Found Guilds at my local Sam Ash , but...

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was getting my wifes car checked out, in Ontario, Ca and had them shuttle me to the mall while I waited. I figured the Sam Ash could take up my time. Lo and behold and nice little selection of new Guild guitars ! The only US one was an M-20. This is what their web site showed they had:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=...&ved=0ahUKEwiUyafWme_WAhUBwYMKHUGFAmEQ3pQBCAY

Dang long URL....

The room had a nice big humidifier, so that was a good idea. However, all the guitars straight across the room all either had really old strings or the direct air from the humidifier just really gummed up the strings and mode the action kinda' high. They all sounded dead and the strings felt sticky and looked very tarnished.That was where the Guilds were. A poor Ovation was near by and got the same treatment. 90 degrees from that wall is where the big selection of Taylors where hung. The more pricey ones where closer to the corner that shared the humidifier and would be as far from it's direct path. The strings looked new and sounded that way. I think I'll call the manager and voice my concerns that he'll never sell any of those guitars across from the moisture maker, with the way the room is laid out. The ironic part is that many guitars had a last string change label on them, and it was only about 2 months. They felt like 2 years in Florida. By the ocean.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
One of our local shops had the acoustic guitars right under the forced-air furnace vents. It was painful to watch. Gibsons and Guilds, drying out under the vents...I shoulda rescued the J-45...

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So did you play the M-20? Or just figure the strings were F**Kd and ..... this is a report about bad habitat. I was wondering (despite the strings) how the guitar sounded...... you know?? I've played some guitars with horrible strings that still blew me away. Just wondering is all......

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I did play the M-20. Yucky strings too, but it was such a fundamental tone guitar, it was able to dig it's way out more than the others. As a general rule, they all felt like the fretboard radius was flatter than my guitars. It may have been the neck profile rather than the radius, I think.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I did play the M-20. Yucky strings too, but it was such a fundamental tone guitar, it was able to dig it's way out more than the others. As a general rule, they all felt like the fretboard radius was flatter than my guitars. It may have been the neck profile rather than the radius, I think.
Seem to recall the 1-3/4 nut guitars (including the MIC's) do have a flatter radius, it complements the wider nut that appeals to fingerpickers.