Just back from Nashville

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, that was a trip! Highlights included the Grand Ole Opry with Ricky Skaggs, The Country Music Hall Of Fame and Museum, visiting The Ryman. Today on the way out of town we visited Gruhn's Guitar Shop, then we went and visited John Hartford's grave where my friend Glenn broke out his banjo and we sang "Gentle On My Mind."

The highlight for me was actually joining in the jam circle on Sunday night at The Station Inn. When it was my turn, I led them in the old gospel bluegrass tune "Washed In The Blood" on my mandolin, to thunderous applause I might add, and the place was full of people! Of course, in between verses the instrumentalists would take breaks, there were some really awesome players there - guitar, banjo, fiddle, mandolin, and an older guy (like my age) playing a mean Dobro. I considered it a real honor that they let me lead a song and added such great licks to it. It was like we were just a bunch of old friends jamming after we'd only been there for a few minutes. I was kinda surprised - I wasn't sure I was going to pull out my instrument there, and I figured we'd be so outclassed I wouldn't want to play along anyway. I was wrong.

That was a delightful experience; these guys and gals were friendly and unpretentious as can be, made us up-north boys feel right at home. They even gave me a couple of cold beers "on the house because you're playing."