Junior hits puberty!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
They've expanded the "Jumbo Junior" line into the bass. A 23-3/4"(!) scale length; not as mini as the old rubber band Ashburys.
https://guildguitars.com/g/jumbo-junior-bass/
jumbo_junior_bass_side.jpg

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It says they're using D'Addario's short scale strings, but wouldn't those be for 30" scale?

mellowgerman

Reaction score
If those D'Addario shorties are a light gauge length probably won't make a ton of difference. I have used long scale D'Addarios on short scale basses and never had a problem with them -- even if it meant stripping a bit of the outer winding to get it to fit the tuning peg.
That sais, I'd be worried about intonation with these, since any <30" scale bass I've heard of usually has issues in that department. Not to mention super loose string tension if tuned to standard EADG

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Reading the specs, the strings have a nylon core. So much more like stand up bass strings, than elec.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ditto the rest of you. How interesting!!!! I wonder whose idea this was. Obviously, CMG has some creativity behind the scenes in sales/marketing to come out with this cutie.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It says they're using D'Addario's short scale strings, but wouldn't those be for 30" scale?

for electrics at least, a Guild 30" (30.5") scale it would be D'Addario medium scale strings. Other string companies however, call the same length strings "short scale" instead of medium, and those short scale strings- not D'Addarios short scales- would fit Guild 30"...

for many Gibson's, Epi, and Beatle Bass 30"/30.5 Scale, it would be D'Addario short scale strings.

the bridges/tailpieces, distances etc. are different.

the fender mustang bass is a true 30.0" scale and even takes D'Addario medium scale.

The D'Addario short scale strings are really just for basses specifically deisgned for that particular string length, more specifically than the scale length. such as the Epiphone Allen Woody Rumblekat Bass and probably Gibson EB-1, among other Gibsons, and the Beatles bass(es).

That was a big part of the design the Allen Woody himself contributed to that project. he had alot of old Gibsons.

hope this helps!

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
I will likely remain sceptical until I can actually lay my hands on one and take a test drive.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
thats shorter than even a short scale guitar, kinda whakky if u ask me. and any acoustic bass vs. electric/semi/hollow is always a question.

whats the street price? im leaning heavilly towards a beat up/import/reissue (one or all together) Fender Mustang bass or Musicmaster Bass, over this if forced to pick one. (or a Newark St. bass) unless talking about a growing child- but this is just my opinion. its probably really cool. id just be tempted to get a "real" bass. this is like stuck between the Kala U-bass and a six string acoustic guitar.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Correction, $499, according to Elderly's site. (I must have been looking at the guitar first.)

Does that help?

right in 70s Musicmaster Bass or used Newark St. Starfire/M-85 bass zone. possiby a used (acoustic) Westerly USA Guild B-4E Bass on a good day as well!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
right in 70s Musicmaster Bass or used Newark St. Starfire/M-85 bass zone. possiby a used (acoustic) Westerly USA Guild B-4E Bass on a good day as well!
If you see a used NS SF bass for that, LET ME KNOW!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If you see a used NS SF bass for that, LET ME KNOW!

ive seen one or 2 at least asking 600-650. will keep antenna up for ya!

also there was a "stupid deal of the day" for the M-85, for 500 or 600.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting but I don't think I am in the target market. I've had my hands on a few of the "tiny instruments they call basses" and for me, in terms of sound and ergonomics, they only thing they do better is fit in small spaces.

There may be a market for travel basses that I don't follow. Similar instruments have been targeted at guitarists who play guitar and bass and switch a lot and the less than 30" scale makes that easier.