Genuine Carlo Greco S-100 bodies

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-vinta...d=253084247269&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982
s-l1600.jpg

Text from listing:
"From the collection of Carlo Greco, Master Luthier:

1970's vintage Guild S-100/Jet Star II solid Mahogany body (unfinished).

This is body #25 of 38.

My father, Carlo, acquired a set of these bodies while he was at Guild Guitars from 1959 to 1977 (Hoboken, NJ and Westerly, RI). These are the bodies on which Carlo carved the oak leaf/acorn pattern for some of the "NB" or "Nature Boy" models sold. I do not have any of the fully carved bodies for auction.

The last two photos are examples of perhaps the early development of the carvings Carlo had. It seems that maybe a floral pattern was being considered but apparently not used. THESE ARE NOT FOR SALE."

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wonder. We've seen an S-100 body being offered for awhile now, that we discussed and determined it was a Dearmond body, not a Guild. Could this be "creative" salesmanship?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I wonder. We've seen an S-100 body being offered for awhile now, that we discussed and determined it was a Dearmond body, not a Guild. Could this be "creative" salesmanship?
I must have missed that discussion, but did that listing claim to be posted by one of Greco's children?
Also, when you view the listing there're photos of a couple of carving "design excercises" which aren't for sale:
s-l1600.jpg

Just seems like it would be too easy to tear that "backstory" apart if untrue.
Still, due diligence is ALWAYS wise especially in a case like this, so point taken.

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Did a cursory search for the older thread or listing, but couldn't find it.
Could be real, and a different seller (no mention of Greco in the old listing.)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I dig the flowers!

Thought of you (and a couple of other guys) when I saw the listing.
The one for sale might make a perfect mule for a custom pickup testing rig.
Maybe Chris 'd be interested, too, having a spare neck and all.....
:friendly_wink:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I saw my chiropractor yesterday. I wish I had a spare neck. And maybe a few other spare parts, too...

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Did a cursory search for the older thread or listing, but couldn't find it.
Could be real, and a different seller (no mention of Greco in the old listing.)
Saw confirmation of source from DthomasC in another thread where I first reported 'em:

Luigi Greco is selling off those body blanks one at a time. They typically go for ~$30. Check his feedback.

I picked up one because a hunk of mahogany that size would cost more than that - if you can even find Central or South American anywhere. This looks like Honduran to me, but I could be wrong. I'll probably never end up doing anything with it. :crying:

DThomasC

Reaction score
I totally believe these body blanks are legit. For one thing, They're definitely Central American or South American mahogany. There's no way anyone could - or would - fake these and sell them for $30 or $40 each. Even a single slab of African mahogany big enough would cost more than that from the usual hardwood sources. Think about it: suppose you had a big hunk of old growth hog. Would you go to the trouble of carving it into the shape of a guitar that was never very popular and then give the pieces away for less than you could sell the rough sawn plank for?

Never mind they're from the Guild factory and have Carlo Greco's finger prints on them. :cheerful:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I totally believe these body blanks are legit. For one thing, They're definitely Central American or South American mahogany. There's no way anyone could - or would - fake these and sell them for $30 or $40 each. Even a single slab of African mahogany big enough would cost more than that from the usual hardwood sources. Think about it: suppose you had a big hunk of old growth hog. Would you go to the trouble of carving it into the shape of a guitar that was never very popular and then give the pieces away for less than you could sell the rough sawn plank for?

Never mind they're from the Guild factory and have Carlo Greco's finger prints on them. :cheerful:
Cool. They didn't shy away from using good wood, rather than piecing together bodies from cheaper, smaller stock. (Yeah, I'm looking at YOU, Norlin.)
My Crossroads body uses a single piece of mahogany under the maple top.