New Hartford built D-55

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know there are dozens of question like this but thought I'd ask for my specific case.

I have an opportunity to buy a New Hartford build D-55 in what appears to be in excellent condition for $1500.

Any thoughts on the value of this? It seems to be a decent deal for a used D-55.

ty!

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG! That seems like a great price if it's in good condition and action and neck angle
are good! Post a link to the guitar if you can.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If all the geometry of the guitar checks out and it is in excellent condition, that's a REALLY good price. Oxnard factory is working on D55's as we speak, but none have been produced since the close of New Hartford. And those guitars from NH are greatly admired. D55's are fetching really good prices these days. Welcome to LTG. Let us know how it all plays out!! :encouragement:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Condition is everything when it comes to value and pricing. The New Hartford D55's are some special instruments and the Cream of the Crop in my opinion. If it is in good shape and everything checks out I would say that $1500 is a damn good price. Mint examples from New Hartford are currently selling for between $2000-$2500 on the used market and sometimes even higher if it is a NOS Instrument from a Licensed Guild Dealer with full factory Warranty. Best of luck and if I were you I would post some pics of it but keep the link to the guitar to yourself. I would hate to see someone try and buy it out from under you while you were making the decision whether or not you wanted it. Not that they would but there is always the off chance. Better safe than sorry.

In order to post photos they have to be hosted somewhere else and then copy the address of the picture to post in the space provided by the Picture frame in the tool box.

Also being a new member it will take awhile for your first few posts to show up here on the forum as they have to be approved by a moderator to make sure you are not a bot. Best of Luck!

TX

Reaction score
thanks everyone...I'll have to buy the guitar sight unseen, other than pics. from pics, bridge looks fine only 1 blemish that I can see.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this!!

Reaction score
well, that sucks,

I missed the deal, it sold.....kicking and stomping myself DANGGG it!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Damn Dogs, I hate when that happens. Lost out on an F-50 that way once. Got my DV-52 on the rebound, couldn't be happier. Keep looking, you'll find a really nice one if you're patient.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yup there's a good chance you may have disliked it when you got it so in a way call it fate . The next one will come . :)

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yup there's a good chance you may have disliked it when you got it so in a way call it fate . The next one will come . :)

That's exactly right. It's easy to be a buyer. Ya never know, one might pop up locally so you can try it first.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think TMG is WRONG, in that guitar sales may be slow OVERALL, but Guild D55's are in demand and if you find a really nice one, especially a New Hartford model with no issues at a good price.... you gotta move fast. They won't hang around. Sorry you missed the deal, amigo..... and although the guitar market may be generally slow, some models at a great price will ALWAYS move quickly, as you have just experienced!!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think TMG is WRONG, in that guitar sales may be slow OVERALL, but Guild D55's are in demand and if you find a really nice one, especially a New Hartford model with no issues at a good price.... you gotta move fast. They won't hang around. Sorry you missed the deal, amigo..... and although the guitar market may be generally slow, some models at a great price will ALWAYS move quickly, as you have just experienced!!

I agree with you Davisman. I think there are two main driving factors of the New Hartford made D55's rise in price over the last year besides the obvious High Quality materials, Design, and Craftsmanship.

First the lack on any D55 Production for over 3 years from the end of May 2014 to September of 2017 has a lot to do with it. There are only so many New Hartford models that come up for sale now as most people are hanging on to them which means they are pulling premium prices on the used market. I just recently saw a new Oxnard Made D55 for sale on Reverb for $3299.99 + $75 shipping. Here is the link.

https://reverb.com/p/guild-d-55-acoustic-guitar-natural

The second and probably more important of the two major driving factors is the uncertainty of Quality and Construction of the New Oxnard Made D55's based on some of the Quality Control and Construction issues we have seen in the Recent models that Oxnard has produced. A lot of people just don't want to take a chance yet based on what they have seen and especially not to the tune of $3,375 to your front door. Just my two cents as always.

TX

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think the prices have gone up because they aren't currently being made and the New Hartford folks did a really nice job building Guilds. The future is always uncertain. Will the NEXT home of Guild follow suit and build really nice ones too ? For many, the D-55 in hand is worth more than an unknown future guitar.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think the prices have gone up because they aren't currently being made and the New Hartford folks did a really nice job building Guilds. The future is always uncertain. Will the NEXT home of Guild follow suit and build really nice ones too ? For many, the D-55 in hand is worth more than an unknown future guitar.
I've said the same thing myself in the past year.
And I think it applies to all existing D55's, and all models currently out of production as well, although New Hartford's rep probably adds a bit of a premium.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
D55's are currently in production and if you look at my last post there is a link to the first one that recently popped up on Reverb.

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
D55's are currently in production and if you look at my last post there is a link to the first one that recently popped up on Reverb.

TX
Headsmack.
Forgot to read all before posting, again.
See my excuse over in the Padauk thread.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I just recently saw a new Oxnard Made D55 for sale on Reverb for $3299.99 + $75 shipping. Here is the link.

https://reverb.com/p/guild-d-55-acoustic-guitar-natural

TX
J---s C----t they listed Nick Drake in the "notable Guild acoustic players" in the marketing copy.
Did they list him in the M20 copy where at least it could be understood as an unfortunate acceptance of the prevailing myth?
I'm gittin' a mite too fed up to go look.
I got a suspicion they're not paying as much attention to this forum as they need to.
Somebody please go switch out their meds for parsley.
Thanks.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Guild web site doesn't list Nick Drake. At least the description of the D-55 on that page, at any rate.