Franz neck pickup loose inside - NS X175B

jm345

Reaction score
Walter, you are correct. There is a separate smaller piece of metal between the two magnets that contains the threads. But the problem is the holes in the bobbin plastic are too large for the machine screws that screw up from the baseplate. So the bobbin is not secured by anything and can just ride up and down on the pole pieces and those machine screws. This is causing the neck pickup to create a buzzing noise with certain notes. I am trying to figure out why these pickups are like that and how to secure the bobbin to the baseplate in the best manner. Thanks

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Walter, you are correct. There is a separate smaller piece of metal between the two magnets that contains the threads. But the problem is the holes in the bobbin plastic are too large for the machine screws that screw up from the baseplate. So the bobbin is not secured by anything and can just ride up and down on the pole pieces and those machine screws. This is causing the neck pickup to create a buzzing noise with certain notes. I am trying to figure out why these pickups are like that and how to secure the bobbin to the baseplate in the best manner. Thanks

How about a little squirt of silicone under both ends of the bobbin?

jm345

Reaction score
How about a little squirt of silicone under both ends of the bobbin?

I did put silicone the bridge pickup. Should work to keep it from rattling. However, my neck pickup was intermittent with about 7.4 when it worked and about 2.5 when it didn't. It would work fine until I installed it and screwed it down. I finally traced it to the bobbin. If I twisted the bobbin a little it would give me different readings. I think the problem is in the winding and maybe due to the bobbin being loose and floating on the polepieces. Can anyone recommend a shop in the US for repairing it? Thanks

jm345

Reaction score
It might have a cold solder joint. I would see about that first.

It appears to be somewhere in the winding. It looks like I can order a new pickup directly from Guild for $95. That is probably the fastest resolution. Thanks