Best strings

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
We all have our favorites - mine are Earthwood 80/20 Lights. Do a search and you will find (too many!) plenty of string threads. to read.

walrus

crank

Reaction score
A never ending string of string threads!

I am partial to D'addario Phosphur Bronze light guage on my G37.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I own a D30 maple westerly, I wonder what brand of string sounds the best on it.

It probably came with D'Addario EJ-16's, uncoated pb lights.
They made Guild-labelled acoustic strings for a long time.
One slight difference is that Guild's L-350 set used an .025 G as opposed to the .024 used in EJ-16's.
I buy an .025 single to sub into the set because I'm a "Factory stock" kind of guy, and if Guild still offered the original L-350's I'd still be using 'em.
Every time I've tried something else I've always come back to D'Addarios.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome, nice Guild! I've played D'Addario phosphor bronze mediums EJ17 on my dreads forever, but right now I'm trying their Bluegrass set, and I like them. Same gauge as mediums except the top two strings are a bit lighter. Certain strings will make your D-30 ring like a bell. There is a big difference in tone between lights and mediums to me, and the "feel" is also an important part of the equation.

By the way, the answer to your question is "whichever strings sound best to your ears."

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I own a D30 maple westerly, I wonder what brand of string sounds the best on it.

Oh man, this will blow some of these old LTG guys away who are aware of the praises I've always had for JP strings, and still do. However, on the only maple dread I've got, I stuck a set of very expensive Thomastick Plectrums on it, the guitar not only came to life, it became a joy to play. At about $25/set, I don't think I'd want to buy them every month, and I still love Pearse strings on my rosewood guitars, but on that maple D30 dread, those strings are amazing. It's all I'll put on the D30. Just for the heck of it, but 1 set and try them.

West

MancJonny

Reaction score
I've recently been converted to Ernie Ball 80/20 Earthwoods (11-52 gauge) - but that is for an old Gibson J-50, which has a mahogany back and sides. Probably too bright for maple. If I owned a maple piece, I'd be trying phosphor bronze strings first.

F312

Reaction score
What Jim said, I think I have tried every brand of strings and each one has its own sound, but I haven't tried the Tomasstick which I'll have to give a try.

Ralph

carisman789

Reaction score
Well I had a luthier set it up because I had changed string gauges, and he put Jp slightly lights on it and said it's the best tone. But I replaced with d'addrios custom lights and I much prefer the twang, and the small step up in guage. I try martin longlife sp custom lights. The have a louder chime but even higher tension; didn't like them, back to d'addrios.

carisman789

Reaction score
my guitar is set up with JP slightly light phosphor bronze strings; by a luthier. What about the Thomastick Plectrums? Are they only in bronze and do that have sets with those gauges?

carisman789

Reaction score
Well, I finally settled with the JP slightly lights. The elixirs and lifespan are too slippery. The d'addarios are good, but because the base strings are slightly heavier guages than them; not as easy as to fret. I'm not muscle fingers. I'm not a finger picker so I think the thomastiks for one thing would sound more classical and I would need another truss rod adustment because of the lower tension.

tarheelguild

Reaction score
I too own a D30 which I recently bought on Reverb. I happen to use D'addario Phosphor Bronze (light gauge) on all my dreads. I just like the sound but that doesn't mean there isn't a better brand out there. I'm just following the old axiom: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Tony
'84 D40 NT
'96 D25 CH
'96 D4 NT
'98 D225
'98 D30 AB
'00 Taylor 414ce

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I too own a D30 which I recently bought on Reverb. I happen to use D'addario Phosphor Bronze (light gauge) on all my dreads. I just like the sound but that doesn't mean there isn't a better brand out there. I'm just following the old axiom: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Tony
'84 D40 NT
'96 D25 CH
'96 D4 NT
'98 D225
'98 D30 AB
'00 Taylor 414ce

+1. and they go with everything!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am currently playing D'Addario EJ16's .012 - .056 and they sound pretty darn good. I bought then on-line for $4.95 per set. I am happy with them for now.

I know Daddario makes a light/medium hybrid set but I'm pretty sure the EJ16's are a 12-53 set and not a 12-56. I love the EJ series as well but I guess I have a certain oil in my fingers that causes them to tarnish not long after installing them. That is the only reason I started using other strings sets as the EJ's tone is wonderful to me when they are new.

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I know Daddario makes a light/medium hybrid set but I'm pretty sure the EJ16's are a 12-53 set and not a 12-56.
It's been so long since I've changed strings I'd forgotten that's what I use.
Thanks for the reminder.
:glee:
Yes, they're 12-53 but when I want to duplicate the L350 set that D'Addario made for Guild and which were installed on all dreads and jumbo's from at least '95-'02 I buy a single .025 wound G (also available from D'A) to sub into the set.
I love the EJ series as well but I guess I have a certain oil in my fingers that causes them to tarnish not long after installing them.
That would actually be acids and salts in the sweat/oil causing the oxidation, but you have my sympathy.
It's the same stuff that'll degrade NCL finishes over time if you're not careful. (Said primarily for those who may not know it yet , I'm pretty sure you know about that, TX)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Joe might beg to differ :) oh, but he would be using the EJ19s...
Didja ever wonder who originally suggested he call it an F112-6?
Because it followed the Porsche method for calling the 6-cylinder 914 a 914-6?
Hmmm?
Which reminds me, didja ever wonder who suggested "Connie" for Chaz's NH 12-er?
BY the way, have you ever thought of calling "the Br" something a little warmer, like "Brownie"?
Hmmmm?
:biggrin-new: