We're Losing our Guinness

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Some of you may have read some of my tales with Guinness, our Newfoundland dog.

Guinness has had what the vet believes is mega-esophogus for a few months now. He coughs a lot and has been on diuretics to help ease the phlegm, but it's caused him to loose so much weight that he is no longer the majestic alpha male that he once was. He still has no problem putting Annie in her place when she gets out of line, though. Annie, by the way, is eight.

He has been OK and still enjoys his breakfast and dinner, and was still going outside when he needed to, though we've learned to jump up as soon as he gets up because he can't hold it long once the urge hits. He is weak, but he can still climb the stairs to sleep on the landing no matter how much I tell him that it's cooler on the tile floor downstairs, and he still climbs the stairs to sleep on the floor next to my side of the bed. Stubborn to the last, our Guinness.

Sadly, he just told me that it's time. Right now he's snoozing in his favorite hiding spot behind the couch (on the cool tile floor). I'm sure he'll come up to bed later.

I've been through this too many times. Guinness will be 12 this Sunday and it feels like he just came here. He was a rescue, as is our Annie.

This was Guinness back in the day.

_B0Z7124-AltCrop_800.jpg

_B0Z9401-CropAlt-800.jpg

This was Guinness only this January:

5D3_8730_1600.jpg

This is Guinness today:

5D3_2274-Crop_1600.jpg

You can't really see it, but he's thin and weak, and poor guy is just old and tired. I'm starting to know how he feels. It's gonna be a tough couple of days.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry to hear GAD. Newfies are awesome dogs. I got run over by one when I was like 4. Grandparents always had them. Someone at party threw a ball and I was in the way. One of my very first human recollections. That dog was enormous. So cool and mellow. Name was Chloe.

Again, sorry friend. Guinness looks like a fantastic dog and family member.

Opsimath

Reaction score
So sorry to hear. It's never easy, but part of it. Wishing the best for you, your family and all who will miss Guinness. All dogs go to Heaven.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear this GAD. As another lover of Big dogs we know it all to well that the time we have with them here on this earth is extremely special and often too short. My Danes both turned eight over the 4th of July and I make a point to cherish every moment I have with them. They are both rescues as well and I make a conscious effort to make sure that they both have the fullest most wonderful life a family member could ever dream of and more. My heart and my Families Heart weighs extremely heavy tonight and goes out to you and your family during this time. You, your family, and especially Guinness and Annie are in our prayers.

I have had big dogs for most of my life. I once had a person ask me why I continued to choose Big Dogs when their life expectancy was shorter than smaller breeds. My Answer was simple, In the short time we are blessed to have them in our lives they give more love, laughter, and friendship than any others could give in 3 lifetimes. They are amazingly Magnificent Creatures that daily remind you of the true meaning of the term Unconditional. Thinking of you and yours with a heavy heart.

TX

F312

Reaction score
One of the reasons I won't have dogs is they're lives are so short and the grief is so strong when they leave. I can't handle it, however I now have two cats that were born under my shed and now, well now I have to take care of them. Sorry to hear about your Guinness. A very nice looking guy.

Ralph

silverfox103

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this GAD. Have always had dogs for 68 years. Despite, the road you have to go down with them eventually, they are definitely worth it. They do bring joy and happiness.

Tom

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very sorry to hear this news Gary, and I have been there quite a few times myself. Never gets any easier, either. Twelve seems like a ripe old age for a giant breed like a Newfie, and of course he was very lucky to land with you. Best wishes to you all.

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
My love of dogs both big and small is well known here, and I truly feel your pain. Guinness was blessed to have had the company of you, your family and Annie for what was a very good dog's life.

Saying "it's time" is the hardest call a dog or cat person can make, but it is the price we pay for getting all the joy these guys provide. Best wishes to you and yours.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So sorry to hear. Putting down a pet is so awful, but on goes the cycle of life, I'm afraid, GAD. 12 years is a good life.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry you have to go through this, it's so tough to lose a friend who shows unconditional love every day like they do. We have three large Goldendoodles, Mama and two of her pups, ages 8, 5 and 3. I wish everyone got that excited when I walk in the door!

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
My heart goes out to you, Gary, as I know how hard that is to do what's best for those special friends, our beloved dogs.

The memories will always be there, and that is special too.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My condolences, GAD. Had to put a cat down a few years ago after 17 years, much tougher than I thought. Wishing you the strength to get though it.

walrus

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Really sorry to hear this, Gary. Our girl Katie (a blue point Balinese) was 22 when we had to take that last trip to the vet. These decisions are THE most difficult to make and even when you've made them, you feel like crap. Be strong my brother! You're doing the right thing. Doesn't make it any easier though..... so very sorry.

Antney

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear Gary. I recently went through it as well. I'm sure you realize you both were lucky to have each other. My thoughts are with you.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My old Black Lab named Daisy Mae also had Mega E. We worked out the things we had to do to help her be able to swallow her food. She lived to be 16 + years old and she just died here at home on May 31st of this year. She was the best dog that ever owned me and it hurt like hell to see her go. I always say that the hurt is too much and I won't go through it ever again but then, I stop to realize that it's not about me at all. It's about these great rescue/shelter dogs that need homes, love and a family. So, I dive right back in again.

Anyway, I know the Mega E is a tough gig and I wish you and Guinness all the best. He's as lucky to have you in his life as you are to have him in yours.

All the best!!! I'll think good thoughts.

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
GAD - I surely do feel your pain. I had to do the same trip just last night with a 16 year old Husky/German Shepard mix that was also a rescue. We had her from about 2. Just remember the good times and all they shared with us. For me this was the ninth dog over my 60 plus years. They are all special and all part of the family. Peace!!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nobody loves him more than you, Gary. You gave him the best life possible.