How great was Glenn Campbell?

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Here is one example of Glenn's greatness. Tiny Moore, one of the all-time greatest mando players-- started with Bob Wills and ended with Merle Haggard-- didn't believe it when Glenn said he could play all of Tiny's mando recordings. So Glenn played Tiny's mando riffs on a guitar, and they were note-for-note transcriptions. As a former student of Tiny's, I guarantee you that Tiny was not a bull****ter. Yet I can't believe this myself.

crank

Reaction score
I just read a Rolling Stone Obit last night that mentioned Glen could not read music. When he was part of the Wrecking Crew they would play a song through for him once and, as the article says, "he had it."

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That's a great story! The answer to your question is VERY great! Any search on youtube will show his great playing.

I've posted this before, it's a great interview, but at 8:50 he plays "Wichita Lineman" unaccompanied. And he lays down an unbelievable solo in the middle of the song that is just perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXfNTEi2CIc

walrus

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That was inspiring. Thanks for posting.
Play on Glenn.

F312

Reaction score
Hard to sleep last night. Sad day indeed!

Ralph

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like how The great Roy was even peeking over at Glen a few times, like damn, that boy can play. 😀