PSA: Fake HB1s on Reverb

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
https://reverb.com/item/6500000-pai...ups-gold-original-vintage-nos-manhattan-x-500

I'm using the pics to write up an article on how to spot fake HB1s, because if someone didn't know better they'd be tempted. I've worried that this would happen. I hate it when I'm right.

I've contacted the seller because it's entirely possible that they pulled them from a guitar where someone screwed them over. We'll see what happens.

Fake-Vintage-Guild-HB1s-Back-3x2.jpg

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
This seller on Reverb has always been a bit on the shady side anyways GAD, Especially when it comes to Guild Items and their authenticity. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he had these made to sell. For a moment I thought they might be the New Korean made HB1's Guild is currently using in some Newark Street series guitars with the Quick connects cut off but the Guild website doesn't show them from the back side and the wires are different colors. Personally I would just stay away from this seller all together. Just my 2 cents of course.

TX

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Those are the Korean HB-1 pickups, the round "ROHS compliant" sticker as well as the oval "Neck/Bridge Pick ups BHK" stickers were removed but the glue of both is still clearly visible. I'd guess they were from a New Hartford made year 2014 GSR X-500D Stuart where they first appeared before they were used in the Newark St. line if I am not mistaken. At that time they didn't use connectors in the New Hartford made guitars.
Ralf

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Those are the Korean HB-1 pickups, the round "ROHS compliant" sticker as well as the oval "Neck/Bridge Pick ups BHK" stickers were removed but the glue of both is still clearly visible. I'd guess they were from a New Hartford made year 2014 GSR X-500D Stuart where they first appeared before they were used in the Newark St. line if I am not mistaken. At that time they didn't use connectors in the New Hartford made guitars.
Ralf

They put those pickups in GSRs?

Anyone seen or have pics of these pickups? Is it possible they shipped with that black goo on them?

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
https://reverb.com/item/6500000-pai...ups-gold-original-vintage-nos-manhattan-x-500

I'm using the pics to write up an article on how to spot fake HB1s, because if someone didn't know better they'd be tempted. I've worried that this would happen. I hate it when I'm right.

I've contacted the seller because it's entirely possible that they pulled them from a guitar where someone screwed them over. We'll see what happens.

Fake-Vintage-Guild-HB1s-Back-3x2.jpg
RWQgeVf.jpg

Gold HB-1 set that Chris Seeger gifted me when I picked up my Starfire. Scam artist.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ralf

I completely forgot that they put those in the GSR Electrics, Nice info Ralf! Now that you mention it I remember people being upset about the smaller LB1's in some of the GSR T400's having the same weak Bridge pickups that the early Newark Street models had issues with.

TX

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mind if I use that picture?

Be my guest.

I completely forgot that they put those in the GSR Electrics, Nice info Ralf! Now that you mention it I remember people being upset about the smaller LB1's in some of the GSR T400's having the same weak Bridge pickups that the early Newark Street models had issues with.

TX

Huh?
They never changed the specs for the minibucker bridge pickup. They still suck (imho) but nobody at CMG gives a sh&t. That's what you get when you have a guitar company run by the tone deaf. That reminds me, I have to put the vintage minibucker I bought in that guitar so I can play it again.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Be my guest.

Huh?
They never changed the specs for the minibucker bridge pickup. They still suck (imho) but nobody at CMG gives a sh&t. That's what you get when you have a guitar company run by the tone deaf. That reminds me, I have to put the vintage minibucker I bought in that guitar so I can play it again.

I was referring to the fact that they used all Korean pickups for the "Guild Look-a-like" pickups in the GSR Electric line. I know the full size Korean HB1's listed in this thread were from the GSR X500D's but Ralf's mention of the Korean Pickups in the GSR's jogged my memory about the Korean made LB1's and the T400 bridge pickup issue. Wasn't trying to make my post confusing, Sorry if I did.

TX

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The exceptions were the T-500, the X-180 and the SFVI. They used Seymour Duncan pups. :-D The T-500 used custom wound P90s, the SFVI used Antiquities. Not sure which pups were in the X180s, although one seller claims they were '59s.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not sure which pups were in the X180s, although one seller claims they were '59s.
Yes, the GSR X-180 used gold plated Seymour Duncan® '59 humbucking neck and bridge pickups.

The SFVI used Antiquities.
The GSR Starfire VI used Seymour Duncan® Seth Lover pickups.

The GSR X500D Stuart and the GSR X-150D Savoy used the new BH (Korea) made "Guild Anti-Hum Dual Coil" full size HB-1s. Only the GSR X-500D used the gold plated version.

"BH" stands for Booheung Precision Machinery Co., Ltd., 629-4,, Namchon-Dong, Namdong-Gu, Inchon, Incheon-Gwangyeokshi, 405-100, South Korea.
The "K" in BHK stands for Korea as they also have a Chinese factory in which case the label would read BHC. (Example of a BHC marked pickup, not from Guild: http://oi44.tinypic.com/11b7qrl.jpg )

Ralf

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the correction! Seth Lovers, they are! I wish l could find proper Guild pickup cover for it - the plain ones just look strange.

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
They never changed the specs for the minibucker bridge pickup. They still suck (imho) but nobody at CMG gives a sh&t. That's what you get when you have a guitar company run by the tone deaf.

This tone deaf guy still thinks they sound pretty darn good. :triumphant:

-Dave-

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
This seller on Reverb has always been a bit on the shady side anyways GAD, Especially when it comes to Guild Items and their authenticity. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he had these made to sell. For a moment I thought they might be the New Korean made HB1's Guild is currently using in some Newark Street series guitars with the Quick connects cut off but the Guild website doesn't show them from the back side and the wires are different colors. Personally I would just stay away from this seller all together. Just my 2 cents of course.

TX
I agree, TX. I'm intensely curious as to who this seller is in my town, and often it appears that this person is parting out vintage gear. Prices always seem to be about 30-50% higher than standard market values and reflects the kind of seller's attitude of someone trying drive prices up. It sucks because there are several vintage shops in this town that offer fair and reasonable prices on the stuff this seller is peddling on Reverb.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Just imagine how good they would sound if they were both right. My 1968 have 7.25k in the bridge and it leaves NS bridge pups for dead.

Yeah, but I have other guitars with bridge pickups that do the oomph! thing. The NS bridge p'up jangles, which is why I like it. I do get that Fender opted for a mismatched LB-1 set…but for me it works. I like Tele neck pickups too, and those are arguably "mismatched" to the bridge p'ups. Whatever…

-Dave-