1961 X-350B switch question

nmiller

Reaction score
This arrived today. Replacement nut, saddle and two push buttons, but surprisingly little plastic shrinkage apart from the heel cap. The original case looks cleaner than the guitar.

My question: the TB, MB and TM switches don't always make contact with both pickups unless you forcefully hold the button down. I'm not familiar with this type of switch; is it likely to be dirty contacts, bent contacts, or something else? Given that I can still access a wide range of sounds, am I better off leaving it alone or is it easy to repair this thing?

yclQM16.jpg

rZS2dzt.jpg

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Don’t know anything about the switches, but holy moley that’s one beautiful guitar!
You must be in heaven.

matsickma

Reaction score
I owned a blond maple top X375 years ago. The switch assembly can get out of wack and have intermittent contact. This switch assembly was initially used by the Epiphone company.
Depending on how long the wires are on your guitar you may be able to pull the assembly out and inspect the mechanical connection and allignment in each switch position. Additionally you can "pile on" the keys and have multiple selected simultaneously.
One of the issue I had was some settings the tone was kind if muddy. If I recall correctly their are some capacitors used in some settings that roll off the high's more that I liked. Just take your time when making adjustments to the the relay type switches.

M

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous Guitar! Recently there was an Ebay seller that had several NOS X350/X375 pickup switches for sale on Ebay. It was within the last month or so and after the first one went for $300+ the next few sold for around $150. You might want to check out Ebay and see if there are any NOS switches still being listed. He also had several NOS switch tip sets for them as well.

I sent you a PM with some info on the previous auctions. Have a Good One!

TX

Last edited:

gilded

Reaction score
nmiller,

I had the Epi version a long time ago. Couldn't really switch buttons/sounds quickly (think of a 3 beat pause), but I never had intermittent problems. Cumbersome is the descriptive word that comes to mind, like punching buttons on a Waring blender......

If you'll remind me, I'll ask a long-time guitar-tech to the stars kinda guy that I'll be meeting Thursday or Friday at the Guitarlington Vintage show this week if there is a preferred method of cleaning/lubricating the switches.

I'm sending you my cell number in a PM. Text me tomorrow through Saturday and I'll run the guy down and ask him for tips!
He'll be set up about a 100 feet from my booth, not a big deal.

Harry/gilded

matsickma

Reaction score
Just curious...is your guitar the one that was posted on Guitar Center two weeks ago for $1800. If I recall correctly that guitar was missing two switch push buttons and was blond. Didn't know if it had a maple or spruce top.

Beauty of a guitar.
M

nmiller

Reaction score
Gorgeous Guitar! Recently there was an Ebay seller that had several NOS X350/X375 pickup switches for sale on Ebay. It was within the last month or so and after the first one went for $300+ the next few sold for around $150. You might want to check out Ebay and see if there are any NOS switches still being listed. He also had several NOS switch tip sets for them as well.

Thanks for the heads up, but I already contacted him and unfortunately that was his last set of buttons. The color of these replacements is pretty close, so I may just find a way to mark them myself.

Just curious...is your guitar the one that was posted on Guitar Center two weeks ago for $1800. If I recall correctly that guitar was missing two switch push buttons and was blond. Didn't know if it had a maple or spruce top.

Yup, same guitar. Even with shipping and sales tax, the price was too good for me to resist.

Additionally you can "pile on" the keys and have multiple selected simultaneously.

This was a great help, as I now realize I can get all the sounds without the use of those three troublesome switches. I tried taking the entire assembly out of the guitar, but the rout was too tight (something must have shifted or shrunk, since they got it in there once). I'm just going to leave it alone. If I ever decide to sell the guitar, I may get it fixed by someone with more patience and wiring experience, but for my needs it works just fine. The neck pickup is indeed quite muddy; I understand why some folks clip those caps.

drlucky

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, beautiful. Congratulations!

Now, excuse me while I clean the drool off my keyboard...