What are our alternatives to photobucket?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Right GAD?? I guess 6 years and 8,731 posts later you all might have a different point of view!!! LMAO!! I need to STFU!! HAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAA!!! :encouragement:

LOL. I'm going to go out on a limb and think STFU isn't in you're skill set, just like it's not in mine. :eagerness:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Qvart: Man, that sure is pretty! What model?

I didn't realize allowing members to upload images would cost extra and gobble bandwidth...

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have been using a service called PBase to host photos since I went digital (www.PBase.com). It was a little squirrely in the first couple years (growing pains... it started as someone hobby), but has been very stable for the last five years. IIRC, $23 gets you 1 GB for a year, no ads. Double that for 2 GB. Don't know how that cost compares to others, but being ad-free is a MAJOR plus.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
At my level of verbosity, it's easily twice that.
HAAAAA HAAAAA!! LMAO!! I like to think of myself as a rather succinct verbose person, but that may be a delusion which allows me to live with myself...... somewhat. But levels of verbosity (favorite word) should be recognized and studied, especially when speaking of disc space and bandwidth. But words are NOTHING compared to images..... internetingly speaking. Did I just make a new word? :devilish:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
LOL. I'm going to go out on a limb and think STFU isn't in you're skill set, just like it's not in mine. :eagerness:
It's not.... at all. But it would be YOUR (possessive) vs. YOU'RE (contraction for you are)...... just tryna help out Gary......

Just trying to get my post count up...... :smiley_simmons:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's not.... at all. But it would be YOUR (possessive) vs. YOU'RE (contraction for you are)...... just tryna help out Gary......

Just trying to get my post count up...... :smiley_simmons:

Holy hell - you caught me on a your/you're! That's worth at least another post. 10 GAD points for you.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
QV/Fro, Could you guys describe the process for what you're doing? I'd like to have some sort of recommendation for LTG membership soon, but unfortuantely I'm busy doing "real" work today. :)

I created a shared album, tried to make it visible to anyone with the link. I then displayed the pic and copied the URL to paste here. If everyone can see Pliny then it worked. Otherwise....

Using Google Drive rather than Photos might be more straighforward but that is not on the lisk of tasks I need to accomplish today, OR ELSE so I don't expect to experiment soon.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Frono,

I can't see your Pliny but I can see my orange guitar, IF I'm viewing the forum
while logged into google photos.

If I log out of google photos and refresh the LTG page... the orange guitar is gone.
Either way, logged into google photos or not, cannot see Pliny, although
was able to for a time yesterday morning.

Will continue to experiment with google photos...

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Frono,

I can't see your Pliny but I can see my orange guitar, IF I'm viewing the forum
while logged into google photos.

If I log out of google photos and refresh the LTG page... the orange guitar is gone.
Either way, logged into google photos or not, cannot see Pliny, although
was able to for a time yesterday morning.

Will continue to experiment with google photos...

OK. I'm not logged into anything Google with my browser but I do have Google Drive on my desktop and it is logged in. That may be why I can see it. Sounds like the path to check with Google is Google Drive. Thank you.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
HAAAAA HAAAAA!! LMAO!! I like to think of myself as a rather succinct verbose person
Being a contradiction of terms, I'd say that describes you quite concisely.
But words are NOTHING compared to images..... internetingly speaking. Did I just make a new word? :devilish:
I believe the proper term is "interwebbingly".
But I think that went out with "GUI" (Graphic User Interface), pronounced "gooey".
Read between those lines.
:glee:

MLBob

Reaction score
Test:

Duct_zpsudepvjii.jpg

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
In my case, "STFU" is usually preceded by "STFD and..." I think I learned that in the Navy.

Last edited:

MLBob

Reaction score
Ok, so I just uploaded that picture of Red Green from my picture files into my Photobucket account. Then I clicked on the little 3-bar thingy in the upper left corner of the thumbnail of it that appeared in my "Library" after uploading. Clicked on "share" which brings up an IMG to copy and paste on my post at LTG (which is always how I've done it). Seems to still work..... for now.

I only keep a minimal amount of photos on Photobucket, pretty much for sites like LTG which don't give me an option to download an image directly from my files, or when a site has a limit on the number of photos that can be directly uploaded to a post, and I have more than that to place in a particular post.... or if I want to use an image without re-sizing it to meet a size restriction.

Like the rest of you, I have been getting the "Third party" & upgrade notices (and ignoring them) . What am I doing that's different?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't post images myself, but also have seen many references to http://imgur.com/
Good point, sounds at least o.k.: https://www.thebalance.com/imgur-review-1357009
There are enough opinions about that Imgur also got worse over time but at least it seems to work.

I had the bad experience already when I had lost all my LTG pictures when minus.com shut down in 2015. Minus.com was really great I thought, but overnight shut down due to unknown reasons. Well, I had the pictures all saved locally on a hard drive but all links on LTG are dead which is a pitty as I had posted lots of pictures like from NAMM and so on. I might have to look into IMGUR now.

Ralf

Last edited: