A life changing event.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Or if you want coated strings, the D'Addario EXP-14's are the same 12-56. Light top, medium bottom. They sound really nice on my new Breedlove. It's a concert size but I'm gonna try these on ALL the guitars just to see. And they last longer!! The Earthwood 80/20 Lights (11 - 52) that I tried on the D65 were initially bright and okay until they broke in and now they're just too quiet for me. I need a little more volume. I have 4 more different types of strings to try. Just keep playing and throwing strings on there. If they're too heavy for you use lighter. If they're too light use heavier. If you can't decide use another kind. Your guitar is always gonna need new strings.......

Ah, Tom the Earthwoods were my recommendation, right? Sorry they didn't work for you. I change my strings every month, so just about when they get bit "worn", I'm changing them anyway. I love their brightness, and I love playing new strings...

Anyway, griehund, so many strings to choose from, not enough hours in the day to try them all. It looks like your quest is just beginning...

walrus

marcellis

Reaction score

Biggest, meanest-looking ground hog I've seen. It's got those hong-greee eyes.
I suspect that thing could take down a moose or tree a leopard. They's some vicious
rodents.

Back home, folks would tie a goat to a stump. Eventually, the groundhogs show up.
Sad thing. But that's the way of the world.

Oh...sorry. I lost the thread. It was about guitar strings. Right?
Back home, groundhogs cut their teeth on .14's - nickel-plated.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Back on the farm we had groundhogs that were easily 40 pounds. They're a menace because they dig HUGE holes that break horses.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
For reference in the last year I had to change from the 13-56's I love so much to lighter gauge due to the steady deterioration of my fretting arm and hand. I now run Elixir Nano PB lights or Light HD's ( light gauge fat strings with medium gauge high strings) on all my 6 string acoustics including the Jumbos. Still have Daddario EJ17's (Mediums) on my Orpheum 12 fret slope but I play it 1/2 step down so less tension. I had to go to Daddario Extra Light EJ41's (9-45) on my 12 strings as well which really helped a lot. It takes awhile to get used to the lighter gauge so you are no pushing the high strings out when you fret them but I made the adjustment over time. The switch to the lighter gauge sets has allowed me to still enjoy my guitars. Do I get the same tone and volume out of the lighter sets? No. Do the lighter sets sound bad? No, just a bit different but a small price to pay to be able to enjoy my guitars without the added pain to the bad shoulder and arm. Sorry to hear that you are having to go to a lighter set but glad to know you will still be able to enjoy playing.

TX

griehund

Reaction score
Cliff, I'd call this a "String Changing Event". Life is treacherous and variable and you just have to suck it up. Strings? You can change them..... easy.

Yeah, you're right, but after giving it some thought, the string change is the result of my life change and it's kind of therapeutic to obsess on the trivial rather than to deal with reality. Bottom line: entropy sucks.:mellow:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
griehund, I don't know how far you want to go, but I am really liking the Earthwood 80/20 Extra Lights I put on my D64 about a week ago. I've spent time this past year looking for an acoustic string that will play a bit easier without losing too much volume and tone.

Earthwood 80/20 strings are very bright, which may have an impact. But I think the gauges are what made a difference. Previously, I had tried D'Addario Phosphor Bronze EJ15's, gauges 10-14-23-30-39-47. I think I lost too much on the bottom end.

The Earthwood 80/20 Bronze Extra Light's are 10-14-20-28-40-50. So I've got great "playability" and I have not lost much tone from the Lights I was using. BTW, the D64 is a cannon, so losing a bit of volume is not a dramatic problem.

Just as a random FYI, I have used D'Addario EXL110W's (wound third) on my electrics for years, gauges 10-13-18w-26-26-46.

Anyway, this is not for everyone of course, but I'm strumming chords, playing lots of single note runs, etc. I love an "electric-ish" feel on an acoustic if I can get it. I hope going to Lights gives what you want as far as comfort and ergonomics go, but don't be afraid to try even lower gauges if your arthritis is still bothering you. Gotta be able to play!

walrus

griehund

Reaction score
griehund, I don't know how far you want to go, but I am really liking the Earthwood 80/20 Extra Lights I put on my D64 about a week ago. I've spent time this past year looking for an acoustic string that will play a bit easier without losing too much volume and tone.

Earthwood 80/20 strings are very bright, which may have an impact. But I think the gauges are what made a difference. Previously, I had tried D'Addario Phosphor Bronze EJ15's, gauges 10-14-23-30-39-47. I think I lost too much on the bottom end.

The Earthwood 80/20 Bronze Extra Light's are 10-14-20-28-40-50. So I've got great "playability" and I have not lost much tone from the Lights I was using. BTW, the D64 is a cannon, so losing a bit of volume is not a dramatic problem.

Just as a random FYI, I have used D'Addario EXL110W's (wound third) on my electrics for years, gauges 10-13-18w-26-26-46.

Anyway, this is not for everyone of course, but I'm strumming chords, playing lots of single note runs, etc. I love an "electric-ish" feel on an acoustic if I can get it. I hope going to Lights gives what you want as far as comfort and ergonomics go, but don't be afraid to try even lower gauges if your arthritis is still bothering you. Gotta be able to play!

walrus

I've played 13s all my life. When I play electric I use chrome flat 12s. I tried a set of 11s but they felt like spaghetti to me so I went back to 12s. I have a set of Curt Mangan 11-52 flats but I've yet to put them on. Right now I'm getting ready for a musical at church so I've been using my Yamaha with 12s. After that I'll start experimenting with the D40. I think I've got an extra set of EJ16s so I guess that's where I'll start. So far I've had to change fingering on 2 first position chords and doing a lot more barring. Hopefully the EJ16s will work. I guess I can live with that.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just curious how many folks use lighter than 13-56 strings on their dreads and jumbos. I use 12-52 on my little Yamaha but my fingers are old and crooked and I am beginning to have a hard time with the mediums on my D40. What to do what to do.

I use 12s on my Guild dread. the Martin strings do have a heavier E and G string vs standard lights, .54 and .25 respectively and I find that helps drive the top. I know the D25 sounds best with 13s but marginally at best and not worth the heavier tension, cable like feel on my finger pads.