Guild D-40 Adirondack Who Has One?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The Tacoma built and the Richie Havens Tacoma built were the same structurally? Sitka w/Adi bracing?

Tacoma made 2 versions: the D40 Bluegrass Jubilee (Adi top) and D40 Richie Havens (Sitka top/Adi bracing), so think that answers your question?

poser

Reaction score
Oh man! I really wish you hadn't started this thread. Now I want one too!:disturbed:

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
Tacoma made 2 versions: the D40 Bluegrass Jubilee (Adi top) and D40 Richie Havens (Sitka top/Adi bracing), so think that answers your question?

Yes, I think it does, Al, thanks. I was thinking there was a Standard model and a Traditional model, but sounds like that may have started in Hartford? I guess the Hartford Standard model would have been the equivalent of the RHavens model without the truss rod sig? And the BJ would be the Traditional?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think it does, Al, thanks. I was thinking there was a Standard model and a Traditional model, but sounds like that may have started in Hartford?
Funny enough I thought that for a while too, but when reviewing my Tacoma '08 price list I downloaded a few years back, I noticed they used the term "traditional models", too.
In that case, though, I think it was to distinguish those (like the F40 and the F50) from the brand new "Contemporary Series" which they did market under that term.
For Tacoma's "Traditionals", I don't recall seeing 'em referred to that way for marketing, rather, the emphasis seemed to be on the use of Adi tops in the "Bluegrass" models.
Tacoma was the first to use Adi bracing and tops, that we know of. And it's a pretty safe bet that that's true, for reasons explained earlier (scarcity of the wood itself).
Tacoma F40's got Adi tops too but for some reason didn't get a "Bluegrass" designation.
I guess the Hartford Standard model would have been the equivalent of the RHavens model without the truss rod sig? And the BJ would be the Traditional?
Basically "yes". There were a couple of other "tweaks" to the Richie Havens like dual pickguards (2nd guard shipped in case for owner to install at their discretion), and gold-plated tuners, and only 2 colors, Natural and Black, but the basic wood formula stayed the same "IIRC".
Also think New Hartford's "Standards" got satin neck and eventually backs and sides, too, whereas Havens models were always 100% gloss finished.
But again those are "just details", without meaning to belittle their importance for some of us.

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank you again sir, that def helps. I'm SLOWLY getting my arms around the different iterations that Guild guitar models went through.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thank you again sir, that def helps. I'm SLOWLY getting my arms around the different iterations that Guild guitar models went through.

It's a jungle out there, I tell ya.
:glee:

The use of the terms "Standard" and "Traditional" have precedence going a lot farther back than New Hartford.
For example the '01 price list uses the header "Standard models" simply to distinguish regular production guitars from the "Benedetto/Custom Shop/ Limited Edition" models:
http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/files/Guild2001.pdf
The '87 list uses the "Traditional Series" header for all the new "GF" type guitars:
http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/files/87PL2.jpg

I didn't really know about historic precedence myself until maybe a couple of years ago when I was digging around that site to see what was new and those lists had been added.

So it looks like New Hartford simply used some existing "Guild terminology" to make the distinction between the "deluxe models" that featured 100% gloss lacquer amongst other details, and the "entry level models" that were intended to be as affordable as possible without compromising core design philosophy like solid tops.
They were very clear about the distinctions, but I think it was the first time Guilds were divided into 2 classes by "bling level".
So I think the terms were used a lot more and became associated with New Hartford builds in members' awareness.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Just to keep things lively, I revisited my '04 Corona and '08 Tacoma lists last night.
Corona used the "Traditional models" header to distinguish the US-builts from the brand new MIC "Guild Acoustic Design" series which were on the same list. I'd forgotten about that (the "traditional" usage, not the GAD's).
Regarding "Red Spruce" or Adi tops, Tacoma's F30's and F47's had 'em as well.
Also some of the Contemporaries which actually offered 3 different topwoods across the line, because "Western Red Cedar" was listed on a couple of those models in addition to "Spruce" and "Red Spruce".
There were 3 sizes of Contemporarys and each one got 2 top options: Dreadnought, F30 body, and F40 body. (the F30 sized "CO1" got the red cedar option, CO-2 got adi. The other 2 offered either type of spruce))
WE recently saw some Westerly DV6's with cedar tops, too, that was a big surpise to me, I thought Tacoma was the first place to offer it (besides on classicals)
F50's and D55's never got Adi tops, to some people's surprise.
Since tomorrow's Friday, there will be an open book quiz ...

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just to keep things lively, I revisited my '04 Corona and '08 Tacoma lists last night.
Corona used the "Traditional models" header to distinguish the US-builts from the brand new MIC "Guild Acoustic Design" series which were on the same list. I'd forgotten about that (the "traditional" usage, not the GAD's).
Regarding "Red Spruce" or Adi tops, Tacoma's F30's and F47's had 'em as well.
Also some of the Contemporaries which actually offered 3 different topwoods across the line, because "Western Red Cedar" was listed on a couple of those models in addition to "Spruce" and "Red Spruce".
There were 3 sizes of Contemporarys and each one got 2 top options: Dreadnought, F30 body, and F40 body. (the F30 sized "CO1" got the red cedar option, CO-2 got adi. The other 2 offered either type of spruce))
WE recently saw some Westerly DV6's with cedar tops, too, that was a big surpise to me, I thought Tacoma was the first place to offer it (besides on classicals)
F50's and D55's never got Adi tops, to some people's surprise.
Since tomorrow's Friday, there will be an open book quiz ...

Do I have to study ? 😁