Orpheum Neck Issues?

beecee

Reaction score
I am going to be moving on some of my larger guitars, trying to sell 2-4 and condense into one "wow" guitar. I have an Orpheum Orchestra in hand (12 fret slotted head), that I am testing out for a few days. All seems fine, it is stellar and all they are cracked up to be.

Perhaps I am crazy but I do seem to remember a somewhat recent post referring to neck issues with the Orphs.

Search did not help.

Am I imagining this? I'm 99.9% sure I read it here.

Would like to know prior to making my decision.

poser

Reaction score
I found this but couldn't find ralf's original post. It doesn't really describe an issue with the neck, just observations.

Ralf's detailed comments on the neck when he got his are as follows. I haven't measured mine to confirm:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ralf

The Orpheum neck is having a light V-shape and is much fatter but very comfortable.
I measured 47.5mm (1.87") nut width.
Neck with at 8th fret = 56.3mm (2.22") and at 12th fret = 59.4mm (2.34").
Neck thickness at 1st fret is 24.4mm (0.95") and at 8th fret = 27.7mm (1.09"). (after the 8th fret it curves into the neck heel already).

The easy playability of this slightly bigger neck vs the F-512 is basically the same. Both very easy to play necks. I guess true fingerstyle players will love the wider Orpheum neck.

I have to say that regardless of all the specs, it "feels" like a Guild to me. One thing that makes it really hard to compare with others is the short scale. My hand is closer to my body when I play this guitar and so I have better leverage, if you will. Anyway, it's a joy and comfortable to play.​

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Neal
I am going to hang onto this little F-20 and play it as a reminder that life is sometimes rough, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the damage you accrue along the way defines who you are.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by marcellis
Growing old is a bitch.

Guild 12-strings:
1978 G-312NT (Westerly) - "Franzz",
1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Non-Guild 12s:
1970 Martin D-12-20
1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)

1984 Taylor 655

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The Orpheum 000 12 frets have a completely different Neck shape and width than the 12 fret Slope Dread models and the 12 fret slope models are completely different from the 14 fret slope models. My Jumbo and 14 fret slopes were the same neck profile and width. There were a very few instances where a few Orpheums were possibly needing Neck resets due to leaving the factory with a Marginal Neck angle or so I have heard. I personally have not seen this in any of the five I own or have owned. They are extremely light builds which leads to their awesome resonance. They are also extremely unique in each different model. The neck shapes and widths are exclusive to each model going so far as having different neck widths and profiles for instruments that share the same body shape like the 000 14 fret and 000 12 fret. Same thing goes for the 12 fret slopes and 14 fret slopes. The jumbo is quite possibly one of my favorites and the 12 string model is the only model of it's kind from any manufacturer. They are Amazing instruments with a wonderful "Touch Response" as I like t call it. In all of mine the tone and quality have been second to none.

I sent you a PM Beecee.

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
When you say moving on the larger guitars you selling the F50R ?

beecee

Reaction score
Yes Sir,

I mentioned that in the FS section asking about proper ways to ship. I'll be getting pictures description etc together for all the guitars for sale

I have a DV52 AB as well, most likely sell my JF-30-12 too. Heck while I'm at it since I don't play out at all probably my Songbird and F65CE TG (it's green).

Funny thing is my D-40 is comfy even tho it is a dred.

I'm just back from a 10 day vacation and really came to the conclusion during that time.

I may not have anything up until end of week. Probably should keep my mouth shut until then.

Not leaving the Guild family, just paring down.

Neal

Reaction score
I have owned three Orpheums (12-fret dread, 14-fret dread and a 12-fret OOO).

All had a perfect neck angle and a tall saddle. No issues whatsoever.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes Sir,

I mentioned that in the FS section asking about proper ways to ship. I'll be getting pictures description etc together for all the guitars for sale

I have a DV52 AB as well, most likely sell my JF-30-12 too. Heck while I'm at it since I don't play out at all probably my Songbird and F65CE TG (it's green).

Funny thing is my D-40 is comfy even tho it is a dred.

I'm just back from a 10 day vacation and really came to the conclusion during that time.

I may not have anything up until end of week. Probably should keep my mouth shut until then.

Not leaving the Guild family, just paring down.

Well I'm the forum dummy and seen that in FS but lacking proper brain power I thought to myself oh look this wants to know how ship a guitar , nothing wrong with asking then off I went with another thought haha ..... geez I'm something. :)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I sent a pm to yeah if I did it right lol

beecee

Reaction score
You did just fine, but you attached your grocery list too.

(kidding)

Thanks Rayk.