Back from a week away in the Mtns.

MLBob

Reaction score
BMQCzc3.jpg

rt5Ga0m.jpg

The Mrs. and I took off for upstate NY last week. Great weather and scenery even if we were just ahead of peak fall color.

Took the JF 30-12 along and played by the lake most every day.

Lots of good side trips, hikes, and out-of-the-way little restaurants.

Caught a show at one of the small indoor concert venue's in the Woodstock Museum complex at Bethel Center (Borislav & Friends) on Thursday evening, and finished off the week catching the 'jazz brunch' at the Dancing Cat Saloon right up the road from the Woodstock site.

It's good to be empty-nesters!

EOxI83d.jpg

zPp3q

rt5Ga0m

zPp3q

Bob

Last edited:

Antney

Reaction score
Looks like a swell trip Bob. Even though I live on the ocean I always look forward to a trip to the mountains...especially in the fall. In fact me and the Mrs Antney are recent empty nesters ourselves and are heading up to the White Mountains next week.

Is that plaque the only marker for the event? I've always been curious about how it's commemorated. My brother who is 10 years older than me was there...in fact still has his tickets framed on his wall.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh wow, Bob!! That looks and sounds like FUN!! If you ever picked a good week to be gone from life (somewhat) this is a good one. Love the photos!! I feel calm just looking at them. I'm good with brunch until they introduce "jazz" of course, depending on the jazz. I've heard some I can really get into. But that's not usually what they play. But it looks and sounds awesome!! Glad you had a nice trip, amigo!! I'd go left towards the distillary!!! :devilish:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
in fact still has his tickets framed on his wall.

*sincker*

A friend had heard about the festival and we discussed going but decided not to because we weren't sure we could get tickets. If only we had known...

Antney

Reaction score
*sincker*

A friend had heard about the festival and we discussed going but decided not to because we weren't sure we could get tickets. If only we had known...

Yeah...by the time he got there the fences were down and the ticket takers weren't around either...nice souvenier

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Looks like a great trip!

Antney - how did your brother keep the tickets dry? I would have thought there wold be nothing left to hang on the wall!

walrus

Last edited:

MLBob

Reaction score
Is that plaque the only marker for the event? I've always been curious about how it's commemorated. My brother who is 10 years older than me was there...in fact still has his tickets framed on his wall.

The marker overlooks the hill above where the main stage was located (to the left in the picture). There is a museum building (a big -un!) up past the temporary tents at the top right, an huge outdoor performance venue beyond that + two smaller indoor venues, one inside the Museum building. They bring in performers all year round at the new venues. We missed Graham Nash by 3 days :sour:

I guess you could say it's being commemorated by the guy who bought the property, built the museum & venues, and is raking in the cash :devilish: Got a gift shop, cafe, the whole nine yards.

Last edited:

poser

Reaction score
OK Next time you head up into that neck of the woods, could find out the correct pronunciation of "Ashokan"? I've always pronounced it with the accent on the first syllable. Then Ken Burns produced that documentary and now it seems everyone pronounces it with the accent on the second syllable. (As in "Ashokan Farewell").

MLBob

Reaction score
We passed the Ashokan Reservior just SW of the town of Woodstock (...not the Woodstock of the festival - that was in Bethel after Woodstock denied the permits) on our way to do the Overlook Mountain hike while we were there. Anyone we spoke to pronounced it with the accent on syllable 2. The town of Woodstock was a big disappointment - has turned into "touristy" mecca with too many shops. We did consider trying to find the house that Dylan bought and recorded the "basement tapes" in, but were pressed for time and short on details.

Here are some pics of the outdoor venue at the Bethel Center at Yasgur's Farm ("real" Woodstock location), as well as the museum which houses additional indoor performance venues.

OeQ2QYG.jpg

nId60PN.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the outdoor venue at the Bethel Center at Yasgur's Farm ("real" Woodstock location), as well as the museum which houses additional indoor performance venues.

NO cows?
Sacrilege!!
Yasgur was a dairy farmer.
:biggrin-new:

poser

Reaction score
...We passed the Ashokan Reservior just SW of the town of Woodstock ... Anyone we spoke to pronounced it with the accent on syllable 2. ...

Thanks. I guess I'm in a pronunciation minority.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
No Cows, Al.
Wouldn't even let my dog on the grounds at the Sunday "farmer's market."

https://youtu.be/Xk4gfYwV3qM

Bob

Yeesh.
I'm reminded of the Twilight Zone episode where the old hillbilly's about to enter Heaven in the hills but they wouldn't let his dog in.
Just in time he realizes it's not really Heaven.

d9d842676f845762cde45b450c439fcf--movie-quotes-twilight.jpg

The Hunt

Last edited: