Guild X-500 - help dating

X-170AB

Reaction score
I just bought my 5th Guild, and 3rd Guild archtop, a beautiful blonde (aka natural) X-500. She's a beauty! I'll post pictures shortly, trying to figure out a new strategy in the wake of Photobucket madness.

The guitar has a Westerly label, with serial # AK500147. That number is a bit "off the charts" from the numbers published online. Could anyone tell me when this X-500 was manufactured?

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, they can, but not me !

Hans may shortly read your post and give you some accurate date. Nice guitar to have the question about. :)

X-170AB

Reaction score
Here are some photos from the seller:

l_dsc_7174170620_.jpg

l_dsc_7176170620_.jpg

l_dsc_7179170620_.jpg

l_dsc_7177170620_.jpg

l_dsc_7181170620_.jpg

X-170AB

Reaction score
As the X-500 was listed as a 1995, I was fairly confident it would still have HB-1s (or at least the SD HBs), like my 1997 X-170. But now that I have the guitar in hand, it seems that the pickups are the Fender HBs, and they definitely are muddier, less clear-sounding.

l_dsc_7173170620_.jpg

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
As the X-500 was listed as a 1995, I was fairly confident it would still have HB-1s (or at least the SD HBs), like my 1997 X-170. But now that I have the guitar in hand, it seems that the pickups are the Fender HBs, and they definitely are muddier, less clear-sounding.

It's an X-500 from the year 2001.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

l_dsc_7173170620_.jpg

That is a beautiful example of a late Westerly made X500! The late built Westerly Electric models are my Favorites as the wood selection they used during that period in my opinion was some of the finest grades of Maple and Spruce both visually and tonally I have ever seen or heard. Have the same figuring that is in your X500's maple on my 2000 Starfire V back and sides. While the Fender made pickups can be a bit underwhelming they do have a plus to them. They are the same size as all other Standard sized Humbuckers instead of being a bit larger like the HB1/SD1 models. This means that a regular sized set of humbucker style pickup rings will mount right up to the guitar without and modifications or new screw holes to drill. Then you have an unlimited choice of replacement pickups from pretty much all the pickup manufacturers that will drop right in and be totally reversible if you decide to return it to original and sell it at a later date. I have some Duncan Custom Shop Phat Staple Humbucker mounts in my Starfire V and I love the way it sounds! Congrats on a Gorgeous X500 X-170AB!

TX

X-170AB

Reaction score
Hans, thanks much for giving the build date. As a 2001 it can be expected to have the Fender HBs (I checked, and in fact it does, to my chagrin). Pity, the body is so well made and in such good condition. Its a bit lighter than older X-500s I've played, too.

Thanks also GAD. I've reread your article on Guild humbuckers and this gave me the info needed to determine what's installed on this guitar. As you mention, the good thing is that the Fender HBs are standard size, so I have to think if I want to keep the body but change the pickups.

I wonder if anyone has done the unthinkable... made the necessary 'adjustments' to fit real HB-1s onto a Fender-era Guild archtop?

X-170AB

Reaction score
Thanks, TX, for the congratulations. The woods and the overall body construction are indeed superlative! That's the dilemma!

You are right about the opportunity with the pickups being standard size. After I get over the disappointment of them not being HB-1s, I'll have to think this over. The thought of HB-sized Dynas had already crossed my mind, but thanks for reminding me about the Phat Staples - in the recordings/videos I've heard, I really liked their sound.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wouldn't alter that guitar. The minute you cut into the top it's worth substantially less - I don't care what kind of pickups you put in it. The only thing you lose by replacing the Fender HB1s is the cool and VERY Guild-looking covers. There are a lot of very cool pickup choices these days that would make that guitar sound amazing. Hell, even I have gone with non-Guild pickups in a Guild from time to time:

Guild-X170T-TVJones.jpg

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks, TX, for the congratulations. The woods and the overall body construction are indeed superlative! That's the dilemma!

You are right about the opportunity with the pickups being standard size. After I get over the disappointment of them not being HB-1s, I'll have to think this over. The thought of HB-sized Dynas had already crossed my mind, but thanks for reminding me about the Phat Staples - in the recordings/videos I've heard, I really liked their sound.

My dream X500 starting point if I ever get the chance to get one is a late Westerly model like you have in the photos. Some of the reasons being is that like I mentioned earlier the woods are some of the finest in my opinion that Guild or any manufacturer has ever used. The "Natural" finish is one of my favs for showing off that wood. The pickup choices are limitless without permanently altering the guitar. If I remember correctly (anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this one) the finish on the late Westerly X500's was still Nitro. The master Volume is a plus in my book and something I would add if it weren't already there. One other is that the QA/QC was at an all time high during this period of production.

What does all this mean? It means that I could set the guitar up how I like with a nice set of Phat Staples of the Black and Gold persuasion. (I know folks are going to frown on this next one a bit but it is just my style) I could install a USA Made Gold Guild branded B6 Guildsby (Of which I have a few still NOS in the packages from New Hartford) and my choice of bridge setup. All of that and I might also consider having a custom pickguard made for it in the pattern of the earlier 60's rounded Guild Pickguards that came on the X175 and X500's instead of the more Modern Stair Step design that it currently has. Mike at http://quickguards.com/ can pretty much make the guard and I am almost positive he can stencil the "Guild" logo and outer edge pinstriping like the 60's originals as well. I would keep the Gold Grovers but put the imperial step knobs on them or some nice ebony knobs. That would pretty much be my Dream X-500 and you have the perfect candidate in yours. Now that I have finished building someone else's guitar they way I would want it, LOL, I will let you get back to enjoying your new acquisition.:surprise:

One more thing, It is your Guitar and therefore you can do what you want with it. I would only suggest to try and avoid at all costs cutting into the top to add bigger pickups like the original HB1's. If that is something you can't live without I would try to find an earlier model like a 1997-1998 that had the SD1's from the factory. That way a HB1 swap wouldn't require any irreversible routing or mods to the wood itself. Just a suggestion as always and I hope you enjoy the guitar for a really long time. If you don't, Put me on the list of interested in it should you decide to sell it. Have a good one!

TX

Last edited:

X-170AB

Reaction score
Hans,

One follow-up question if you read this. Since the guitar is from 2001, would it have been made in Westerly, or (despite the label) in Corona?

ArchtopAnimal

Reaction score
The finish has yellowed nicely . When mine was new , it was way too pale , but looks like yours now . It's a heavy guitar, isn't it.
Mine's a lefty , and they didn't have lefty ebony bridges so just used a rosewood one . I wasn't amused with that slack *** attitude .
I had a suitable one made here . I also ditched the pickups for something decent years ago .

X-170AB

Reaction score
Back with a bit of an update - after thinking long and hard, I decided to return this guitar to the seller (Frets Guitar Centre in the UK). As beautiful as the body was, I wanted the sound of HB-1s and didn't want to have to do a pickup swap right away (I already have guitars I can use for pickup swaps).

So I sent the X-500 blond back, in the evaluation time period offered by the dealer. Now, nearly two weeks later, I'm still waiting for the money to come back into my account. Frets claims that its "somewhere in my bank's system", but the bank reps I've spoken to at my branch have seen nothing. I'm in touch with the dealer and hoping this can still be resolved, but am getting increasingly nervous. Does anyone have any experience (positive or negative) with this seller (who carries Guild flattops and electrics as well as archtops)?

X-170AB

Reaction score
OK, happily the money came through. It was apparently just 'stuck in the system' for a long time. Everything is resolved.

So I sent the X-500 blond back, in the evaluation time period offered by the dealer. Now, nearly two weeks later, I'm still waiting for the money to come back into my account. Frets claims that its "somewhere in my bank's system", but the bank reps I've spoken to at my branch have seen nothing. I'm in touch with the dealer and hoping this can still be resolved, but am getting increasingly nervous. Does anyone have any experience (positive or negative) with this seller (who carries Guild flattops and electrics as well as archtops)?