Oxnard D55 Burst Issues?

F312

Reaction score
There were a few Orpheums that left New Hartford with really poor tops, and I was the unfortunate recipient of one. In light of what ended up happening (which of course I didn't know at the time), I should have kept it and worked out a deal. Hindsight and all.

Was it the runout the reason you didn't keep the Orpheum?

Ralph

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
My '99 DV-52.

3iIS99Y.jpg

IMHO, that's what I'd call a visually pleasing and well done burst.

A high quality acoustic guitar is a finely made instrument with beautiful wood to match. The protective/enhancing finish should also be of the same quality.

Burst finishes can be extremely aesthetic, but why on earth anyone would paint such an instrument with solid color, is beyond me.

I suppose, a wonderfully sounding guitar could be made with dull and lifeless looking wood. So in that case, a nice solid color would be okay.

Reaction score
I have to say, this is an interesting thread. Since, I've taken on the role of lurker here at Let's Talk Guild, I don't have much to add. Too many smart cookies here. I clicked on that EBAY link and noticed a plug or two for some Eastman guitars with burst finishes and they appeared to be a bit wonky. This morning, I've been staring at my Westerly Collection (yes, you read right) OM140-CE with a burst finish and I think I did good.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Was it the runout the reason you didn't keep the Orpheum?

Ralph
I think it was somewhere beyond runout Ralph. The top looked like it was two different pieces of wood, worse even than in this picture I took the day it arived.

14236992306_3f97389185_b.jpg

In all fairness, it did sound superb. I returned it thinking it would be easy to find another one, and boy was I wrong. This particular guitar ended up with Rocky at Streetsounds, and fellow member Jeff Cooper ended up getting it for a fire sale price. Live and learn...

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
To me New Hartford sprayed nice bursts on the D-55 ATB.

GUILD_D55_ATB_04.jpg

I The top looked like it was two different pieces of wood, worse even than in this picture I took the day it arived.
Yes I agree, we had discussed this particular one. But in all fairness, it was a bookmatched top as visible on all the grainlines. Just an unlucky cut with a lot of runout.

Ralf

Last edited:

F312

Reaction score
I think it was somewhere beyond runout Ralph. The top looked like it was two different pieces of wood, worse even than in this picture I took the day it arived.

In all fairness, it did sound superb. I returned it thinking it would be easy to find another one, and boy was I wrong. This particular guitar ended up with Rocky at Streetsounds, and fellow member Jeff Cooper ended up getting it for a fire sale price. Live and learn...

That is still a rich looking guitar Sandy.

Ralph

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes I agree, we had discussed this particular one. But in all fairness, it was a bookmatched top as visible on all the grainlines. Just an unlucky cut with a lot of runout.

Ralf

It may well have been bookmatched Ralf, but it really didn't look like it was in the flesh. I said at the time that this top would have been acceptable on a $1000 Eastman, but not on a $3800 MAP Orpheum, and I still believe that.

That is still a rich looking guitar Sandy.

Ralph

It was and is Ralph, and in retrospect I should have kept it. Come to think of it, it would have been a good candidate to finish in black!

Just realized that I replied to Ralf and Ralph LOL!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sandy that was one of the WORST cases of runout I've ever seen, for sure! And I understood your reasoning but then..... suddenly there are no more and, gosh! But it was pretty severe. One of the worst ever. These are the cases when you need to be blindfolded and just listen? I dunno......

p.s. - wow, can you imagine having the only high-gloss black Orpheum to ever be made? One of a kind and no one would ever know!! LOL!!

beecee

Reaction score
Slight veer but if the Orfs are so desirable why is the one at GC still around three weeks later?

Price?

Neal

Reaction score

Here's a 12-fretter...

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483893

jazzmang

Reaction score
I had a NH D-55 that had a bit of runout on the lower bout. Didn't really bother me.
uZ9rWfqRYWooTclJYlyebEisAK4kNdMmTo7ZZ6f6d-gNClp4XZl771VpO1pKxJMQ29rcZXRd3skzxmUbbClqwycyQKK59yakbG7JYYtGFIMUVX9LwdY17rCX38l7ZayYjtv-hNnCGls=w547-h732-no

Also, my D-100C has a bit as well:

PzWr9Yn8_KgHlC7o0p3RZNumGJ1da2lQhaW6IXdL-cBofNCvqX1DsO9dBtBw7BOZquhmA7f8WvfWf0-Tx2ifjKxdrCwAR4U17zWCd8MF8rYsBOAwSP5ldp8CLEAjoyr3NjvMWElCq4k=w1266-h950-no

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
As Sandy mentioned, I have his former Orpheum Mahogany OM. And the top really is a sight to behold. The luthier who works on my guitars (and who also builds furniture) insists that this is a bookmatched top with an odd cut that resulted in the two-tone effect. He explained it to me at length; I don't recall the details, but I trust his judgment. Funny looking though it is, the guitar does sound magnificent. And it doesn't look this bad from most angles.

02orpheum-full.jpg

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I dunno... it's kinda growing on me! That wood looks like it almost glows...
the striking difference in color tone is definitely more interesting to look at than a completely uniform top.

tommym

Reaction score
As Sandy mentioned, I have his former Orpheum Mahogany OM. And the top really is a sight to behold. The luthier who works on my guitars (and who also builds furniture) insists that this is a bookmatched top with an odd cut that resulted in the two-tone effect. He explained it to me at length; I don't recall the details, but I trust his judgment. Funny looking though it is, the guitar does sound magnificent. And it doesn't look this bad from most angles.

02orpheum-full.jpg

I helped to build a few guitars in the late 70's with that two-tone effect. The build effort was more deliberate, and not dependent on lighting or run-out to achieve the effect. I always wanted to build one of those for myself one day, but that one day never came.

Tommy

MLBob

Reaction score
What a great and informative thread! This is why I love this forum. Thanks to all who posted.

Bob