Carvin goes under

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine brought over a Carvin ss amp because it was cutting out. The entire amp is a 6x2 inch strip in a cavernous chassis. When it finally craps out, I plan on building an 18 watt with reverb in it. Literally impossible to service.
That applies to more than half the new amps being sold though, doesn't it?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Really, they should just reduce them to a pedal and an extension cabinet. Makes it easier just to throw that junk out.

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
IIRC, the Keisel family that has owned Carvin fron the outset are just changing the name back to the true family name. Same company, same family. It seems there was some sort of contractual issue way back in the day that kept them from using their family name, or something like that. Their biggest problem to me is what GAD said, horrible resale value on their guitars. I've played a few, and to me they have the same problem PRS's have in that they look really good but have zero soul. I know some people love them but to me they are just sterile.

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have 2 Carvin guitars, a dual humbucker DC727 (my very first guitar bought from a pawn shop) and a pearl blue Bolt (strat lookalike) that I stuck some Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots in, also bought used. The fact that Carvin's don't hold their value is the reason to buy these used, as long as you dig the neck they're great value IMO. I also have an X60B head that's been modded (bought used, of course) 2 6L6 and does a decent Marshall sound. Oh, and I have a Carvin 1x12 cabinet in blonde tolex with a Weber speaker which is also very nice...also bought used for a song. Great deals in Carvin gear on the used market, especially if you have some extra pups hanging around to swap as MOST of their pups don't do it for me.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There was a Carvin store outside Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley on Ventura Blvd. back in the day. I think it was near the Guitar Center. I drove past it but never went in. I did look at their catalogs, though.

jcwu

Reaction score
IIRC, the Keisel family that has owned Carvin fron the outset are just changing the name back to the true family name. Same company, same family. It seems there was some sort of contractual issue way back in the day that kept them from using their family name, or something like that.

I wonder if the Zappas are involved somehow....

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The Sears catalog WAS the Victoria's Secret catalog of the day...

Right but JC was a teen when Guns'n'Roses were still releasing new material.
Not sure if Sears was still printing a catalog, then, but pretty sure VS was......:glee:

Last edited:

marcellis

Reaction score
IIRC, the Keisel family that has owned Carvin fron the outset are just changing the name back to the true family name. Same company, same family. It seems there was some sort of contractual issue way back in the day that kept them from using their family name, or something like that. Their biggest problem tto me is what GAD said, horrible resale value on their guitars. I've played a few, and to me they have the same problem PRS's have in that they look really good but have zero soul. I know some people love them but to me they are just sterile.

correct. The Pa’s and amps are gone. But the guitars are called Keisel now -which is the family name.

Doesn’t matter. Falling electric guitar sales and deep Gibson discounts are affecting the industry. I expect a few electric guitar companies are going to close and Pac-Rim brands, including Epiphone, Guild and Gretsch will have to lower their prices.

There should be bargains on Korean Guilds next year for those in the market.