Want an Acoustic, have no idea what kind I want

wisconsindead

Reaction score
Hey guys. Bassist here looking to finally get my first acoustic guitar. I have no idea what kind I want. Frankly, just about every acoustic guitar I play sounds like the others. I like the sound that someone like Mississippi John Hurt plays. Something in that ball park would be a good start. Preferably under $650. Any ideas?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mississippi John played an F-30, so did Paul Simon. They're certainly a great choice. I have a late Westerly F-30, and it's a great guitar; not too big, not too small (although I like the smaller ones too!), a great sound, works great for fingerpicking and strumming. It will be tough getting a US Guild F-30 for that price, unless it's in need of some serious work; they start around $1000, but deals do pop up. The import version F-130s, both GAD and Westerly collection, are certainly in your price range.
24837957.jpg

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last edited:

wisconsindead

Reaction score
Thanks AcornHouse. Any other ideas on models. Something similar to the F-30/F-130?

Reaction score
In that price range, a decent new guitar is going to be Asian-built, which is not a bad thing--Blueridge and Eastman, out of China, both produce very respectable instruments. Yamaha and Alvarez-Yairi have a good reputations and long histories. Seagull, out of Canada, has a big range of inexpensive models. (I personally am underwhelmed by Washburn and Takamine and find the house-brand instruments at Guitar Center hardly worth taking off the wall.)

If all the guitars you're trying sound the same to you, I'd suggest you keep playing until they start to distinguish themselves. Also pay attention to how an instrument feels in your hands (sound isn't the whole story). Second-hand (or third or Nth) is a serious option, as with a car--a significant discount over new, and it's already broken in.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
YouTube and good headphones might help also not disrespecting the forum but check AGF acoustic guitar forum under show and tell , there's a bunch of songs folks post with good audio which could give you a better idea of what to look for Also listen here under member music .
If you don't go with Guild I give a thumbs up to Blueridge :)
Good luck in your search .

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Godin brands all seem to be decent guitars. I picked up a lefthanded Simon & Patrick for a song at GC and it's pretty close to a D-25. Satin finish and a cedar top, may from all Canuck wood.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wisconsin sir I sent you a PM

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Godin brands all seem to be decent guitars. I picked up a lefthanded Simon & Patrick for a song at GC and it's pretty close to a D-25.
Be aware, that any D guitar is a dreadnaught shape, and will sound different than the F models, which are jumbo shaped. So, if you want a Mississippi John sound, even though you may have a hard time hearing it now, you might want to stay closer to his guitar.

wisconsindead

Reaction score
OK thanks guys.

Any thoughts on maybe a parlor style guitar? The M-240E seems like a great deal but I'm not sure it has the right vibe/tone.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you want his sound, I'd stick with the F-30/F-130 guitars. Plenty of GAD versions in your price range. Why look at something different if that's what you like.

wisconsindead

Reaction score
Well thats the thing, it's not that I only like his sound, or only want that. I really like Jerry Garcia's tone on Reckoning which is a dreadnought Takamine if I recall correctly, but every dreadnought I touch sounds boring/like every other dreadnought. Part of this is all a big mystery in that I don't understand how some people make acoustic guitars sound so good. My friend has a D18 which feels really nice to play but I don't find to sound all that great.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fair enough. That also opens up more possibilities, especially amongst the entry model US Guild dreads. D4s, D15s, maybe even D25s can be found in your price range. My gateway Guild was a D4; nothing fancy, but a wonderful guitar (I just discovered that dreads did not work ergonomically for me; but the playing feel and sound were great.) I just saw a D4 listed for Reverb for $450. https://reverb.com/item/6543936-guild-d4-nt-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar-made-in-usa

I don't think you'd be happy with one of the smaller Guilds, they have a different sound than even the next size up F-30.

Others have commented from personal experience that lower level Martins can be hit or miss. I'll let them address that.

(Should have figured out the Jerry Garcia connection from your forum name.)

Last edited:

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
If you're expecting that a guitar you are playing is going to sound like a recording you like...

wisconsindead

Reaction score
Looks like I deleted my post?

If you're expecting that a guitar you are playing is going to sound like a recording you like...

Ik. I already pursue trying to sound like Phil lesh so I'm used to it.

I will say I was just listening to a guild m20 and Martin ceo7 and 00L17 and liked them all. The CEO 7 probably the least. Although all are too expensive. I didn't like the guild dreadnought suggestions much.

Neal

Reaction score
If you are a bass player, you are unlikely to like the sound of a smaller acoustic. Generally, they lack enough bass to satisfy me, anyway.

The F-30 is the smallest size (orchestra, 000) that I have found has sufficient bass response for me.

Guild is known for their jumbo guitars. Very deep bass response. Try one. You might like it. But it will be difficult to find one built right in the USA at your price point.

geoguy

Reaction score
Guild's F47 is a model that I've found to have more bass than I expected, for a guitar that isn't particularly large. It comes in a couple of flavors, including rosewood (often my favorite tone wood). It would likely cost double your $650 budget, but might be worth saving up for some time in the future.

I suggest that you go to a shop that has a variety of guitars to choose from (not just under $650), and play some instruments with different side/back woods, different sizes/shapes, & see if you can begin to hear differences between them. Maybe also bring a buddy who can play them for you . . . you might be better able to hear the differences when listening from an "audience" viewpoint, versus when you are holding the instrument.

p.s. - I suspect that you might find a parlor-size guitar to sound too small or boxy, but it can't hurt to try.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild's F47 is a model that I've found to have more bass than I expected, for a guitar that isn't particularly large. It comes in a couple of flavors, including rosewood (often my favorite tone wood). It would likely cost double your $650 budget, but might be worth saving up for some time in the future.

p.s. - I suspect that you might find a parlor-size guitar to sound too small or boxy, but it can't hurt to try.

FWIW Jerry was playing F50's (17" lower bout/maple arch back) all the way back in his pre-Dead days.
An F40 is a 16" lower bout archback and the F47's are based on the same basic size.
There have been flat and archback versions of them in different body woods over time.
F30's are 15" lower bout and I agree with Neal that's probably the smallest you'd want to go to get satisfying bass response.
You may even want to look at D40's, flat back hog-bodied dread, they can get a pretty good thump without the expense of rosewood.