Rare Guild "Firebird" created for Disney

bobouz

Reaction score
Love the burst & flow of the artwork.

A beautiful instrument.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
What was this done for? A movie? Just a promotional idea? I had the opportunity to work with Disney (not via guitar... my real job) and their attention to detail is mind-boggling. Honestly, when you first encounter it... it seems weird. Then it sort of sucks you in, and before long, you start thinking: "Yeah, why doesn't everyone think this way."
from that westerlyguildguitars link:
"Produced by one of the most respected American guitar manufacturers, this guitar was made in the Guild Custom Shop in Nashville, Tennessee. Designed by Disney Character Artist Chris Schnabel and Project Manager Edgar Reynolds, the Firebird Flat Top Acoustic Guitar is based on the Guild Custom Shop's Valencia model platform."

and is it basically the same size/shape as a GF-30, Hans? thanks!
As noted in the source above (taken from Guild Gallery #1):
The Valencia was the name for the original F40 and the Custom Shop Valencia revived the name and basic size.
http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/valencia.html
Note the upper bouts appear to have a slightly different outline than the GF's.
A GF30 is a 16" lower bout maple-bodied jumbo, though. As far as I can tell it was filling the F40 slot at the time of its manufacture.

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I stand corrected; there are three.
No, sounds like only two of the planned three were ever completed. From Ron Thorn himself: "I still have the soundboard, fretboard, headcap and bridge blank for the third one which never got finished."
There is also some other info about that built from Ron in there.
Ralf

Tim

Reaction score
That's right, the last one was never finished.

Ron was kind enough to send me some of the design papers that hopefully one day I can upload to the firebird page.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK, I stand uncorrected, LOL. In fact, I'm sitting down.