Advice on buying a vintage Guild

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Now I've decided I want a vintage Guild.

Why vintage? Why not one of the more recent ones out of Corona or Tacoma or New Hartford? They're less likely to 'need work' for one thing. And why dread, for that matter? :tiger: Get your hands on a jumbo F-50 or F-412 out of any of those shops, and it doesn't get any better. I just shipped off another Epiphone today. The JF30-12 and F50R are monopolizing the play time. :encouragement:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Of course, it doesn't always matter if it looks like they 'need work'.....

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The JF30-12 and F50R are monopolizing the play time. :encouragement:

'nother reason I think 3's the perfect number of guitars:
Even if one's in the shop you've still got a choice between 2 or a spare if a buddy shows up by surprise, without one.
:friendly_wink:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I probably shoulda said "keepers".
:biggrin-new:
My biggest problem is I have 20 "Keepers" so when it comes time to sell something I just can't bring myself to do it. I know this is a First world problem and all but it really sucks not to have a few "Culling" guitars around that you can justify selling.:crying:

TX

Rubsoul

Reaction score
Reaction score
Why vintage? Why not one of the more recent ones out of Corona or Tacoma or New Hartford? They're less likely to 'need work' for one thing. And why dread, for that matter? :tiger: Get your hands on a jumbo F-50 or F-412 out of any of those shops, and it doesn't get any better. I just shipped off another Epiphone today. The JF30-12 and F50R are monopolizing the play time. :encouragement:

I stumbled onto a 1970s D-50 in my local shop and returned many times to play it. I already have a Guild F2512 and it is scratching my jumbo/12 string itch. Really enjoy that guitar. I just want that tone and sound I heard in the D-50 (but I'm looking more in the 700-800 range) Very much want to try the new D-20s out as well.

Until then, just saving money and prowling CL and ebay for Guilds

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I just want that tone and sound I heard in the D-50 (but I'm looking more in the 700-800 range) Very much want to try the new D-20s out as well.
HI Troystory, welcome aboard!
I don't think the new D20 is gonna scratch that vintage D50 itch.
For one thing the D20's an all-'hog design, while the D50 was sitka top rosewood b/s.
We also know the D20's are using a bolt-on mortise/tenon neck joint whereas all D50's were true dovetails, and D20's are catalyzed varnish finish whereas all D50's got NCL finish.
So I'd expect the collective influence of those build differences to yield different sound palettes, besides the aged opened up woods of the D50.
BUT if you're just curious to hear how the D20's sound, well, so am I!

Last edited:

wileypickett

Reaction score
I've tried to adopt a "one in / one out" rule, but my collection *somehow* seems to grow by about a half-dozen guitars each year. Weird.

My biggest problem is I have 20 "Keepers" so when it comes time to sell something I just can't bring myself to do it. I know this is a First world problem and all but it really sucks not to have a few "Culling" guitars around that you can justify selling.:crying:

TX

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've tried to adopt a "one in / one out" rule, but my collection *somehow* seems to grow by about a half-dozen guitars each year. Weird.

You can account for the ones you purchase legitimately but the problems start when you leave them alone in the Music room next to one another and they start multiplying on their own. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to counter that effect yet. LOL!:biggrin-new:

TX

Reaction score
HI Troystory, welcome aboard!
I don't think the new D20 is gonna scratch that vintage D50 itch.
For one thing the D20's an all-'hog design, while the D50 was sitka top rosewood b/s.
We also know the D20's are using a bolt-on mortise/tenon neck joint whereas all D50's were true dovetails, and D20's are catalyzed varnish finish whereas all D50's got NCL finish.
So I'd expect the collective influence of those build differences to yield different sound palettes, besides the aged opened up woods of the D50.
BUT if you're just curious to hear how the D20's sound, well, so am I!

All I've heard is a sound clip of the D-20 from the acoustig guitar mag guy on youtube. It blew me away and sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. The aged sitka/rosewood combo sounded great as well. An old D-25 may scratch the itch as well. Who knows

Butch

Reaction score
I prefer rosewood/spruce guitars. I have 2 mid '70's F50 R 's, a '69 F512, 1970 F612, '85 F512, '75 F212 and a 2 year old GAD F1512. With that being said, I also have a GAD 40 cutaway that I bought 10 plus years ago and play quite a bit. (I've been very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the GAD series guitars.) I have found that the maple guitars are just a little too "trebly" for me. You also must keep in mind, with any vintage guitar, that a neck reset is almost considered routine maintenance, and can be somewhat costly. Also, when Guild was bought out by the group headed by George Gruhn, the quality went down. They started using cheaper finishes which definitely affected the sound.

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
I am currently on a downward trend, and there is actually room in my guitar storage unit for the first time since I constructed it. I can think of three, perhaps four, more that will be out the door shortly, leaving me with just three dynamite acoustics, three NYC Guild archtops and a couple resonators. Along with several beaters (D-25 and F-20), and my 12-string. And, of course, my lifelong buddy, the D-35.