Nick Drake and the M20.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Good points.

My seating is bad. I sit on the couch and watch a movie as I practice. I try to keep it on my left leg at least.

With fretting technique, I do a mix of the two, and it depends on the chord. I'll only hook my thumb to mute (e.g. C chord in first position, I don't want low E to ring, so I go into a more "blues" position and hook the thumb to mute it). For aggressive music it's the only way because you can't be as precise with aggressive strumming as with classical finger picking. Or, at least I haven't found a way to stay on the finger tips exclusively and mute unwanted strings with aggressive techniques.

You understand what you need to understand.

jmascis

Reaction score
You understand what you need to understand.

Thanks. Been playing 25 years and was a music major.

The one chord that always trips me up is the 4-string F chord (truncated barr version with 4 strings). If I play it with a blues grip to mute the low strings, I lose power in the first finger and sometimes this results in choking the high E. So I'll sometimes switch to a classic grip. It sure frets easily with that grip, but then the lower strings are tougher to mute (I can get the 5th with the left hand ring finger), and it's also harder to switch out of that grip into a blues grip on the C. If you have any recommendation I am all ears. It's like the one thing I have never been able to figure out, and I think it has to do a lot with the nut.

It's why when testing a guitar the first chord I grip is an F. If the nut is messed up at all the F chord will make that obvious.

On this M-20, the nut slots where really good on the lower 4 strings, but the upper 2 had too high a nut, and sure enough that F chord was difficult. On my GF's Martin, straight from the factory on a cheap $350 model, the F chord is a breeze.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
On this M-20, the nut slots where really good on the lower 4 strings, but the upper 2 had too high a nut, and sure enough that F chord was difficult. On my GF's Martin, straight from the factory on a cheap $350 model, the F chord is a breeze.

yeah, i just doubt i will be purchasing a new oxnard guild. this type of feedback is just not encouraging...
i mean if you compare the rave reviews of the GAD or MIC guilds as of late, and then the lackluster reviews of the new oxnard guilds, i just do not feel Guild is adequately solving for new US made acoustics.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The one chord that always trips me up is the 4-string F chord (truncated barr version with 4 strings). If I play it with a blues grip to mute the low strings, I lose power in the first finger and sometimes this results in choking the high E. So I'll sometimes switch to a classic grip. It sure frets easily with that grip, but then the lower strings are tougher to mute (I can get the 5th with the left hand ring finger), and it's also harder to switch out of that grip into a blues grip on the C. If you have any recommendation I am all ears.[
I'm virtually purely an acoustic player and haven't played anything but my 3 Guilds in the last 20 years, anything else would have been due to borrowing a buddy's axe for a tune or 2.
I've developed a better ability to only hit the strings I want even when aggressive strumming, and use a lot of right hand palm muting that might handle the lower string F muting you mention.
To tell the truth I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a "Blues grip on the C", (I suspect it's got more relevance to playing an electric if it's what I think it might be, "hooking the thumb over") but perhaps you're talking about a barred C as opposed to the "cowboy chord' voicing?
Sometimes if I run into a chord change problem like that, that's what I'll do, use a different fingering of the chord.
Also opens up new scale possibilities.

It's like the one thing I have never been able to figure out, and I think it has to do a lot with the nut.
I do remember that when I got the D25 it was like a revelation, all of a sudden stuff that used to be a little tough was easier.
The whole set-up really was "Made to be played".

It's why when testing a guitar the first chord I grip is an F. If the nut is messed up at all the F chord will make that obvious.

It does sound like simply getting those E and A slots a few thousandths deeper might help. Assuming you decide to keep it...
It'd also help to actually have had a new M20 in hand to see how it felt, but the last time I was in my favorite store and hoped to actually find that out, they hadn't brought any in...

F312

Reaction score
I'm not sure why people care about this so much. I almost hope he didn't play an M-20 because then it's more unique. People seem to really want him to have played one for whatever reason.

Any player who is handed a guitar is going to play it, so I would guess he played an M20. Only guessing here.

Ralph