The messed up Zappa family

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow! They are messed up, huh? Poor guy can't even use his own name to make music. I wonder what his dad would think of this? I only made it 3/4 of the way though and it was a struggle. But YIKES!! :stupid:

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
In this family of, uh, unusual people, here is the most unusual thing of all. Frank's brother Bob is unusually normal. Last I heard, he was an editor at McGraw-Hill.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's a shame because Frank would have hated this, and he would have likely done something to prevent it, had he anticipated all this petty sniping after his death. Shame on them.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wasn't Frank Zappa the guy who created and voiced Yoda?

TX

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
^^and money; or the potential for money^^

We're Only in it For the Money.

Money+cover+%231.jpg

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was trying to figure out why and more importantly, how, the two siblings were creating such havoc for Dweezil.

From Dweezil's Wikipedia entry:

Following the death of Zappa's mother, Gail, in October 2015, it was revealed that his siblings Ahmet and Diva were given control of the Zappa Family Trust with shares of 30% each, while Dweezil and his sister Moon were given smaller shares of 20% each.[11] As beneficiaries only, Moon and Dweezil will not see any money from the trust until it is profitable—in 2016, it was "millions of dollars in debt"[11]—and must seek permission from Ahmet, the trustee, to make money off of their father's music or merchandise bearing his name. Zappa received a cease-and-desist letter from the trust after he announced that he was being forced to perform his upcoming tour as “Dweezil Zappa Plays Frank Zappa” instead of using “Zappa Plays Zappa.” In response to the trust’s action, he renamed his performance series “50 Years of Frank: Dweezil Zappa Plays Whatever the F@%k He Wants — the Cease and Desist Tour.”[11]

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
For some reason necrothreading seemed more fun than a new one.

http://www.zappa.com/news/frank-zappa-back-road-hologram-tour

The Zappa Family Trust is putting together a tour featuring live musicians who had worked with Frank. A hologram of Frank will also be performing.

I'm not sure about this. As an audience member am I participating in a live concert or merely watching a scripted event? Maybe both? As a player I know that working with a backing track can be annoyingly frustrating so I have to wonder about this.

Given the bad blood between Dweezil and Family Trust I wonder if mentioning the possibility of Dweezil "on stage" with his father means there is a reconciliation or is it just hype?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If Frank's a hologram, it has to be a backing track (whether the band plays live or not, I'd still call it a backing track).

This quest to resurrect the dead in the interest of money makes me sad...

walrus

merlin6666

Reaction score
I would love to see Zappa plays Zappa and am not inclined to waste any money on the trust BS. I think there also was a group called the "Grandmothers" that consisted of former band members and also played many of his older stuff and was not associated with the trust.

Reaction score
I was Frank's personal assistant in 1987. He was a great guy to work for and he cared about his family. Moon was on here own at the time and a very serious girl. Dweezil was starting to get attention on MTV and a great guy. Frank had me take him to interviews to find a music video director, and other places to help his career. Hamit was a brat, fat at the time and a junk food junkie, drove his mother crazy. AS for La La she was 5 or so and loved to bug the hell out of me when I worked and was a handful. There was also niece living there named Diva who lived up to here name.Gail operated Franks and the kids business during the day while Frank slept. At night Frank worked as the entire house slept. Frank and Gail loved all their children with equal love and attention.

Last edited: