A very long project is finally done !

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
1965 Ford Mustang. 289 engine that I added a 4bbl carb and intake, automatic over drive from a newer Mustang, some upgraded front seats from a 92 Mustang, dual exhaust, and a few other updates, that I thought were worth the effort.

Well, it will be by tomorrow. I just need to apply the door ID plate that details the car colors, interior, motor , etc and find if the trans is touching the body underneath, as well as a wire or two that needs to be zip tied under the dash, and it will be complete.

I think I bought the car 20 years ago, with the intention of doing a simple fix up and paint. After finding rust in the floor boards, I went all out. Full disassembly, soda blasting the rolling chassis/body and putting it all back together. A kid came along. I lost momentum at times. I'm sorry to admit it took something really bad to get it going again. My mom died unexpectedly due to cancer we didn't know she had and I was worried about my Dad, so this project became I father / son project to help keep Dad thinking about other things. So, 4 years later, working in Dad's garage every Sat, it's ready to go home. Actually, it IS home, but I need to do those last things, and Dad has a car lift, so checking under the car is much easier at his place.

I know, forum rules state that it didn't happen without pictures, so I'll provide one from my phone. Knowing how high the photo skills are hereabouts, I need to find a cool place to shoot some glamour photos, and post them this week.

MustangLift.JPG

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, John! I'm impressed. Long term project coming to term, eh? Can't wait to see a few more photos. I love this stuff!! :encouragement::encouragement:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Beautiful and supremely tasteful resto-mod, John! Wow!

That's really a great story. I wish you (and your dad) well and that you both share tremendous enjoyment out of this.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
1995 Ford Mustang...

1995? Perhaps, 1965? A '65 Mustang was my first car, with the same 289 engine that you added. Mine had a Holley 4bbl carb, Hurst 4-speed manual linkage, a reverse hood scoop, Mag wheels, was painted lime green and had dark green "flames" on the hood.

Yours sure looks great, and brings back all kinds of memories.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I had a '68 Mustang convertible - those were the days! Yours looks GREAT!

walrus

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Awesome restoration and a compelling story behind it... congrats, that 'stang is amazing!
Glam shots for sure!

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh man, John, what a great feeling that must be for you and your Dad to have this great project completed. Classy lookin' '65 'stang!

My '65 Mustang convertible was one of the favorite vehicles I've ever owned.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sweet.
Since this awesome 60's design, that will never get old, the Mustang had become pretty boring, if not flat out ugly (80's & 90's), but they really revived it with the 2015 model year.
Looking like a sweet muscle beast again.
Nice job, like the classy color too.

Last edited:

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Sweet.

And a great look with the correct period American mags. Hate it when they put 18-22" wheels on vintage tin.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gotta delay pictures. Found the trans was touching the side of the rear support and making all sorts of vibrations in the car. Had to drop the exhaust, to get to the support bracket and then change the shape of some holes so the trans end could be moved over 1/4". It's only supposed to be sitting on a big rubber block that mounts on the support. Didn't have time to get the exhaust back on and drive it home. Drove my Dad's 1965 convertible instead.

Also found the A/C works pretty darn well, but it makes a minor idle issue worse. Not sure what's causing it. Not sure why the extra load of the A/C compressor running makes it worse.

Cabarone

Reaction score
That right there's what you call a Honey for the Money...I can only imagine the pride/sense of accomplishment you're feeling...and well-earned...enjoy!

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Either put a fast idle solenoid on it or raise the idle 50-100rpm to take care of the added load.

idealassets

Reaction score
My gramma bought a brand new yellow 1964 Mustang as soon as they hit the dealers. This was unusual in that the advertisements did not target that age group, but she absolutely loved that car. Then I recall that Ford released a "1964 1/2" Mustang later that year, as though it was some type of vast improvement over the originally released auto.

I never became too enthused about those types of cars, since about a decade later I began owning my own cars, which were beaters; actually a 1960 Chevy Biscayne with no aspirations of ever possessing any type of muscle car.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Mustang was official a 1965 model. The early release date of that car, spring of the year, prompted people to dub it "64-1/2". It came with a Generator and a few other different bits, like the 260 V8 rather than the 289 V8. By the time the 65 was in full swing, they came with alternators. The later 65s could be ordered with specs that would be standard in 1966.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
As a bonafide "car guy" and lover of all those car shows about troubled garages and successful garages and build projects from mild to wild, I offer sincere congratulations.
When they were introduced they were not actually marketed as performance cars, Iacocca actually thought of them as "secretary's cars".
Carroll Shelby changed all that.

Antney

Reaction score
Sweet ride. My sister had a baby blue 64 1/2. Closest I ever had was a 69 chevy Malibu. I love the simple dash on yours...I have an Audi and my good friend has a Lexus, the dashboards are WAY too busy. The ride on them is beautiful but my chevy was much more fun to drive. Very nice job John.