New from Oxnard: USA series "F-40 Jumbo"

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am surprised nobody posted about this yet. (at least I didn't see a thread).

Guild introduced the next USA made model, the "F-40 Jumbo" during Summer NAMM 2017 in Nashville.

It has a solid sitka spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, and a rosewood fretboard and bridge. Simple dot fret markers. Satin Varnish finish and I guess a Mortoise and Tenon neck joint like other standard models from Oxnard.

Streetprice will be $ 1.599. It will start shipping soon, should be in shops around November I guess. (First listing here).

Click the video link below for the info. It is the "final test" for the upcoming Traditional series F-55 and F-512 models (which will be introduced during Winter NAMM 2018).

19984404_412922925768257_3129531188700512256_n.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow , now my question is isn't it going to compete with the Westerly line ? I know there's a five hundred dollar difference and it seems like a easy jump to make if the American built is preferred.

merlin6666

Reaction score
Thanks totally missed that. Though they launched the D55 in Winter NAMM and I have not heard of anyone getting their hand on one, I asked my delaer who is supposed to get one and he said they are not yet shipping from the factory ...

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, man, that's wonderful!! Great catch, Ralf!!!

The 6-string twin of the F-212-XL... a model that never was, right? I.e., I don't think there was a solid mahogany jumbo (17") 6-string in the line-up. Ever, right? It should be noted that Martin has been making a mahogany Grand-J for a while at a very low price point... MIM, I believe.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
One more name designation of a former Guild Historical model to mess with everyone's head, LOL! Looks interesting but I wonder about what neck joint it has and what Bracing it has at that price point. At least it looks like a full size jumbo instead of the 16-16.5" wide lower bouts like some of the earlier Overseas Jumbo models and such had. Honestly though I would prefer to have a nitro finish on it. Still, may be worth checking out but not putting solid money on the release date. The D55 is just now making it to vendors for sale to the public 9 1/2 months after introducing it. That would put this one at somewhere around March going off of their past models.

Thanks for the info Ralf!

TX

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh, man, that's wonderful!! Great catch, Ralf!!!

The 6-string twin of the F-212-XL... a model that never was, right? I.e., I don't think there was a solid mahogany jumbo (17") 6-string in the line-up. Ever, right? It should be noted that Martin has been making a mahogany Grand-J for a while at a very low price point... MIM, I believe.

Guild made the F48 which was a solid Mahogany back and sides Spruce top full size Jumbo in the early 70's for a few years but they had Block inlays instead of the dot markers on the fretboard. The JF4 was a full size Jumbo with a Spruce top and Laminated Arched Mahogany Back in the 90's. The Custom Shop Orpheum Jumbo from New Hartford was an Adirondack top Honduran Hog back and sides all hide glue construction full size jumbo made between 2013-2014. Those are the only 3 Guild Models I know of that were full size (17" lower bout) Hog backed Jumbo 6 strings.

TX

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Didn't look gloss in the video. Looks gloss in the photo. So what's the finish? Okay never mind, Ralf already said, SATIN. It's the pickguard that's gloss I guess. And the angle of the headstock makes it look like it COULD be gloss but...... nope. Never mind.....

When are they gonna do gloss? D55 is the big gloss reveal for them? They DARE NOT make a satin D55..... WOULD THEY?? YIKES!! <insert horrified emoticon>

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just not a big fan of satin finishes. I have a Walden with a satin finish, and it plays and sound fine, but places that get lots of contact, turn into a shiny finish, like the back of the neck and where I might rest my fingers on the top.

jazzmang

Reaction score
Just to note: If it doesn't say "Traditional Series" (or whatever they're calling it now in Oxnard), there is a high likelihood that they are *not* using a traditional dovetail neck joint.
Likely dowels. Good luck with a reset.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
When are they gonna do gloss? D55 is the big gloss reveal for them?
The "Traditional" models are high gloss nitrocellulose, at least that is how they called the D-40. (as there is also a D-40 in satin).
You can also see it on the Chesterfield in the headstock. No Chesterfield or G but only the roof top Guild name means satin (at least so far...).
http://guildguitars.com/g/d-40-traditional-in-natural/
http://guildguitars.com/g/d-40-traditional-in-antique-sunburst/
So the two D-55s (NT and ATB) are the second Oxnard model coming in high gloss nitro.
Next should be the four F-512 (including former F-412) versions (at Winter NAMM 2018) and the four F-55 (former F-50) versions (may or may not be at Winter NAMM 2018).
Ralf

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Guild made the F48 which was a solid Mahogany back and sides Spruce top full size Jumbo in the early 70's for a few years but they had Block inlays instead of the dot markers on the fretboard. The JF4 was a full size Jumbo with a Spruce top and Laminated Arched Mahogany Back in the 90's. The Custom Shop Orpheum Jumbo from New Hartford was an Adirondack top Honduran Hog back and sides all hide glue construction full size jumbo made between 2013-2014. Those are the only 3 Guild Models I know of that were full size (17" lower bout) Hog backed Jumbo 6 strings.

TX
Excellent, Tex. I forgot about the F-48. That what this new F-40 Jumbo is similar to. We'll have to do a comparo against that old model someday.

Yup, the JF-4 was indeed a mahogany archie, and I didn't count the Orpheum mahogany jumbo models (though I should've said that).

Oh, and by the way, folks, the mahogany Martin Grand J I was referring to earlier has been discontinued (apparently). https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/discontinued-guitars/grand-j12-16gte/

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow , now my question is isn't it going to compete with the Westerly line ? I know there's a five hundred dollar difference and it seems like a easy jump to make if the American built is preferred.

$500 is a huge price jump for some people, no matter how badly they want to buy American.

gilded

Reaction score
Less man hours, so satin is cheaper to produce than gloss. Plus you don't have to risk buffing through a gloss finish and having to bandsaw the guitar, sell it as an employee guitar, etc.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Makes me wonder if they are still restricted by CA regulations and the gloss finish is more of an issue.