groundwound strings + bisonics

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Something I've been wondering about, so I figured I'd give it a go.

Backstory: For a long time now, my approach to stringing up my basses has been to get the heaviest, thumpiest flats I can find. But lately I have been integrating my bass into my solo project, for which I'm not playing the same chunky, aggressive bass lines I used to in past full band projects. So I got to thinking about how to get a lighter, slightly more defined/delicate tone, while still maintaining the fundamental warm, natural timbre of the Starfire. Since the bass has just the one neck-position bisonic, with no option to blend with a bridge pickup, I thought that the GHS Brite Flats might be a good way to achieve my goal.
First impression was that, right out of the package, they had the odd sticky feel I'd read about on forums and they definitely needed some breaking in. The tone was far too metallic and thin. After a few weeks of playing them though, they were feeling smoother and sounding better. I played a show on August 5th from which I just got the soundboard recordings and I must say, I'm pleased with how the strings sound. They may still have a bit of breaking-in in to do, but the tone is almost where I want it. Pretty surprised at how much I like these ground down roundwounds. Not permanently committed to them yet, but i'd say they're definitely worth giving a try. Anyway, here is the recording... also, I hope y'all enjoy the tune!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-loFXAP5gw

Last edited: