F512 abalone sound hole and black pick guard history query/question

Reaction score
While trying to find a F-512 or JF65R/12 or JF55/12 or JF65/12 Rosewood guitar, I've seen some with Abalone around the sound hole and a BLACK pick guard AND some with no abalone (sound hole) and a tortoise pick guard.
Does anyone know why?
I called Guild and they said it was probably due to a lack of materials.
That doesn't make much sense to me.
I've seen this difference in F-50r, JF-55 and JF-65 models.
Personally I think a abalone decorated sound hole with the tortoise style pick guard would be the prettiest.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It is a difference in the year it was manufactured and the model it is, Not lack of materials. If you want the Abalone Rosette and the tortoise pickguard you need to look for New Hartford made Guilds which would be 2009-2014. The models they produced were F50, F50R, F412, and F512 in the Jumbo body shape with abalone and Tortoise. Some earlier Tacoma made models may have the same rosette and pickguard. The model designations are the same and those were made from 2005-2008.

TX

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
...Personally I think a abalone decorated sound hole with the tortoise style pick guard would be the prettiest.
Welcome to LTG!

The absence of Abalone around the soundhole along with black pickguards was rather iconic with certain models of the Guilds of yesteryear. It was "the look" of a Guild. As TX has pointed out, what you describe can be found, those guitars do exist, though in more recent model years. At a cost, of course, Abalone can be added to most any guitar. If the pickguard was applied over the finish it, too, can be swapped out. Those older models having pickguards that were first adhered directly to the soundboard and then sprayed over are much more difficult to replace (but it can be done).

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I concur.....

I totally concur. I just love me an abalone rosette!

f50r557.jpg

F50R

tommym

Reaction score
Personally I think a abalone decorated sound hole with the tortoise style pick guard would be the prettiest.

I forgot to say that IF the guitar has an ebony bridge and fretboard, then I prefer a black pick guard to match.

Tommy