Can Someone Explain the GUILD Logos to me?

PittPastor

Reaction score
The GUILD logo I am familiar with is the one on the banner of "Let's Talk GUILD" -- what I guess is called the "GUILD Shield."

But I have seen all kinds of variations. Do they mean something? Does it indicate where they were made? Or what year? Or anything? Or is it pretty much random?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Best to find a copy of Hans' book, The Guild Guitar Book. He gives the run down on the various Guild logos, at least as far as the first half of Guild's history. (Everyone is anxiously awaiting Vol. 2.)
It is currently out of print, but copies are out there, and, while the used copies are sometimes outrageously priced, you can get the Kindle version on the 'Zon.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fanciest = the G shield
Not so fancy = Some form of the Column sort of thing. " Chesterfield "
Other stuff = The spelled out Guild only.

Lots more details about the various forms and when they were used as well as the shape of the headstock are all in the Hans Handbook

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
You have your answer. As with many things Guild there is no consistent rhyme or reason and when you find a generalization that almost works - model names, logos, headstocks, etc. - you will find there are many exceptions. Logos are useful for determining when a Guild was built but...

Whatever the Guild question is, the answer is Hans' book, at least through 1977.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, and quick answer to one of your questions... No, the headstock logo doesn't tell you where an instruent was made (well, sometimes it does, indirectly), but more it helps identify the model. Orpheums, for example, have a headstock logo that's unique. Since they were only made in New Hartford, that's an indirect answer... There are lots of designs, particularly if you include the electric models too. Anyway, it's a lot of fun.

Yes, please get Hans' OT; it's a great read and covers a lot of your questions, at least through 1977.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Fanciest = the G shield
Not so fancy = Some form of the Column sort of thing. " Chesterfield "
Other stuff = The spelled out Guild only....
You forgot the Loving Cup on the Artist Award.
plvQMy5Ij