We're Losing our Guinness

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
It is so sorrowful to lose a dog, yet even more painful to watch them suffer. But I have difficulty imagining life without a dog (and more dogs) around! So here's to Guinness and the memories you made with him! And here's to the next puppy you bring home!

Antney

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear he's gone. Soon nothing but good memories will remain. You were lucky to have each other.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Post-Guinness-Guinness.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

You know, when you first posted this, that is exactly what I was thinking especially since Guinness wants to open a brewery in Baltimore. When I saw the half full glass I lost it. Sending a beloved cat across the Rainbow Bridge was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life and before this post I had no words for you. I still don't have words but I will raise a glass to your beloved dog and those who loved him. And we will both cry in our beer.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Can't think of a better way to end a difficult day... well done.
I haven't the same brew but I'll drink a toast with you now in honor
of Guinness!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and especially Annie my friend. What a wonderful thing that Guinness got to spend his life with the most loving family a dog could dream of and what a wonderful thing that you all got to spend those faithful years with Guinness. My heart hurts for your loss but there is comfort to know that he is no longer in distress. RIP Guinness and may your Journey be a Glorious one.

TX

Opsimath

Reaction score
So sorry to hear that Guinness is gone. In the last few months we have lost a 22 year old cat and his three girls, all 20 years old, along with our 12 year old German Shepherd. I understand completely where you are right now. I am sad for you and everyone who knew Guinness. Hoping the good memories will soon crowd out the ache.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, all. It's never easy, and we've been there too many times. This time was a bit different because this was the first time that the kids were cognizant of what was happening. They stayed with him right to the end which made me quite proud. That's not easy, but it's right, and there was never any question for them even after I made sure they knew that they could leave if it got too difficult for them.

Guinness was a rescue, as is Annie. He came to us because his first family felt he was too dangerous around their son who had a clotting disorder. He's been a neurotic mess ever since. Guinness came to us with the name "Grimace" which my wife immediately changed because she thought it was too unhappy. "Guinness makes people happy" was her reasoning. :smug:

Guinness was a big baby that was more braun than brains when he was being brave. If you'd like a look into the mind of Guinness, this tale sums it up pretty well: http://www.gad.net/Blog/2011/09/09/mr-beepers-and-the-fortress-of-solitude/ This one also kind of shows what it was like to be Guinness in a house full of Annie: http://www.gad.net/Blog/2010/12/03/dog-dinner-detente/

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Gad
Guinness sounds like he was much like our Rottweiler (MuShu). Same guardian of my food mind set and the same "bark loudly at that noise while I run for safety" actions. We knew she was very close to her companion Grace (German Shepard Elkhound Mix) that we laid to rest a month or so back. For the next week the Rottweiler would barely eat (and not from either of the dishes she had previously shared), would not drink from the shared water bucked in the back yard and in general was just lost. We feared we were going to lose her just because she was so co-dependent on her "sister". Realizing she needed another companion, we acquired an 8 month old Australian Cattle Dog. She is still grumpy over the food but otherwise she is coming around nicely.

So here is hoping Annie's next companion is as special as Guinness. And I will raise a glass to Guinness, Grace and all those other special pets.http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/images/smilies1/tears_of_joy.png

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
OMG, Cynthia! Lost 94 years of pet company in the last few months? 2017 has definitely not been kind to you!

Gary, what great blogs! I can't help but recall the 'Thumbs feeding routine. Although GSD Freya had never shown any signs of food aggression we thought it best to keep hers and Pugzli's food bowls on opposite sides of the kitchen, as Freya's mouth was bigger than the pug's head and were there to be a misunderstanding it seemed unlikely that he would get a second chance.

So the pattern became well established. Freya would wolf her food down is 14.9 seconds, then wait patiently while Pugzli dined at a more leisurely pace. Upon finishing each would cross the kitchen to see if the other had left anything.

It never happened. Never. But for eight years the routine stood. "Maybe today is the day".

May you both cherish your memories which will last forever.

dbirchett

Reaction score
One of the reasons I won't have dogs is they're lives are so short and the grief is so strong when they leave. I can't handle it, however I now have two cats that were born under my shed and now, well now I have to take care of them. Sorry to hear about your Guinness. A very nice looking guy.

Ralph

“I have sometimes thought of the final cause of dogs having such short lives and I am quite satisfied it is in compassion to the human race; for if we suffer so much in losing a dog after an acquaintance of ten or twelve years, what would it be if they were to live double that time?” Sir Walter Scott

dbirchett

Reaction score
One more, Gary ...

Missing You

I stood by your bed last night ...I came to have a peep.
I could see that you'd been crying, and you found it hard to sleep.
I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me. I haven't left you. I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here".
I was close to you at breakfast... I watched you pour your tea.
You were thinking of the many times your hands reached down to touch me.
I was with you at my grave today... you tend to it with such care.
I want to reassure you. That I'm not lying there.
I walked you towards the house as you fumbled for the key.
I gently put my paw on you...I smiled and said, "it's me".
You looked so tired as you sank into your chair.
I tried so hard to let you know that I was sitting there.
It's wonderful for me to be so near you everyday,
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away".
You sat there quietly, then smiled... I think you knew
That in the stillness of the evening I was very close to you.
And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to meet you and we'll stand there side by side.
I have so many things to show you ! There's so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out, then come home to be with me.

By: Colleen Fitzsimmons © In memory of Shadow