Unusual '97 Starfire III ?

bobouz

Reaction score
Can you post (forward to GAD or myself) a pic of the label?

Chris -

When I first read this, for some reason I missed the fact that you said I could send you the label pic.

Will do so shortly!

Bob

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's the label, folks. A clear 3.
img_0473.jpg

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Checking the serial number charts, the SF3s and SF2s share the same number scheme, obviously since they use the same body.
I'm going to guess that the body got labeled as a SF3 while it was being made, but when they got to final assembly, they needed an extra SF2 and grabbed a 3 body. Having the label already inside, it's a tad tricky to change it through an f-hole.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wonder why the guy who took the Bigsby off left the bridge?

C'mon people, this is common sense stuff. Not everyone loves a vibrato.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the bridge on this guitar was not used on the SF-2 in 1997, i *think.
and the SF-2 seems a lot less common than the SF-3, from this time period.
If the label says "3" than that makes it a "3," since they shared serial numbers- *whether it left the factory with a Guildsby or not* you own a SF-3. and a mighty beautiful one! If you want a Guildsby from 1997 email Hans and see if he can help. make sure the holes line up with the holes on your guitar. or just leave it alone!

I do question though, if it ever had a Guildsby, wouldn't there be an extra screw hole in the top of the guitar, that goes into the Guildsby unit, that would not be there be there with the harp unit? Edit: since this guitar is fully hollow, it might have a different Guildsby (without that top screw) than for a semi hollow (SF-5)??

i think it was/is a SF-3. they ran out of Guildsbys for that week, or someone wanted a sunburst without the Guildsby, and this is what they got. same thing as a SF-2 for 1997.

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
No. Just no. The regular Bigs have no screws into the top, just the regular three mounting screws and a hole that the strap button fits into, just the same as the harps.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Checking the serial number charts, the SF3s and SF2s share the same number scheme, obviously since they use the same body.
I'm going to guess that the body got labeled as a SF3 while it was being made, but when they got to final assembly, they needed an extra SF2 and grabbed a 3 body. Having the label already inside, it's a tad tricky to change it through an f-hole.
Fits with similar scenarios Hans has described before.
I even recall a 6-string acoustic that had 12-string top bracing (was it an F30 with an F112 top?), factory-built (confirmed by Hans), as if they needed an extra top that day and that's what was handy.

bobouz

Reaction score
Many thanks to everyone for your input.

However it happened, the guitar seems perfect & will remain just the way it is!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fits with similar scenarios Hans has described before.
I even recall a 6-string acoustic that had 12-string top bracing (was it an F30 with an F112 top?), factory-built (confirmed by Hans), as if they needed an extra top that day and that's what was handy.
Which would be fine, if the tailpiece and bridge were glued to the superstructure. The guy took the vibrato off, and ebayed it. Occam's razor, anybody?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
No. Just no. The regular Bigs have no screws into the top, just the regular three mounting screws and a hole that the strap button fits into, just the same as the harps.

not to veer too much, but just to be clear, this is my SF-4 w/Guildsby, which is semi-hollow so it has a block under the tailpice. you can see the one single screw into the top of the guitar, on the tailpiece mounting, directly across from where the Guildsby arm and spring is mounted-

agstuT.jpg

but the SF-3 is fully hollow, no block, so the Guildsby on those i'd imagine may be different, and may not have the screw.

Edit:

here is a 1997 SF-3. clearly the entire Guildsby is different.

C88gfW.png

so the subject guitar and my guitar share the same fate, by looking at them, it is impossible to tell if the tailpieces are original or not. There are no extra screw holes under the end block. Mine has a screw in the top which a 4 would not have but a 5 would, still, it is not possible to know if it left the factory that way or not (I believe it did based on information i've gathered, but it is not possible to prove).

Again if you can't tell if it is original or not, than it really doesn't matter. Use the tailpiece of your choice! You own a SF-3, and I own a SF-4, even though the tailpieces are alternate Guild hardware.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like her just the way she is! I've always wanted an SF II. Of course I'm always a sucker for a nice 'burst...

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The screw in the top is a result of using a different model Bigsby.