soundboard protectors

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
A banjo style armrest? something like this?

john-pearse-jumbo-armrest-11.gif

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I made a John Pearse-style armrest (as Default displayed, above) for one of my 12 strings, right after seeing one for the first time. Cleverly, it attaches non-destructively with double-stick tape, but only at the very edge of the guitar. It incorporates a step design which allows it to operate as a ledge, keeping both itself and your arm away from the soundboard. It adds to the depth of the body along with adding a bit of weight to the guitar, both of which may take some getting used to. Otherwise, I think it can be a viable accessory. In some cases or for some players though, it may be a solution looking for a problem.

Your arm can certainly affect the sound of the guitar. There is no question that draping your arm across the lower bout will have a muting effect. A simple test involving laying your arm on the soundboard while plucking the strings will prove that to your own ears. However, the degree to which the sound is muffled by minimal contact as it crests over the binding is relative to the amount of actual contact (and the ability of the measuring device used to detect it). The larger the lower bout (width and/or depth) relative to the length of the player's arm, the more contact potential. Depending upon all of the pertinent factors, posture may help to minimize contact, at least up to a point.

Sweat is a definite consideration. I have seen firsthand how aesthetically damaging it can be over time, although it has no (audible) affect upon tone. That sticky, gooey muck that used to be a hard, glossy finish is undesirable, to say the least. When sweat is present, if you do not play with a long-sleeve shirt, or your guitar/arm length/posture would force contact, and you can predict sweat damage in your future, the John Pearse-style armrest may be appropriate. Now, for those of us who like to rest our chin or lay our face your face on the upper bout…

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't recall much talk. I cannot recall anyone ever reporting they had one. Previous discussions seemed to end up with "wear long sleeves" which is certainly cheaper and not going to effect the sound. There is a general belief that adding things to the top will effect tone and volume but whether there is any experience behind that, I don't know.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You mean these guitar "vests"?

http://www.smithguitarvests.com/

walrus
Nice find! This product would qualify for Al's infamous descriptor of "sonic be-mufflement" (see Post #54)

guitar-vests.jpg

"Each guitar vest is made with premium high grade 4 way stretch material. The same stretch material that's used in top active sports & swimwear."

I wonder if they come in a 2-piece...

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I kinda like the one Default posted, but I wouldn't be caught dead with one of those "guitar vests" on my Guilds, LOL! That is quite possibly the ugliest guitar accessory I have ever seen!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I kinda like the one Default posted, but I wouldn't be caught dead with one of those "guitar vests" on my Guilds, LOL! That is quite possibly the ugliest guitar accessory I have ever seen!

+1. And it sure can't help the sound of the guitar!

walrus

carisman789

Reaction score
well I was on about armrests. I read the John Pearse one doesn't cover to where a person's arm usually rest (some pun, huh?) on the soundboard. I've always used a boot sock with toe end cut out.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
For what it is worth, the John Pearse-style armrest I added to my 12 string works perfectly as intended; it definitely holds my arm off the soundboard. No sweat! Placement/positioning is critical.

F-512_Armrest.jpg

Modified socks are pretty popular with the Classical guitar playing crowd, as are commercial sleeves, like this one from Oasis:

newOasisSleeve.jpg

Last edited:

F312

Reaction score
I have used a sock before and now a cotton cut off sleeve but the cotton dust builds up fast and now I'm looking for a material that doesn't shed.

Ralph

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
What, now I gotta wear an "outfit" to play guitar? A little sweat is good for it! :nevreness:

Made to be played!

walrus

Antney

Reaction score
If you're worried about sweat on your soundboard you should take up the oboe

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Doesn't that "guitar vest" idea kinda defeat the purpose of having a beautiful looking and sounding acoustic guitar? The only thing worse would be a plaid one, LOL.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Modified socks are pretty popular with the Classical guitar playing crowd, as are commercial sleeves, like this one from Oasis:

newOasisSleeve.jpg

Oh man and I thought knee-socks were hot!!
:adoration:
But since I won't tolerate any restriction of movement at the elbow, short sleeves are mandatory for me when playing.

Them guitars was abducted by aliens and subjected to be-mufflement and possibly worse.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I always used to play live in short sleeves and my Dreadnought stage guitar eventually would start a friction burn on the meat of my strumming forearm. I never used a sock but I used to wear under armor long sleeve shirts with the sleeves cut off under my welding shirt when working in the summertime to keep cool. I wound up keeping some of the sleeves from those shirts and trying one on my strumming arm. It worked great and didn't mess with the finish on the guitar either. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal getting a little friction burn on your forearm but when you are playing 4-5 gigs a week each being 3-4 hour shows it becomes extremely annoying and your friction burn doesn't have time to heal so it just gets worse and worse. The sleeve idea worked great and being the super stretchy under armor material it didn't impede my elbow movement at all.

TX