two questions

Reaction score
I'm a brand new member, and I have two questions.

First, i just acquired a D100 NTC which dates to the early 90's, Westerly. Is is a ridiculously beautiful guitar. There is very little information about this model on the various sites, and it is not listed on any of the priceless. All info, pricing, etc. would be appreciated.

Second, I have stumbled on what I think is a 1959 f-hole, hollow body, single cutaway, strange Guild script on the headstock. Anyone know anything about this model?

Thanks!!!!!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Pics would help on "Strange Guild Script" but Guild has used script logos so...

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Does the logo look something like this? On some of the models towards the lower end, they had a stenciled script logo in the late 50s, early 60s.
1959_Guild_M20_1273_024.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Bullwinkle! A D-100 is a fabulous guitar, and a heck of an introduction into Guild ownership. There aren't a ton of these around, so pricing is pretty spurious and highly subject to condition.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome...
The earlier archtop electrics all (mostly) had model numbers starting with X (like X-100), and acoustic versions used an A prefix (the A-50 was the acoustic version of the X-50, for example). I am not an archtop guy, but know that the A-50 was the low end, acoustic archtop, and had a stenciled Guild script logo in the early days. But, it isn't a cutway... so am thinking maybe you have an A-100, or something a little higher up the number line. Have you looked in the f-holes for a label? Can be hard to see... but that's where it would be (I think)... I am sure Hans Moust could tell you what you have... probably just from your description and a SN. But pics would help...

...and a D-100! That's quite the intro to Guild! The rarity of the D-100 makes prices quite variable... not sure I have ever seen one offered for less than $3K (maybe one that was in less than pristine condition?). According to Beesley, list price in '90 was $2760 for the non-carved version, and $3060 for one with a carved neck heel.

Enjoy!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
welcome! if it is a D-100 NTC I would the think the "C" (after "NT") implies "Carved" neck heel. as others have already stated, that is a pretty creammy Guild.

Reaction score
Pics would help a lot!
You have to upload your pics to a hosting site (I use Imgur), then post the link to it here.

"But Bullwinkle, that trick never works!"
"This time for sure! Nuthin' up my sleeeve....PRESTO!"
"No doubt about it, I gotta get another hat!"

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
welcome! if it is a D-100 NTC I would the think the "C" (after "NT") implies "Carved" neck heel. as others have already stated, that is a pretty creammy Guild.

Just in case the letters were throwing you off while searching, I would expect to see D100's listed in vintage buyers guides. The "NT" means "Natural" top, and mavuser's correct about the "C" meaning carved heel on that model.

The carved heel would be a value adder if you find "D100NT" or just "D100" which would imply the natural finish.
Can't remember if they did SB sunbursts but that was around $50.00 extra on any model when new, and the carving was $100.00 "IIRC"

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Can't remember if they did SB sunbursts but that was around $50.00 extra on any model when new, and the carving was $100.00 "IIRC"

That statement about the extra money for a sunburst finish is not correct. I understand this is not really the subject of this thread, but I noticed you mentioned this in an earlier posting as well, so let's correct this before it becomes a 'fact'. For the longest time Guild didn't charge extra for a sunburst finish; it was usually the same price as a natural finished instrument.

Actually, before 1975 (the change happened during 1975) you had to pay extra for a blonde or natural finish on most guitars.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
That would make sense, Hans, as the sunburst would have hidden any minor cosmetic blemishes in the wood. A cleaner piece of wood would have been reserved for the blondes, I presume.