1975 Guild G212 - new acquisition.

MancJonny

Reaction score
Hello from the UK to everyone at LTG.

I was here a few years back - my pw is lost in the mists of time, so I am using a new Username:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?154973-Just-purchased-JF30-12&highlight=aj321563

The maple JF30-12 I bought back in 2009, though nice, proved to be just a little too jangly for my taste, money was too tight, something had to go . . . you get the picture. Exit 12-string.

However, I am now the proud owner of a 1975 Guild G212 - I would post pix, but I can't figure out how to do it.

The guitar was purchased here in the UK from a seller who had obtained it from the States (see below) about 8 years back.

It is in vgc - it has the usual marks one would expect in a guitar of this age that has been played and looked after in equal measure: the bridge has been re-glued - not the tidiest of jobs, but very stable. The frets feel as if they are post-'75. The original bridge pins died a long time ago and have been replaced with very expensive ones made in Germany (?). It came in a Hiscox Liteflite Pro II case (where DO all the old original Guild cases go to?!)

Other points of note: nice Brazilian rosewood fingerboard and bridge; and exquisite mahogany for the sides and solid back. It looks and feels a whole lot more . . . "substantial" (is that the word?) than the JF30-12 did. I'd be interested to hear from LTGers re the contrasting characteristics of these two models.

The tone of the guitar is rich and deep, as befits mahogany; and the neck comfortable - though I may wimp out of the 10-47 D'addario EXPs soon in favour of a set of lighter 09-45 gauges. I have tuned it down a whole tone from concert pitch to ease myself back in to playing a 12-er - and it just got a whole lot louder!

Originally, I had tried to obtain a Jumbo-shaped Guild from the US, but I fell foul of the CITES legislation and the piece was stopped dead in its tracks at a US airport. Fortunately, via the EBay Global Shipping Program (GSP), I received a full refund (price + shipping + taxes) within days. There's a lesson here for potential UK guitar enthusiasts thinking of buying from the US - take care! No rosewood is leaving US jurisdiction. None at all. However, the swift return of funds is a counter-balance to the harsh criticism levelled at the GSP - I can't fault it.

There are not that many pics of this model (or the rosewood G312) on the www - the dreadnought shape 12s being far less popular than the Jumbos. The best vid I could find is this not very good review (where the fingerboard dots give it away as a '78 or later model):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otevMOUk1SE

Finally, thanks (once again) to the wonderful Hans Moust both for his Guild Guitar Book - a real treasure trove for Guild owners and enthusiasts - and for his e-mails to me advising re one guitar in particular from the States which I was interested in and had queries about - which he answered with his customary courtesy and knowledge. As it is, because of the CITES legislation, I would probably never have gotten my sticky hands on it anyway, but HM was swift with A1 advice when it was needed.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome (back), Johnny! And congratulations on your Guild acquisition. I had a friend who had a G-212, circa late '70's. It was a fine 12 string, plenty loud and full-voiced!

Sorry to hear about your Rosewood woes (would that be "Woes-wood"?), but it sounds like it all worked out for the best.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats and Welcome Back MancJonny! A 70's G212 is a wonderful 12 string and Highly under rated in my opinion. I had one in perfect condition a few years ago, a 1976 model if I remember correctly. Unfortunately someone offered me the right price and I sold it. I regret selling it every time I see a G212 as it reminds me of what a sweet tone it had, Not to mention the neck was about as perfect as a 12 string neck could get. Congrats on a Great Guild and I hope you enjoy it for years to come!

As far as picture posting on the site, you have to host the photos somewhere else like imageshack or other hosting sites. Once you do that you can copy the photo URL or Address, Click on the picture frame icon in the posting window tool box above your text and paste the address in the line provided. You should be allowed to post 8 photos per post in any given thread. If you have more than 8 photos to share just make another post in the same thread. Look forward to seeing some pictures of that Beautiful Hog 12 string Dread! Also here is a link to the actual site instructions for posting photos if you need any more info.

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?185122-FAQ-Posting-pictures-to-LTG

Have a good one!

TX

MancJonny

Reaction score
Thanks to Christopher Cozad, here is a pic:

gILps4kl.jpg

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What a Beautiful Color that Top has turned over the years, She is Gorgeous Jonny!

TX

MancJonny

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind comments.

The fingerboard and bridge are, I am fairly certain, Brazilian rosewood, and very pretty. The mahogany back and sides, too, though my photography cannot do justice to them.

BIaw448l.jpg

Last edited:

MancJonny

Reaction score
At the guitar tech's now for a fret-dressing - the fret-ends are a little sharp. That and a general poke around by a tried-and-trusted tech, one of only 4 here in the UK who is an authorised Gibson repairman.

The ol' box is worth it . . . .

MancJonny

Reaction score
My pix appear to have disappeared.

Does anyone know why?

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My pix appear to have disappeared.

Does anyone know why?
It appears your photos are (were) all hosted at Photobucket, but the (image) links do not resolve*. You may want to check your Photobucket account.

* How I tested - For Photobucket images, right mouse click on an image and copy the image address/URL (using the pop-up context menu). Paste the URL into the address bar of your browser. Photobucket will rewrite the address, appending some text after the reference to your image (...xx.jpg becomes ...xx.jpg.html). Backspace over the ".html" appended at the end of the adjusted address, and press the Enter/Return key. For current accounts this will resolve in the display of an image. That does not occur in your case, leaving me to suspect an account issue. Hope that is helpful.

MancJonny

Reaction score
Christopher - yep, an account problem.

No real point in trying to resolve it as it may just happen again . . . and again. I have given Photobucket a piece of my mind and will not be using them again.

Can you (or any one else) recommend a different file host? Surely, not all hosts can be that decrepit? There are lots of good pics on these forums, some from way back, and they haven't vanished into the void.

And, if so, is it then possible to "paste over" the old, defunct pix?

Sorry for all the questions, but is irritating to have had effort totally wasted.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
...Can you (or any one else) recommend a different file host?
Click HERE to navigate to a site linking to many alternatives.

...And, if so, is it then possible to "paste over" the old, defunct pix?
I haven't tried. I assume one would upload pictures to a new hosting account, edit the old posts here, remove the defunct links, then recreate the images, linking them to their new, legitimate addresses.

MancJonny

Reaction score
Photobucket & Imgur won't paste.

Sorry.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Photobucket & Imgur won't paste.
Sorry.

We've seen 3 or 4 recent complaints about Photobucket (and those are just the folks I've seen speak up), it appears they're aggressively trying to increase income from users' accounts, after opening the doors to unlimited pop-up advertising.
I think the limited linking ability must be related to that.
Don't know about Imgur but I thought other members here use it successfully.
I don't use any of those services myself.
EDIT:
When I look at your post in the "Edit" function, I don't see the "insert image" brackets at all, and when I copy the image address it's not a "JPG" file.
It should look like this:
"http://i.imgur.com/gILps4k.jpg"
In the meantime Imgur is taking forever to load just like Photobucket.
I can only get to the home page and the pic itself is obscured.
Looks to me like it won't show without a sign-in.
One last test, I pasted the address I showed above in the "insert image" brackets:
gILps4k.jpg

On my display here, all I see is a thoroughly shredded image.
In the meantime the image itself still hasn't finished loading in the window I opened 5 minutes ago.....but that could be an outdated browser problem for me.

Last edited:

MancJonny

Reaction score
Adorshki:

I'm really grateful for your help - thank you so much, I do appreciate your interest and efforts.

I have inserted hyperlinks to the other photos, so hopefully they will work.

Better than nothing.

Last edited:

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
I'm not a computer tech...more of a 'is it plugged in?' type, but suggest, possible photo host issues not withstanding, that you check something:

Settings (near upper right hand corner of screen)
My Settings
-My Acct
-General Settings
-scroll down to Misc Options
- Check to see that 'Enhanced Interface-Full WYSINYG editing is enabled

While you're in your settings you can look around and adjust them to your personal needs. Many people don't know this option is available.

Good luck.

Note to Al...there have been a lot of issues on the net with pages freezing and/or not loading...all over, with no regard as to computer/programs/age/internet provider...a general slowdown.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
...I have inserted hyperlinks to the other photos, so hopefully they will work...
You are so close...

At imgur, use the "Direct Link" text as opposed to the "Image Link" text. It includes the extra information that Al alludes to.

I sent you a Notification containing a short tutorial.