Late 1950's Guild acoustic

Reaction score
I've had a late 1950's Guild acoustic for a few years. Bridge was rebuild by a vintage guitar shop in NYC, otherwise, all original.
Label is first design, from Hoboken, which would date the guitar from 1956-1959.
Folks from Guild have told me the serial number is unusual, not matching their model productions, and presumably the guitar was custom made order.
Always wondered who Vinny Roberts was, and why I can never find any information on this particular guitar.

Internet research leads me to a chord book which was co-authored by a Vinny Roberts, and recently, this picture (may or may not be him, however would certainly fit the timeline of the guitar's age). I reached out to the woman who took this photo, will update post when I hear back from her.

Anyone out there have any info or leads for me?

cc4d02e65cb35c712e13c2879b22a1d7_vinny_play.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Hopefully Hans Moust will be by because this is the type of "mystery" he can usually solve. I'm no expert, and often am wrong, but what I see in the pictures suggests a genuine 50's Guild and an unusual serial number, although what may be unusual is sloppy handwriting.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
nice! according to the label serial number and model number, That is a 1958 F-20 NT V.R.
(Natural top, Vinny Roberts)
looks like an early F-20 with a maple back.

serial number looks like 7789, for 1958.

Last edited:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've had a late 1950's Guild acoustic for a few years. Bridge was rebuild by a vintage guitar shop in NYC, otherwise, all original.
Label is first design, from Hoboken, which would date the guitar from 1956-1959.
Folks from Guild have told me the serial number is unusual, not matching their model productions, and presumably the guitar was custom made order.
Always wondered who Vinny Roberts was, and why I can never find any information on this particular guitar.

Hello JHT,

Welcome! Vinny Roberts was the name of a music studio during the '50s and '60s; I assume that Vinny was the name of the owner who started the studio. They sold instruments to their pupils that were somewhat 'customized' with the 'Vinny Roberts' name on them. I've seen guitars from different brands with the 'Vinny Roberts' name as well as other instruments, like accordeons, so he probably had an arrangement with various manufacturers.

The Guilds with the Vinny Roberts silkscreen on the headstock that I've seen were all from the second half of the '50s and apart from the name on the headstock they were all regular models; no special specs. Your guitar is an F-20NT from 1958.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome, James! Very cool guitar - a birth year for me!

walrus

Reaction score
Hello JHT,

Welcome! Vinny Roberts was the name of a music studio during the '50s and '60s; I assume that Vinny was the name of the owner who started the studio. They sold instruments to their pupils that were somewhat 'customized' with the 'Vinny Roberts' name on them. I've seen guitars from different brands with the 'Vinny Roberts' name as well as other instruments, like accordeons, so he probably had an arrangement with various manufacturers.

The Guilds with the Vinny Roberts silkscreen on the headstock that I've seen were all from the second half of the '50s and apart from the name on the headstock they were all regular models; no special specs. Your guitar is an F-20NT from 1958.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Thanks all for the responses! Hans Moust, super grateful for all the information!! Love the guitar, and it is pretty cool being able to piece together its history.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
JHT, let me be the first to make a plug for Hans' "The Guild Guitar Book." If you want to dive into Guild, that is most certainly the place to do it! Not only is it a fantastic reference for Guild's early period (up to 1977), but it is a fantastic read!

And, welcome to LTG!!!!!!!

gilded

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I did a little googling and found 'Vinny Roberts Studios' in the Bronx. An accordion site talks about the connection between VR Studios both teaching and selling accordians to students in Catholic Schools in the '60s.

Link:

http://allthingsaccordion.com/my-accordion-story/

“At 11 years old I begin three years of study with Vinny Roberts Studio 1962-1965. The Vinny Roberts Studio on Castle Hill Avenue in the Bronx, NY, comes to the Roman Catholic Schools to give lessons.”

That's all I got! Harry/gilded

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I did a little googling and found 'Vinny Roberts Studios' in the Bronx. An accordion site talks about the connection between VR Studios both teaching and selling accordians to students in Catholic Schools in the '60s.

Link:

http://allthingsaccordion.com/my-accordion-story/

“At 11 years old I begin three years of study with Vinny Roberts Studio 1962-1965. The Vinny Roberts Studio on Castle Hill Avenue in the Bronx, NY, comes to the Roman Catholic Schools to give lessons.”

That's all I got! Harry/gilded

Very cool! Thanks Harry!
So that photo of the gentleman playing the guitar might fit into the location and time period (as far as being mr. Roberts). Looks like NYC. Never heard back from that woman who took the photograph, however looks like she is from NJ originally.

jedzep

Reaction score
Let me be the first to remind you that the folklore value on this F20 won't supersede the market value. In great playable condition these are very nice 1K guitars for small bod freaks like me, so don't hold your breath on offers, James. Still, I hope you find that golden buyer, that is...if you're still selling. Unless a former Vinny Robts student is looking for this, that stencil doesn't help the value.

I suggest you get it to a competent luthier and have it looked over and set up properly. Then you could market it as a solid player.

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Very cool piece!!! Not small body guy but that piece has a really cool history..

coreyman97

Reaction score
Very cool guitar and story. I grew up pretty close to the Vinnie Roberts studio in The Bronx that is referenced. No knowledge of it from back in the day.