If You only Have Five Minutes...

PittPastor

Reaction score
Here's the sitch:

You're on your way somewhere, but you have five minutes. You glance over and see your Guild. (Or in TxBumnper's case one of your 2 dozen Guild's :tongue:)

You think: "Ya know, I can do one song before I leave."

The question is: Which song do you play?

No more than three, please. If you must, you can have three for an evening and three for a daytime, as sometimes the mood changes the choice.

My three (posted in Pastor Shawn's thread) :

If I am playing late at night, it is always "Stranger With the Melody" (Harry Chapin)

Otherwise it will be one of three (probably)

Kathy's Song (Paul Simon)
Corey's Coming (Harry Chapin)
Amazing Grace - Rising Son (Medley of the Classic Hymn transitioning into House of Rising Sun tune)

Your turn...

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately for me I only play my own music . I always play the one I’m writing at the moment till I can get it down good enough to record . This one is another 12 string piece .

CA-35

Reaction score
You know Graham Nash tells a story of having to catch a plane and somebody bet him he couldn't write a song in five minutes before he left for the airport.

He aptly named it "Just a Song Before I Go"

PittPastor

Reaction score
Nothing unfortunate about that! Writing your own music is always good. We were created in the image of a Creative God. Writing Music is the most natural thing in the world. Good Answer!

crank

Reaction score
I'm probably just gonna run some riffs I need to remember for a gig or noodle on some scales working out phrases, or whichever song I am learning at the moment.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
For me, Lyle Lovett's "If I Had a Boat."

During the six weeks beginning a month from now, it might be Joni Mitchell's "River."
Or, if I'm in an original mood, my song, "Teach My Hands to Play" (my eternal prayer and lament, though it's musically a fairly upbeat song).

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just spent an hour in the music room with my DV-52, three of my selections included "Someday Soon," "Loving Her Was Easier" and I finished with a cheery little ditty from Paul Simon, "A Most Peculiar Man." Don't know where that one came from; I haven't sung it in ages. Nothing like three sad songs to boost your spirits:tongue:

Next time I'll try to pick something more upbeat like "Eve Of Destruction," LOL

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If I am not picking one of my original songs and I have to pick I would say,

"Leaving on a Jet Plane" fingerpicked on the F612 in the style of the live duet with John Denver and Mama Cass Elliot.

"Seventeen" by the one and only Chris Ledoux on the JF100.

"Every Which Way But Loose" by Eddie Rabbit on the F50R.

There are plenty of others that can easily slide in there like "Danny's Song" by Anne Murray or "Good Old Boys Like Me" by Don Williams but I will go with that list for tonight, LOL!

TX

jedzep

Reaction score
From the awesome 1st Paul Simon solo, 'Everything Put Together Falls Apart'. Next, The Band's ' All La Glory', next, 'Girls Talk'...Elvis (the talented one) Costello. Next, 250 more.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
This thread has inspired me to work on some early Paul Simon. So, thanks, y'all.

(I have to say, though, that "April, Come She Will," one of the songs I'm working on, has never made much sense to me. The autumn winds blow chilly and cold in August? In Alaska, maybe.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think that "autumn wind" line goes with September, Jeff, that makes a little more sense anyway.

beecee

Reaction score
Dark Star, With Stephen Stills sitting beside me to sing it

GF60

Reaction score
Guild Total
My choice- I Guess He'd Rather Be In Colorado
Don't Think Twice...
Old Tennessee