Ralph Towner interview

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
Which 12 is that he's playing with the florentine cutaway?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
He's not unfamiliar with Guild 12ers.
img_0555.jpg

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
I can't really see the blurred vid but there was an F212C with the Florentine cutaway for a while...Hans would know what he's playing

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nope, not DD, considering this predates it. Custom build for him, I'm guessing.

Thanks for doing that legwork. I'll bet you're right.

I could practice every day all day long forever and not be that good. Impressive.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Doyle Dykes model?

Didn't the DD's get G-shields?
This one's got a Chesterfield.
Also the the DD's got fretboard markers, this one's bare.
I'm willing to bet that since he was an endorser, it was an actual custom build.
Aha!!
A google search yields this comment:
"Towner had his first F-212, right in time - after Paul Winter Consort - to join Weather Report for "The Moor" on "I sing the Body Electric".
Shortly after followed at least two custom-made at Guild's workshop: a Florentine cutaway F-212 and an abalone-less fretboard F-512: the first mahogany bodied and the second in Brazilian Rosewood, both with flat, classical-like 52 mm at nut fretboards as per Ralph's wishes, needing the same room he was used to while playing his classical guitar."
From here:
http://twogoodears.blogspot.com/2010/10/music-and-its-tools-ralph-towners-guild.html
(Apparently he ordered the guitar before he was an endorser, though!)
By the way thank you so much for the post.
Towner's been a hero of mine ever since my best buddy introduced me to him, and Oregon, back in the late '70's.
Gonna send him the link.
EDIT: a-ha, I see, as happens sometimes, somebody else was posting while I was still composing, but hey, nuthin' wrong with a little collaboration and corroboration, right?

Last edited:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
A new Ralph Towner interview. Some Guild visual content.
http://www.innerviews.org/inner/ralph-towner

Thanks for that - it is nice reading about him. I went down the ECM/Manfred Eicher/Keith Jarrett/Ralph Towner/Oregon/Terje Rypdal rabbit hole in the mid- to late-70's, and am forever grateful that I did. Hearing Mr. Towner on ECM led me to Oregon, which led me this, one of the more upbeat and uplifting pieces of music I know. Guaranteed to pull me out of almost any blue funk:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You know, I'm not really a big Towner fan, but that interview was a great read from a clearly intelligent and talented musician.

walrus