my Ovation does not sound like this

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow! What a sound, and so surreal to watch an Ovation generating it. I believe he is playing through a $1400 digital signal processor called the Theta Pro. See this link.

marcellis

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32uWdIgBkZs

"My Ovation does not sound like this."

Mine does. (At least it did until changed fuzz units.)

(Oh boy did I have fun in that session. The only guitar you hear is my 1988 Ovation Elite SSB, made in New Hartford. In fact, I'm the entire band - except for the awesome
girl group back-up vocals. And they were amazing, bless 'em. The whole recording
is what you might call a tour de farce. )

"....I believe he is playing through a $1400 digital signal processor called the Theta Pro. See this link.

I just used a cheap fuzz pedal. I forget what brand.

Last edited:

marcellis

Reaction score
You, sir, are not the Lizard King! So funny (not to mention well-done).

Thanks. I have a very high opinion of US-made Ovations. I bought that guitar from Mandolin Bros. in late 87 or early 88. I was booked for some one-man jobs and was just starting to learn MIDI. I needed a guitar that could play everything - country, finger-style folk, distorted rock leads, pop -- the works.

I originally wanted a Guild Songbird. The sales guy had a dim opinion of both
Songbirds and Ovations. He kept trying to sell me a brand I'd never heard of - Taylor.
He was pushing Taylors hard.

Finally, he told me he didn't care for either of my options, but would take the O over the SB. The next two years or so I played 1-man band jobs w/a Kawai K1 synth, a desktop - yes a desktop computer - and that Ovation. Later on, I used a laptop.

What did I sound like? I sounded like that recording sans the girl group.
Looking back, it's probably the best music I ever made in my life. The Ovation fit
my needs perfectly and the Kawai K1 was an inspiration. Wow, what a string pad.
Synths don't sound like that today. Neither do Ovations.

Funny, in 1973 I went shopping for an Ovation and ended up buying a Guild - a D25.
in the late 80's I went shopping for a Guild and ended up buying an Ovation.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ha! Awesome love kings X :)
But really what's awesome is you can hold the ovation without it slipping off your lap ! Hehe :)
Looks like you had fun :)

marcellis

Reaction score
Ha! Awesome love kings X :)
But really what's awesome is you can hold the ovation without it slipping off your lap ! Hehe :)
Looks like you had fun :)

It's a strap-on. Those Ovations are damned versatile.

They can do anything you want, except sound like a good acoustic guitar.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It's a strap-on. Those Ovations are damned versatile.

They can do anything you want, except sound like a good acoustic guitar.

Yeah in the 80's I had a Glen Campbell model or I think I did anyway should have kept it .

I've been sneaking peeks at them over the last year or so . :)

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The prices of the used ones have gone up a LOT in the last year or two. You used to see 70s and 80s Legends , in good shape, going for $400. You can double that now. I was going to pick up a nylon string one, one of the upper end ones, but now they are out of my "get one on a lark" budget.

marcellis

Reaction score
The prices of the used ones have gone up a LOT in the last year or two. You used to see 70s and 80s Legends , in good shape, going for $400. You can double that now. I was going to pick up a nylon string one, one of the upper end ones, but now they are out of my "get one on a lark" budget.

I always liked US-made Ovation 12-strings too. They had a tight sound IMO. I'm not much on 12's but the US-made Elite 12's are #2 on my list - right after Guild.

HAAAAAA HAAAAAA!! That's pretty hysterical, Marc!!

I always thought it was a tour de farce. That Ovation is the only guitar on it.
It could do anything except sound like an acoustic guitar.

Last edited: