Guild GF60

Reaction score
I realize there's been discussions about the Walker/Gruhn era Guilds from the 90's. I own a GF60 from this period but what is very odd about my guitar is that the neck serial number does not match the body serial number in the sound hole. Someone suggested that mine might have been a prototype or one that was produced for Eric Clapton. I contacted Guild about the serial number issue and the response I received was "I've never seen anything like it". It's a beautiful guitar and it's going to need a neck reset eventually. It's nice having Kim Walker right here in CT.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi Glenn, and Welcome!

I believe the GF-60 is late 1980's. during this time period, there was actually quite a bit of confusion internally at Guild regarding the hand-written model number and possibly sometimes the hand-written serial number, both on the paper label inside the guitar. the serial number stamped on the back of the headstock is the correct serial number (although there have been cases where some of those stamps have a story behind them too, and don't make a ton of sense either).

Our member Hans Moust is the author of "The Guild Guitar Book" and can give you more information. you can post the serial number here or email him through his website http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/index.php

GF-60's are nice! real nice! cheers

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Another "Welcome!", and another request for pictures!

walrus

GF60

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll show mine, hopefully Glenn will share his.

This is after changing to Grover Sta-tites

I bought mine, new, in 1988. You don't see too many of these and the ones I have seen are usually rosewood. It is really a fine guitar.

Last edited:

fuman

Reaction score
Golly, those were great guitars. My all-time favorite Guild. I have bid on a couple of Gruhn-era Guild GFs and have never won. Not really in the market right now, but it's on the list for sure.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG Glenn! Guild will not be able to help you, the only person who can help you is Hans Moust as mentioned. Hans reads those posts here as well. You cannot attach pictures directly to the forum, you need to host them somewhere else and post a link to the jpg.
Ralf

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll show mine, hopefully Glenn will share his.

This is after changing to Grover Sta-tites

I bought mine, new, in 1988. You don't see too many of these and the ones I have seen are usually rosewood. It is really a fine guitar.

That's a really beautiful guitar. 17" lower bout like an f50?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That's a really beautiful guitar. 17" lower bout like an f50?
No they were a little smaller, 16" lower bout like an F40 ,according to www.Westerlyguildguitars.com.
More like an F44, which was also flat-back maple version of F40.
The GF30 was arch-backed maple body 16" lower bout, arched back maple was much more common design for Guild, at least from what I remember seeing here.