I Miss the '80's

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I could swear GAD started a thread with this title recently but can't find it.
Oh well maybe he just says it a lot.
Anyway, stumbled across some photos that made me realize I miss the '80's, too!
Big hair:
weird_science_movie_image_kelly_lebrock.jpg

Big shoulder pads:
Joan%20Collins%20Alexis%20Carrington.jpg

Mr. & Mrs. Van Halen at home:
ea55d3d3eeae45fae9e3d47c1c5c7755.jpg

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I miss parts of the 80s. I met my wife in 87 and got married in 89. Just had our anniversary and went Zip Lining.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
After "Big Hair" and "Big Shoulder pads", I though this was next.

DeadlySaneCrab-max-1mb.gif

I miss parts of the 80s. I met my wife in 87 and got married in 89. Just had our anniversary and went Zip Lining.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I just miss the 80's because I was much younger and healthier!

And Al, I think Mr. and Mrs. Van Halen are in school...

walrus

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I miss the '80s for the big hair too. It was fun. That said, if we had big hair now, well, let's just say that I'm afraid I'd need more than hair extensions to cut the muster. ;)

Musically, the rise and ubiquity of the synthesizer was either a second coming or an apocalypse, depending on your perspective.

(oh, and am I wrong to say that Kelly LeBrock's picture there from Weird Science... well... she still looks gorgeous to me.)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
'85 and '86 were two of my fave years of living. 18-19 years old. Great times. I had a sweet lawsuit takamine dread then too.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
The '80's coincide directly with my thirties, and having just put a bad marriage behind me. Yep, special times, them '80's!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I just miss the 80's because I was much younger and healthier!

And Al, I think Mr. and Mrs. Van Halen are in school...

walrus

Ah, right.
Beer and a cigarette.
If they were at home it'd be the hard stuff.
cops-trio-brought-23m-in-cocaine-on-cruise.jpeg

7.jpg

"'at's what I'm talkin' 'bout."

Antney

Reaction score
I spent the 80s wondering if I should have married a girl I broke up with in 1980. She was "work" but well worth the effort. Ran into her (or should I say she ran into me) in 2002....unrecognizable, and not in a good way. Other than that I thought the eighties lacked the innovation of the 60s and 70s

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
What I loved about the '80s was the other stuff that was going on. Bands like Black Flag and Fugazi in the US, The Smiths and The Pogues and all the great Pop coming out of the UK. Early-ish REM and U2.

-Dave-

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What I loved about the '80s was the other stuff that was going on. Bands like Black Flag and Fugazi in the US, The Smiths and The Pogues and all the great Pop coming out of the UK. Early-ish REM and U2.

-Dave-

REM's Murmur was huge for me. I listened to that record over and over.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

-Dave-

Yeah, I was a big fan of Pretenders, most especially for: "Message To Love" and "Mystery Achievement", and Chrissie's then-husband Jim Kerr's band Simple Minds for Once Upon A Time: "Alive and Kicking", "All the Things She Said", and "Sanctify Yourself"
And how 'bout them Eurythmics?
For Be Yourself Tonight: "Would I Lie To You?", "Conditioned Soul" and "Baby's Comin' Back".
I will even unabashedly admit to owning Duran Duran's 7 and the Ragged Tiger after seeing "the Reflex" and "New Moon on Monday" on MTV.
Thinking about all that great pop, I'm thinking "Dang, this thread might become a 'Favorite Band' of the 80's' " thread.
"Not that there's anything wrong with that."
:biggrin-new:
I distinctly remember thinking at the time that the '80's sounded like they were gonna be as much fun as the '60's were again, after hearing the Police's' "Message In a Bottle" (yeah I know, late '79) and "Every Little Thing She Does".
A-a-a-nd let's not forget Talking Heads for "Once In a Lifetime"...
Surprisingly to many of my friends, I absolutely detested the "hair bands" although I'll give Bon Jovi and Van Halen grudging respect now for "Livin' On a Prayer" and "Panama", respectively. :friendly_wink:
Oh yes, now remembering Love and Rockets' "So Alive", and the Smithereens' "A Girl Like You".
Edie Brickell's Shooting Rubber Bands At the Stars (anybody remember "What I Am" ?)
I remember seeing the Paul Collins Beat perform "I Don't Fit In" in a small local club in '87 and when the set was over they projected MTV on a huge hanging screen and I heard REM's "The One I Love" for the first time, and thought, "Yep, it's still a great decade for music"

Some parting thoughts:
Chrissie Hynde or Annie Lennox?
Sting or Michael Jackson?
Slash or Kenny G?
:glee:

"Next?"

Last edited: