F50R pricing

beecee

Reaction score
weren't the Orphs built there through mid 2014?

merlin6666

Reaction score

Different models may have been built in different years - slope shoulders and jumbos in 2013, OMs and 000s in 2014 first four or five months. Though I didn't follow the serial numbers and production details as closely as some other members.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok what's the rules on condition ratings huh ?
Maybe I'm nuts but finish checks , lifting bridge , dents in the top along with nitro chips around the banding does not in my book describe a condition of "Very Good" !
A world gone mad or maybe just me :(

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Chaz are you sure it wasn't '14?
I'd expect you too know better'n me, but I thought Fender announced the sale in '14 and it took the better part of a year and a half for Cordoba to actually start building, in mid last year (2016) as I remember, right?
(fully prepared for 50 lashes with wet noodle if I've got my history bollixed up)

It was end of May of 2014 when production ended, Chaz acknowledged having a momentary lapse in Post # 12 of this thread.

TX

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

To the best of my knowledge they were producing Orpheums, Traditional Models, and pretty much all types of American Guilds at the same time all the way up to the 148th day of 2014 which would have been the last few days of May 2014.

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ok what's the rules on condition ratings huh ?
Maybe I'm nuts but finish checks , lifting bridge , dents in the top along with nitro chips around the banding does not in my book describe a condition of "Very Good" !
A world gone mad or maybe just me :(
It would be appropriate for say, an 1896 Martin.
Or any number of unscrupulous eekBay sellers of deconditioned goods.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Back in my day used things sold for half of retail after which condition was considered now the things sell for to much . Folks selling cars ask dealer prices not privit party . Used guitars sell for a dollars short of what one could of bought it new for , on that note ! ......... drum roll ............ two offers shot down lol

I'm going for record , maybe just to tick people off err I mean you sir have a tick let me just burn that off you , only take a sec ! 😁

Last edited:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for an Orpheum Jumbo there are two I am aware of that are avaialble. One is MIRC refurbished on eBay, the other a NEW sunburst model available in Germany:

https://www.gitarren-studio-neustad...-custom-shop/665-guild-custom-shop-jumbo.html

There's another new one in a Melbourne, Florida shop called Wholesale Music. I probably would have bought it, but the guy wants full MSRP and won't budge.

I haven't been in there in a few months but I would be surprised if it were gone.

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
What's a little revisionist history among friends. :) Sorry for the incorrect closedown date on New Hartford, folks. Nice to see you guys are paying attention, though! :)

beecee, folks, yes New Hartford was producing products (including the Orpheums) right through mid-2014. I don't know what models exactly were coming off the production line at the time, but the closeout sale included a bunch of Orpheums, as well as a bunch of other models. That doesn't tell us much, though. We clearly know that a bunch of guitars went into inventory which CMG has used to bridge the gap as they spun up production in Oxnard. I don't know if those were built toward the end or had been stocked earlier.

merlin, as for the MIRC'd Orpheum, I can only tell you that New Hartford did *not* send guitars to reclamation unless they were in good shape. This is in stark contrast to what happened at the closedown of Tacoma in 2008... AFAIK, NH *only* sent them if there was a blem that was too expensive to fix. A trainwreck guitar would've been bandsawed. Anyway, I would expect this Orpheum to be terrific.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
There's another new one in a Melbourne, Florida shop called Wholesale Music. I probably would have bought it, but the guy wants full MSRP and won't budge.

I haven't been in there in a few months but I would be surprised if it were gone.

And let's hope it's still there after Irma comes to town, with a slight bit of snark intended.
Actually, I can't blame him but I hope it doesn't mean a new Guild gets needlessly destroyed by hurricane.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
merlin, as for the MIRC'd Orpheum, I can only tell you that New Hartford did *not* send guitars to reclamation unless they were in good shape. This is in stark contrast to what happened at the closedown of Tacoma in 2008... AFAIK, NH *only* sent them if there was a blem that was too expensive to fix. A trainwreck guitar would've been bandsawed. Anyway, I would expect this Orpheum to be terrific.

Just for corroboration that's how I remember it too, partly because it was such a surprise to discover thy used 'em at all.
Also Merlin, MIRC is entirely reputable from all reports I can recall.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just for corroboration that's how I remember it too, partly because it was such a surprise to discover thy used 'em at all.
Also Merlin, MIRC is entirely reputable from all reports I can recall.

MRIC is the repair company right ? Isand you seen the before pics of my CV-1 you'd cringe.

Thing is you never know how bad a repair was so easy ones naturally look better .

I'm not trashing them just saying .

I don't agree with folks point blank asking more for something then it fairly should sell for .

And old saying was something is only worth what one is willing to pay . It's a nice saying but from a time before one that twists it's mean or meaning to me .

I made two offers on two guitars , one was for half its asking price and my reason is , it's not in as good a condition as advertised. The repairs would and could of easily cost the balance of my offer, to me in my mind it's a fair offer and it could open the door possible to some negotiation but heck no they shoot back a new retail price of 30,000 bucks what a (..... ) add your own term in that .
The other bid was not that bad and I offered what I feel I could pay , it was off by a few bills but instead of doing a meet you half way or something I get " oh your so close just a little more and you have this baby it has all these add ons !" I don't need add ons won't pay for them take them back .
Really what the seller was saying was just pay me what I'm asking and you can have it .

Sadly they are charging like 100 bucks to ship it boy their proud .

So all I can think of for the most part is people are greedy and if greedy people have money they'll let something rot before letting it go for less then what they want . Sad really .

I'll find one and there's a chance I'll pay more then the ones I made an offer for maybe lots more but if I do it will be truly worth it and justified.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sadly they are charging like 100 bucks to ship it boy their proud .

If I am spending over $2,000 on a Guitar that has to be shipped you better believe I will pay $100 for shipping to have it packed in the proper manner and shipped USPS 3 day Priority with the full amount of purchase price and shipping included in Insurance coverage. Personally it is worth it to me to know my purchase is covered. When I sell a guitar for over $2000 I also charge actual shipping charges and since I already own more than a few Excellent shipping boxes I don't have any cost there for packing materials. When I ship a guitar with insurance of $2000-$2500 from Texas to either coast it normally runs between $100-$130 for USPS 3 Day Priority. Well worth it in my opinion to make sure someone else's purchase is covered if anything happens to it.The reason I use 3 day Priority is that I feel the guitar is better off on a 3 day trip normally flying to the destination than bouncing around in a truck for up to a week and a half.

So all I can think of for the most part is people are greedy and if greedy people have money they'll let something rot before letting it go for less then what they want . Sad really .

Either that or you are a bit on the Cheap side. I understand if someone is asking outrageous prices but if they feel they can get what the guitar is worth to them to sell it then why settle for less? It is the prerogative of the seller to tell all the low ballers to get lost or try to deal with them if they are desperate for a sale. You aren't being forced to pay the seller's asking price, If you want it get it and if you don't then move on. I don't think it has to do with Greed at all. If you were selling a guitar for what you thought was a fair asking price and someone offered you half of that you would probably tell them to get lost as well. Just opinions as always.

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If I am spending over $2,000 on a Guitar that has to be shipped you better believe I will pay $100 for shipping to have it packed in the proper manner and shipped USPS 3 day Priority with the full amount of purchase price and shipping included in Insurance coverage. Personally it is worth it to me to know my purchase is covered. When I sell a guitar for over $2000 I also charge actual shipping charges and since I already own more than a few Excellent shipping boxes I don't have any cost there for packing materials. When I ship a guitar with insurance of $2000-$2500 from Texas to either coast it normally runs between $100-$130 for USPS 3 Day Priority. Well worth it in my opinion to make sure someone else's purchase is covered if anything happens to it.The reason I use 3 day Priority is that I feel the guitar is better off on a 3 day trip normally flying to the destination than bouncing around in a truck for up to a week and a half.

Either that or you are a bit on the Cheap side. I understand if someone is asking outrageous prices but if they feel they can get what the guitar is worth to them to sell it then why settle for less? It is the prerogative of the seller to tell all the low ballers to get lost or try to deal with them if they are desperate for a sale. You aren't being forced to pay the seller's asking price, If you want it get it and if you don't then move on. I don't think it has to do with Greed at all. If you were selling a guitar for what you thought was a fair asking price and someone offered you half of that you would probably tell them to get lost as well. Just opinions as always.

TX
K I went off on a rant , took me 45 bloody minutes to type I was ready to hit send then said the heck with it .

Yes I don't know what the shipping options were they did not say just how much ,

We differ on the what is fair , you say the if the seller thinks it fair well maybe 50 yrs ago I don't buy it know . I don't buy the labeling a guitar excellent yet say something is peeling off the nitro but it still plays ok so no big deal . My failure for being a low level person .

I've no choice but to be looking at things from the cheap side it's almost mandatory but my past purchases proves I'll pay a fair price . Even though I'm poor . Lol

I guess my lesser education does not understand how it works . Go to Reverb search the F50R's and help me understand the massive price swings I'm seeing with all the info listed for each .😁

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
K I went off on a rant , took me 45 bloody minutes to type I was ready to hit send then said the heck with it .

Yes I don't know what the shipping options were they did not say just how much ,

We differ on the what is fair , you say the if the seller thinks it fair well maybe 50 yrs ago I don't buy it know . I don't buy the labeling a guitar excellent yet say something is peeling off the nitro but it still plays ok so no big deal . My failure for being a low level person .

I've no choice but to be looking at things from the cheap side it's almost mandatory but my past purchases proves I'll pay a fair price . Even though I'm poor . Lol

I guess my lesser education does not understand how it works . Go to Reverb search the F50R's and help me understand the massive price swings I'm seeing with all the info listed for each .

I don't think we differ on what is fair or not. I too have a very hard time believing half of the things I see in an online guitar listing which is why I normally ask for more photos and scrutinize every little detail to make sure I know what is being offered and in what condition I believe the guitar is in as opposed to what condition the seller lists it as being in. By all means you have to cover your back side because if you don't you can wind up getting the shaft. Something else I also do is ask the seller for a 72 hour inspection period to have my Luthier look over the guitar to make sure there are no hidden structural issues or anything like that. If the seller is not willing to do that then I am not willing to do business with them. No failure and I never said you were a low level person.

Let me also say there is nothing wrong with being on the Cheap side of things and trying to find the best possible deal one can to fit any given budget. I do this as well. From my point of view if I find the right guitar for me that I have been looking for forever and the final price is close to what I am willing to spend in my budget I have to consider something. Since I have been searching for this guitar for a long time now, is it worth it for me to pass up the guitar that is a couple of hundred more than my budget but in the condition I want it to be in on the chance that another will come along eventually or do I find someway to creatively finance that extra couple of hundred (if it is possible) to get the guitar now on the chance I won't find one in that condition again?

As far as being poor you are not the only one. I don't pretend to know your situation and I wouldn't expect you to know mine.

Regarding prices on Reverb they are all over the place because the guitars listed are from different eras with different provenance and in Different conditions. They are also listed by different individuals who place different values on them. An F50R from the 70's might not bring the same price as one made in Tacoma for instance. One might belong to someone who was a famous /semi famous guitar player or singer, etc... However in the last 6 months to a year I know for a fact that a member here got a Smoking deal off of Reverb on a perfect condition burst New Hartford F50R so the deals are out there, you just have to be patient and hope you catch them at the right time.

Have a good one

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I hear ya Tx lots of different angles I guess certainly don't mean to ryle anyone up .

So I don't except your "have a good one " as a proper ending this but rather a hug 🤗:) luv ya and your wisdom along with everyone else's .

I know nothing and to learn sometimes requires a good sized brick upside the head . 😁

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
MRIC is the repair company right ? Isand you seen the before pics of my CV-1 you'd cringe.

Fergoddabout dat.
Still, from what I remember, it was playable but aesthetically "rough" due to a gap between fretboard extension and top? ****
Which they may not have done anything about, because they didn't want to mess with something that was already "marginal" as built, and the reason it wound up with them in the first place?
(Could be wrong, that's just how I remember it now that you reminded me)
Or maybe we could call it the exception that proves the rule?
In fact, I'm realizing you didn't actually get it from them (they don't sell direct to end customers, I believe), but it was just known MIRC piece because of the label, and it's possible it was mucked with by the folks who had it before you?
Anyway not shoutin' ya down, just presenting other possible explanations for why that piece was such a surprise when you got it.

*** the longer my brain percolates, the more detail starts rising from the murk:
It had an intonation problem, too, didn't it?

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I hear ya Tx lots of different angles I guess certainly don't mean to ryle anyone up .

So I don't except your "have a good one " as a proper ending this but rather a hug 珞:) luv ya and your wisdom along with everyone else's .

I know nothing and to learn sometimes requires a good sized brick upside the head . 

No one is getting riled up Ray, There are a lot of angles to things especially selling and buying used guitars. It is extremely hard and frustrating to weed through all the BS out there to get to the Honest sellers and quality guitars. If you need a brick let me know I have several around here that I use on myself regularly. LOL!

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fergoddabout dat.
Still, from what I remember, it was playable but aesthetically "rough" due to a gap between fretboard extension and top? ****
Which they may not have done anything about, because they didn't want to mess with something that was already "marginal" as built, and the reason it wound up with them in the first place?
(Could be wrong, that's just how I remember it now that you reminded me)
Or maybe we could call it the exception that proves the rule?
In fact, I'm realizing you didn't actually get it from them (they don't sell direct to end customers, I believe), but it was just known MIRC piece because of the label, and it's possible it was mucked with by the folks who had it before you?
Anyway not shoutin' ya down, just presenting other possible explanations for why that piece was such a surprise when you got it.

*** the longer my brain percolates, the more detail starts rising from the murk:
It had an intonation problem, too, didn't it?

Welll your right too , I don't know the extent to which they repair .
It was a combination of neck and body issues with the that bolt on block and spider web thingy . They just did not measure well or possible double check the jigs .
You can't see it now I da fixed it 😁 Forgot I posted it over <------ that way 😁

They did not replace the bridge either which should have been done I feel .

I

Last edited: