New Member and GAD Guilds

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Welcome Bill, I am relatively new to the forum as well. I have been very impressed with the GAD series of guitars. I have a GAD 40 cutaway with a built in pick up that I bought back in 2004 or 2005.
That's first or second year! Got any long-term owner feedback re construction durability?
I was very impressed with it. At the time I was playing in a band and I really didn't want to take a chance on having any of my more valuable guitars damaged.
Even though I'm a "Made in USA" loyalist myself, I get that.
I'd be very selective about where I took my F65ce if I played out.
Maybe the D40 too, because it's pristine except for some pick scuffing 'round the 'guard, that would buff out easily.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Again, the new mini Jumbos out of Guild MIC are fantastic. Maple and other model is hog b/s. Nice solid pickup systems too. And these are not even GADs.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Again, the new mini Jumbos out of Guild MIC are fantastic. Maple and other model is hog b/s. Nice solid pickup systems too. And these are not even GADs.
About 99% sure they're still made at Grand Reward factory like the GAD's, though.
Have a pretty strong recollection of seeing an inspection sticker photo posted from one of the Westerly Collection models, that was identical to the ones used in GADs.
So while not definitive proof I'd say it's extremely strong evidence.
Was thinking Ralf (SFIV1967) could verify but realized photos might have been lost when his hosting service sank.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
About 99% sure they're still made at Grand Reward factory like the GAD's, though.
Have a pretty strong recollection of seeing an inspection sticker photo posted from one of the Westerly Collection models, that was identical to the ones used in GADs.
Was thinking Ralf (SFIV1967) could verify but realized photos might have been lost when his hosting service sank.

this is great news as that factory has a lot of experience building Guilds.

Reaction score
...In fairness we had another member who did let a New Hartford D40 Bluegrass Jubilee go for a similar reason, he was sure the top was too tight and he didn't have time to wait for it toreallyopen up so never really bonded with it anyway.
Not having the time to wait for a guitar to open up is getting to be a "legitimate excuse" around here, in case that would have applied in your case too.. :friendly_wink:

+1. Couldn't agree more Al!

That's why I usually buy vintage...they are already opened up, or on the verge of opening up, already somewhat broken-in, and just seem to get better every day! And with a little fine-tuning by a tech they are amazing "players", regardless of what a previous owner might have done to it! But they need a fair bit of inspection. And every guitar, new or old, benefits from a custom, personalized, set up! Not just a "drop-it-off-and-pick-it-up-tomorrow" set up...but a true set up by someone who knows YOU and what YOU want from this particular guitar. Makes all the difference!

cutrofiano

Reaction score

I had posted my GAD's inspection tag (no sticker) after having seen the Westerly's as well and they are totally identical.
In fact there is a banderole going all around repeating "GR" wich most propably stands for "Grand Reward":
Endkontrolle.jpg

F-150 CE GAD vs Westerly.jpg

Moritz

Last edited:

Butch

Reaction score
Construction durability is every bit as good as my vintage made in USA Guilds. All of my vintage guilds are jumbo rosewood/spruce guitars. It doesn't hold a candle to those but it certainly runs a close second. Then again its like comparing apples to oranges. Jumbo vs. dreadnaught, rosewood vs. mahogany. I would like to compare it to a vintage or modern made in USA mahogany Guild. I had a D40 C back in the late '70's, and it seems to me that the sound is very similar. Definitely better than any Taylor or newer Martin.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the boards, Bill. I know what you mean. I was hooked on Epiphone Masterbilts for a number of years. I had four of them - a mahogany, a maple, a rosewood, and a cedar-top 12-fret slot-head. All Chinese made. All solid wood. At least one of them was made in the Grand Reward factory (still got it), which is where the MIC Guilds are made, as I understand it. As you say, quality and playability were well above their pay grade. Then I got a few other Epiphone models. The prices were ridiculously good for such cool guitars.

At some point I figured if I sold off a number of the Epiphones, I could fund a made in Bozeman Gibson, maybe an iconic J-45. I actually had an order in on a new but rare sunburst walnut-backed J-15 with an abalone rosette.

A couple days before one of those J-15s became available, TX, great Guild finder extraordinaire, noted a super nice New Hartford made sunburst F-50R (with abalone rosette and DTAR dual source electronics) on reverb. I put in an offer for just a bit more than the cost of the new J-15, and it became mine. MINE. It'll never be not mine. Quality was better, with AAA spruce top, nitro finish, bling, just superb. Playability was better (although polishing the frets would probably give any guitar better playability). But then there's the tone. It's just better. Better balance across all strings, but mainly the low E string is much more present. Great big jumbo sound coming out of this guitar. I'm no longer looking for a Gibson 6-string. I'm selling off most of my Epiphones, which just aren't getting played anymore. I haven't played a lot of Martins or Gibsons for comparison, but I don't care. This F50R is the ultimate 6-string in my book. Oh, if I hit the powerball, I'd probably pick up a Gibson SJ-200 - they're stupid-expensive - but until then, I'm good.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :tiger:

Welcome aboard Bill :)

Cougar , I'm shocked you've become a Guild addic haha . I don't remember the Hartford F50R
That would be the Jumbo I would want myself ;)
Did you post a demo .

Sorry for side tracking Bill I had a Tiple O gad it was pretty decent:)

jwsamuel

Reaction score
Did you know the Tacoma F30's had adirondack tops that have a reputation for taking a long time to open up?
They're pretty stiff and need medium gauge strings and a pretty strong stroke to get 'em going when young.
Did you mention that purchase here?
It mighta got by those of us who would think of that.
In fairness we had another member who did let a New Hartford D40 Bluegrass Jubilee go for a similar reason, he was sure the top was too tight and he didn't have time to wait for it toreallyopen up so never really bonded with it anyway.
Not having the time to wait for a guitar to open up is getting to be a "legitimate excuse" around here, in case that would have applied in your case too.. :friendly_wink:

I knew all that stuff but in the end, I just did not enjoy playing the F-30 as much as I still enjoy playing the GAD-30R.

Jim

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I had posted my GAD's inspection tag (no sticker) after having seen the Westerly's as well and they are totally identical.
In fact there is a banderole going all around repeating "GR" wich most propably stands for "Grand Reward":
Moritz

THANK YOU Moritz!
I think it was you I was thinking of when I mentioned somebody posting a Westerly collection inspection tag.
I'd forgotten the "GR" logo running around the tag was the detail that made it a virtual certainty that they were all built at "Grand Reward", as you guessed.