Which Guild model is Dan Hicks playing here?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
TC,

That's what I was thinking, but the tuners look like chrome to me.

dh

Hard to tell with the poor video quality. Definitely has the block inlays and the G shield headstock, so if the tuners are chrome, they've been swapped out.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It looks smaller than a 17" F-50 body. I'd guess it is a rosewood 16" GF-60R. (In 1989 the GF-55 didn't exist yet I think). He had mentioned in an interview that he had slightly smaller size "F-50 type" Guilds.
EDIT: No, GF-60 had different fretboard inlays...So it seems to be a F-50...

hqdefault.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:
Reaction score
Maybe a GF-55 of GF-60?
Now that I see our two guitars in the pics, his guitar DOES look like it has a slightly narrower waist!
(Heck, even Dan himself has a slightly narrower waist than me! LOL!)

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Maybe a GF-55 of GF-60?
In post #6 I explained that the GF-55 did not exist yet in 1989, so if not a F-50 it had to be a GF-60R, at least that is how I understood it. I only mentioned it as Dan said in an interview he had a "smaller type of F-50". http://www.puremusic.com/hicks2.html
"I went over to see John Weber at Leo's Music in Oakland, and got two Guild F-50 guitars....I still have that guitar. I still play a Guild live, it's not exactly an F-50, it's a little more modern version. I think it's just a taste smaller."

HOWEVER: That interview is from 2001, so not exactly close to 1989...So it is highly likely in 1989 it still was a rosewood F-50 indeed. Also the GF-60R had different fingerboard inlays.

Ralf

Last edited:
Reaction score
Now that guitar is NOT the 1989 guitar! That is an entirely different
guitar! That picture shows a JF-30 I'd say. Unbound fingerboard, rosewood vs ebony fingerboard (?)...Can't see the headstock unfortunatelly but most probably a snakehead headstock.
The 1989 guitar from the video was shown in post #6.
Ralf

No, no Ralf... this pic is me with my Corona-built JF-30. I only posted it to show how small jumbos look on tall guys, that's all. Sorry for any confusion.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
HOWEVER: That interview is from 2001, so not exactly close to 1989...So it is highly likely in 1989 it still was a rosewood F-50 indeed. Also the GF-60R had different fingerboard inlays.

Ralf

Also, didn't all those GF's have snakehead headstocks?

wileypickett

Reaction score
Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks played the evening of my freshman college orientation at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond in 1971. I had their records, was a fan, and went to the show. It was in the campus gymnasium, a basketball court as I recall and everyone just squatted on the floor. Before Hicks & company went on, there was an opener who was introduced by some greasy looking guy who told us all that we'd be hearing a lot from this performer in the years ahead; that his debut album was going to be released by Columbia in a matter of a few weeks and we should all be sure to look for it.

The performer was Bruce Springsteen.

He did eight or 10 songs and sounded (to me) like a poor-man's Bob Dylan. I turned to my roommate and said, "That guy's going absolutely nowhere."

Another example of my hitting the nail right on the head.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also, didn't all those GF's have snakehead headstocks?
Yes, as far as I know. You are right. My bad...
Would be interesting to know what other smaller Guild he was referring to in the 2001 interview when he said: "...it's not exactly an F-50, it's a little more modern version. I think it's just a taste smaller."
Ralf

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes, as far as I know. You are right. My bad...
Would be interesting to know what other smaller Guild he was referring to in the 2001 interview when he said: "...it's not exactly an F-50, it's a little more modern version. I think it's just a taste smaller."
Ralf

I'm thinking his syntax indicates he was aware of the model name change to JF65 but didn't remember it off the top of his head in the interview or just didn't feel like going into great lengths of explanation..
"A taste smaller" was popular slang in the day for a very small almost immeasurable amount, like a "pinch" of salt in a recipe.

And have we not seen reports of JF65's being a bit shallower than F50's, maybe even not quite as wide, by fractions, and maybe especially compared to late '60's F50's?
I always associated him with F50's and that was the first I heard of him mentioning something "just a taste smaller" but it'd be period correct for JF65, too.
In fact, I find this quote in the same interview you linked:
"I think they're going to make a real reissue of it soon. They're gonna make a special requirement guitar for me, not free or anything, when we get around to it. For now I'm just playing a version of the F-50."
That'd all tie in with JF65 about to become the F50 again in Corona, and him confirming it's a "version" of the F50 he's playing at the time.
And finally, he says he's "still playing a Guild live" , and this photo from his "60th Birthday Bash" (he turned 60 in '01) confirms a wide headstock:
dan%20one%20foot%20266.jpg

Although I guess it could still be one of his original F50's but then it would mean he's been calling his F50R an F50 for these years.

From here:
http://www.danhicks.net/bio.htm

Whoopsie this photo clearly shows a flatback so the painted up guitar must be be a JF55!
hicks001.jpg

Last edited: