Installing strap

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That's very good to know if I go that route. Any downside to that? I imagine it adds some weight, but does it change tone or compromise the structure in any way?
Well I'm sure when they were built-in during construction the structural issues were considered and designed for, but have no idea if that's "addressable" with an "aftermarket" installation.
It does occur to me that simply gluing a block inside may not address all the possible additional stresses put on the side and therefore a heel installation would still be preferable.
Or if it was a block that was glued to the heelblock inside the guitar as well as the side, I think that'd offer enough stability/durability.
Since the sides actually contribute very little to sonic output, that's the job of the top which does almost all of the work, I don't think the "side mount" would have an effect on "tone".

crank

Reaction score
Does anyone have any examples of a guitar that was damaged from attaching a strap above the nut?

jedzep

Reaction score
If you think about it, you'd have to test it specifically to cause damage by just pushing down on the body at the neck joint to the extent that you see signs of stress like a split between the heel and side. Under playing conditions no one would exert that kind of pressure, so while I think it's possible to damage it by actually trying to, it's unlikely that a healthy guitar would suffer from that occasional pressure in the course of using that method of strapping.