Your favorite singers from the '60's

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Seriously, the connections discussed are very interesting. The author's derogatory opinions of the musical talents of some of the people he discusses are less so.
walrus
Yeah, I was somewhat surprised too, but I at least gotta give 'im creds for admitting his bias re Crosby..
In fact I even questioned his used of the term "Band Of Gypsies" as being anachronistic for 1967, but read it again and realized it was technically "accurate" (Buddy Miles was in the Band Of Gypsies even if they didn't exist for another couple of years yet), just semantically awkward.
Especially after I saw a pic of Tork with Buddy Miles:
4505647_orig.jpg

OK, I just read a few more chapters in "Inside the LC", and......whoooooahhhh....the guy has definitely got an agenda that seems to keep circling back to why, if all our heroes kept getting busted, they never spent any serious time in jail or got drafted. (I haven't finished reading or seen a hard answer yet although implications seem to be pointing in a certain direction)
I question his lack of source citation, but boy, it's juicy reading.
But he's definitely got an agenda, keep it in mind.
I'll leave it at that.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Mens voice? No question in my mind ... Roy Orbison.

Women's voice? Karen Carpenter first recored in 1969 but she was more a '70s artist. I would go with the '60s version of Linda Ronstadt. Think Long, Long Time by the Stone Poneys. Or maybe Leslie Gore.

A lot of great voices during that time and a lot of great songs!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Wes Penre, the author of the Laurel Canyon article, has an interesting "CV" to say the least…

:saturn:

-Dave-

jmascis

Reaction score
I like Dylan and Lou Reed. Probably considered two of the "worst" singers by most...but it shows the power of style and emotion/truth in a message.

For female I'm not sure...maybe Joplin for that ragged 90 year old chain smoker charm.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
For The male voice I have to go with Cap'N Geech and The Shrimp Shack Shooters.

For the Female it is a toss up again between Diane Dane and The Chantrellines.

TX

dbirchett

Reaction score
A couple of other male voices to consider: Bill Medley and Gene Pitney.

silverfox103

Reaction score
Gene Pitney was a voice for the 50's

That is incorrect!

Gene Pitney was a voice of the 60's. He didn't hit the music scene until late 61 or early 62 with some of his biggest hits: "Only Love Can Break a Heart", "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (John Wayne & Jimmy Stewart movie) and "Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa".

Tom

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Syd Barrett!

and Bobbie Gentry.

among other greats listed here. The Beach Boys and Motown stuff though, I could never get sick of.

Reaction score
That is incorrect!

Gene Pitney was a voice of the 60's. He didn't hit the music scene until late 61 or early 62 with some of his biggest hits: "Only Love Can Break a Heart", "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (John Wayne & Jimmy Stewart movie) and "Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa".

Tom

Corrected,sorry oops thanks

decker

Reaction score
Being English, I have to go with Paul McCartney and Dusty Springfield.
Good thread, by the way.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gotta love Ray Charles, Frankie Valli, Etta James, and of course, Elvis.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Kinda surprised nobody's mentioned a couple of guys who were very highly regarded at the time, Simon & Garfunkel.
Although their harmonies were a critical element as a duo and were outstanding, I think I preferred Simon's voice for "The Sound Of Silence", "Mrs. Robinson", and "Cecilia".
About to push the nostalgia button again with some other "forgotten bands":
Spirit's Jay Ferguson: "I Got A Line On You", "Fresh Garbage" and "Mr Skin" and "Nature's Way" (yeah I know, those last 2 are from '70).
Greg Lake for "I Talk To the Wind" from Court of the Crimson King and "Lucky Man" ('70) and "From the Beginning" ('72)
The 5th Dimension for "Up Up and Away", "Aquarius", and in particular Marilyn McCoo for "Wedding Bell Blues".
David Clayton Thomas for "Spinning Wheel" and "God Bless the Child".
Chicago's Robert Lamm "Beginnings" "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" Peter Cetera and Terry Kath were no slouches either, as shown on "Make Me Smile" and "25 Or 6 To 4"
Chris Montez "Call Me" (no that's NOT the Blondie tune.....)
Kingston Trio's "Greenback Dollar" ('62)
Young Rascals "Groovin'" and "Good Lovin'"
Bobby Weir of the Grateful Dead for "Friend of the Devil" and "Truckin'" (both in '70)
Jose Feliciano, this one, recorded in Argentina in '66, before RCA slicked him all up for "Light My Fire":
81Cm4TZcSeL._SY355_.jpg

All this '60's stuff got me thinkin' about the instrumentals of the '60's.....look for new thread.
:friendly_wink:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Adorshki, check out this clip from Essen (1977), long after T. Kath tragically lost control of what was at first a great band,
Daniel
Y'know, I never realized Kath was virtually "a", if not the founder of the band!
Just read his Wiki bio and got my eyes opened.
"Back in the day" I just knew "25 or 6 to 4" was one of my favorite singles but in general didn't go for horns too much, so never really gave those other tunes much respect until I got more open-minded in the '80's.
Even then it was only realizing how good the first 2 albums were.
I always did remember Hendrix mentioning him in a Guitar Player interview from around '69 I think it was, though:
When asked what guitarists he liked, he only mentioned Kath and Jimmy Page.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Loved Ten Years After as a 16 year old, in 1998 the did did a reunion at the House of Blues on the Sunset Strip. The house light director was sick and I was there to do lights for the son's of Robbie Krieger, Dicky Betts and Barry Oakley. I was asked to do the lights for Ten Years After and WOW after the show hung out with them and they signed my set list.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
About to push the nostalgia button again with some other "forgotten bands":
Spirit's Jay Ferguson: "I Got A Line On You", "Fresh Garbage" and "Mr Skin" and "Nature's Way" (yeah I know, those last 2 are from '70).
:

Small world mode on, I took guitar lessons from Jay in 1967 in Granada Hills. He wasn't much of a teacher because I ain't much of a player. At least that's my story.