The X-150

Rialto1564

Reaction score
I figured as much about the acoustic tone on the smaller body instrument.

...X170's resit feedback better than a thin SF2 or 3 and a DE400.

What surprises me though is the X-170 being more feedback resistant than my slimmer Starfire II. Must have to do with differences in bracing? I believe the Starfire is parallel braced without a sound block? It's definitely quite resonant for a thinline.

In any case, never had a problem with feedback, probably cause I play mostly clean/slight drive.

Good to know that about the X-170 though. Another point for it...

Thanks

matsickma

Reaction score
That sound post on the X170 has a significant influence on natural resonant frequency of the body. Just as an open string sounds a lower note than a note played higher on the neck adding the sound post, which bonds the front of the guitar to the back of the guitar it creates a body vibration "node" at the bridge which effectively acts like a body resonance High Pass Filter thus removing the low frequency "howelling". It is more of a mechanical resonance frequency shifting technique.
M

dbirchett

Reaction score
I figured as much about the acoustic tone on the smaller body instrument.

What surprises me though is the X-170 being more feedback resistant than my slimmer Starfire II. Must have to do with differences in bracing? I believe the Starfire is parallel braced without a sound block? It's definitely quite resonant for a thinline.

In any case, never had a problem with feedback, probably cause I play mostly clean/slight drive.

Good to know that about the X-170 though. Another point for it...

Thanks

Read GAD's reviews on the X-170. If that doesn't make you want one, nothing short of playing one, will.

Jough

Reaction score
I am fortunate enough to own 2 X150s, one is an X150D. They are more open because they are fully hollow, they resist feedback because they are not solid wood tops. If you keep your amp to your left and behind you, you can get quite loud enough without feedback. These are excellent guitars, I sold my Gibson 175 shortly after getting the 150D because the Guild was sooooooo much better. I highly recommend them. I have a Corona with the Fender pickup in it that sounds great, so play it before you decide to change the pickups.

Rialto1564

Reaction score
Read GAD's reviews on the X-170. If that doesn't make you want one, nothing short of playing one, will.

Will do. Thanks.

...Oh yeah. I had come across that a few months ago, and that led me here. A very informative piece.

Last edited:

Rialto1564

Reaction score
I sold my Gibson 175 shortly after getting the 150D because the Guild was sooooooo much better. I highly recommend them.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps an X-170 wouldn't be a big enough jump from my Starfire, as far as a jazz box goes (which is what I'm aiming for) but an X-150/X-175 would be. I have a couple semi-hollows, and am wanting to dive into a larger archtop sound.

So I have to decide on what balance of acoustic/electric tone I want, what materials, how many pickups, etc. I lean towards a slightly more electric sound. A single pickup, laminated body and mahogany neck would probably work for me.

So, it's interesting to hear you sold the ES175 when you got the Guild. What in particular do you think set the instruments apart? Workmanship? Was the ES vintage?

Thanks again,

Rialto1564

Reaction score
That sound post...

Very interesting, though I'm ill equipped to weigh the physics involved. Sounds like it might do something similar to the "notch" switch on my amp (Rivera Jazz Suprema) which is there to minimize feedback and has an affect on the low frequencies. It changes the tone significantly, and both choices are good.

I did have a stint on the cello in younger days. Is the sound post of that sort, or a block under the bridge?

Thanks for the info and sorry for delay in reply.

Rialto1564

Reaction score
I apologize if I've already asked my yearly quotient of questions, but does anyone know what years the X-150/X-175 came with mahogany necks, (if ever on the 175?) and would I be right to think this would add a warmer/darker tone as opposed to brighter maple?

Thanks again.

Sleeko

Reaction score
Mine is a 2003 with a mahogany neck. Feels quite substantial, C-shaped, full and round. It's the thickest neck of all my guitars by far. Not sure how it affects tone but it sure feels good. If that helps.

RMWTW2q.jpg

Last edited:

matsickma

Reaction score
Sorry about the technical explanation which may also be disputed by some.
My engineering training is showing! I can claim a few graduation courses in Acoustics but they didn't play into my answer.

Bottom line the the "sound post" is a block of wood under the bridge that is about a half inch thick, five inches wide and is glued on the inside of the X170 to the front and back of the guitar. It restrictions the vibration of the front and back of the guitar and eliminates the low frequency resonate howling "feedback". This is one form of feedback thst us characteristics of guitars with a large air chamber.

Because the X170 is electric you can adjust your amp tone to make it sound full at the lower frequency without the feedback.

M