Guild Starfire II. (ID, Please)

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I've just registered with this forum as I'm the owner of a hollow body Guild Starfire II probably dating from 1962, going by the number inside (21512). It has a Bigsby trem that I imagine was not originally how the guitar was built as with the finish.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=d3VYVV9WbjNfWkVFZ1VGOEhTZXE5bTVvQUxkN2RR

Any thoughts on what the original colour may have been , I suspect black , or any other comments greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards.

<edited title for more eyes>`Default

Last edited by a moderator:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, that Bigsby is not the type that Guild would have used on that guitar. Yours would have had a harp tailpiece. The color would normally be noted on the label in some fashion if it was black, but Hans should be along in a day or two, and he should be able to tell you exactly when it was made and how it went out of the factory. He has all the records from that time period.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice guitar! Like Default said, not the original Bigsby. the F-hole binding (or is it painted on) isn't original either.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've just registered with this forum as I'm the owner of a hollow body Guild Starfire II probably dating from 1962, going by the number inside (21512).

Any thoughts on what the original colour may have been , I suspect black , or any other comments greatly appreciated.

Hello Godlesshorse,

Welcome! It looks like your guitar still has the original finish, albeit somewhat faded. Like you stated, it was originally black and it was listed as a Black Star II ( BS-II). It was completed on Thursday October 18, 1962, which means that your guitar will have its 55th birthday in 2 weeks.

Hope you will enjoy this little bit of information.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow! That is faded alright - I would have never guessed that was originally black...

I assume Godless will too, but I also enjoyed that little bit of information!

walrus

Reaction score
Hello Godlesshorse,

Welcome! It looks like your guitar still has the original finish, albeit somewhat faded. Like you stated, it was originally black and it was listed as a Black Star II ( BS-II). It was completed on Thursday October 18, 1962, which means that your guitar will have its 55th birthday in 2 weeks.

Hope you will enjoy this little bit of information.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Amazing , many thanks Hans