A life changing event.

griehund

Reaction score
Just curious how many folks use lighter than 13-56 strings on their dreads and jumbos. I use 12-52 on my little Yamaha but my fingers are old and crooked and I am beginning to have a hard time with the mediums on my D40. What to do what to do.

guitarslinger

Reaction score
I just went up to 11-49 on my D50. I know I'm not getting everything I can out of the guitar, but, I'm also old, and crooked in some sense of that word. I also typically play electric.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have used Earthwood 80/20 Lights (11 - 52) for a while on my D64. I have a package of Extra Lights (10 - 50) I'm going to try next string change. I've always looked for a more electric feel on acoustic - the 11's are easier to play, and sound great. We'll see if the 10's work, or if I lose too much tone/volume.

walrus

griehund

Reaction score
Well alrighty then. My trepidation has been officially assuaged. Now to get up off my procrasstination device and do the evil deed. BTW I just heard that "Little Shop of Horrors" is coming back to a theater new you for Halloween. "FEED ME SEYMOUR!"

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I recently switched to D'Addario PB Bluegrass on my DV-52 and D-25M. The wound strings are the same as the mediums, but the top 2 strings are lighter than mediums. I like. And I've been playing their PB Mediums for decades.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well alrighty then. My trepidation has been officially assuaged. Now to get up off my procrasstination device and do the evil deed. BTW I just heard that "Little Shop of Horrors" is coming back to a theater new you for Halloween. "FEED ME SEYMOUR!"

With the original alternate ending!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have used Earthwood 80/20 Lights (11 - 52) for a while on my D64. I have a package of Extra Lights (10 - 50) I'm going to try next string change. I've always looked for a more electric feel on acoustic - the 11's are easier to play, and sound great. We'll see if the 10's work, or if I lose too much tone/volume.

walrus

the John Pears 550SL's are 11-50, i'm pretty sure. on my F-20 it literally feels like an electric guitar. 10's on a full size dread might be "throwing the baby out with the bathwater," I suspect.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
the John Pears 550SL's are 11-50, i'm pretty sure. on my F-20 it literally feels like an electric guitar. 10's on a full size dread might be "throwing the baby out with the bathwater," I suspect.

You might be right, but I'm going to try it and see, just for fun. Might surprise me. I've tried D'Addario PB extra lights which lost me too much volume. I like the 11's a lot, just going to give the 10's a try.

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Just curious how many folks use lighter than 13-56 strings on their dreads and jumbos. I use 12-52 on my little Yamaha but my fingers are old and crooked and I am beginning to have a hard time with the mediums on my D40. What to do what to do.

Both my dreads were spec'd for 12-53 lights and it's what I still use.
Your '74 D40 might have been spec'd for mediums.
I think you could go to 12's easily without too much loss of "tone".
11's might be too light if it's built like the proverbial tank.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You guys are great sources of info on strings! Thanks.
Shhhh.
If word gets around we might start seein' all kinds of posts about strings.
BTW D'A's Custom lights are 11-52, their Extra lights are 10-47.
And I always buy an .025 "G" to sub into their "light" set to exactly replicate the original Guild L350 set that was spec'd for my D25.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh boy, string talk!

I've said it before....D'Addario EJ19. Light top/Medium, bottom. Best of both worlds.
Or of you prefer, EJ16....let there be lights.
:mellow:

Joe
Or if you want coated strings, the D'Addario EXP-14's are the same 12-56. Light top, medium bottom. They sound really nice on my new Breedlove. It's a concert size but I'm gonna try these on ALL the guitars just to see. And they last longer!! The Earthwood 80/20 Lights (11 - 52) that I tried on the D65 were initially bright and okay until they broke in and now they're just too quiet for me. I need a little more volume. I have 4 more different types of strings to try. Just keep playing and throwing strings on there. If they're too heavy for you use lighter. If they're too light use heavier. If you can't decide use another kind. Your guitar is always gonna need new strings.......

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cliff, I'd call this a "String Changing Event". Life is treacherous and variable and you just have to suck it up. Strings? You can change them..... easy.