Nightbird 85 solid color - maple top ? Neck profile ?

Reaction score
I am new to the Nightbird stuff . Been looking at a solid color 85 . It is not local so I was wondering about a couple of things . The top is a solid color - would this generally indicate that it is a maple top ? How is the neck profile on the 85's - medium + wide ? Thanks !

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am new to the Nightbird stuff . Been looking at a solid color 85 . It is not local so I was wondering about a couple of things . The top is a solid color - would this generally indicate that it is a maple top ? How is the neck profile on the 85's - medium + wide ? Thanks !

Welcome!

Gotta see pics to know more. If you have or can get the serial number, email it to Hans who can tell you more.

FWIW I've seen a fair number of solid-colored Nightbirds but I've learned never to assume anything about Guilds ever.

Stephen

Reaction score

Almost guaranteed to be a spruce top. I would venture to guess that all of the black Nightbirds -- the most appropriate color for a NIGHTbird -- were spruce. Arlen Roth had a red spruce top Nightbird -- not my cuppa. The red maple top Nightbird that recently belonged to Ron Thorn, then sold to someone here, I believe, now that was yummy!

kakerlak

Reaction score
Weren't some of the unbound ones like poplar or something? I remember a blue one that was for sale for a long time.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Weren't some of the unbound ones like poplar or something? I remember a blue one that was for sale for a long time.

The Nightbird ST (insanely rare) was poplar, unbound, and came in solid colors:

You might be thinking of the insanely rare Nightbird DX that he won't sell me no matter how much I badger him:

https://reverb.com/item/3290923-guild-nightbird-1991-blue

ude1hjdrxga1v5rzbvmx.jpg

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also, I could be wrong but I think the ST and DX wasn't until '90-91.