DV72 Material

Dorney

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what type of rosewood was used on the DV series? I have a 1993 DV72 and swear that the rosewood is significantly more figured/variegated than most other guitars that use a similar species. I thought that I remembered reading once that Guild used "old growth" rosewood for these models but I may be wrong.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG!
I went to the westerlyguilds website and there's no listing of which type of rosewood was used, so we might have to wait for the answer....together.
I could guess East Indian and see how far that goes. :tranquillity:

Joe

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you'll just get "Indian" rosewood as an answer, but in any case welcome to LTG! Those are super nice guitars! Do you have other Guilds? Again, welcome aboard!

Dorney

Reaction score
I think you'll just get "Indian" rosewood as an answer, but in any case welcome to LTG! Those are super nice guitars! Do you have other Guilds? Again, welcome aboard!

Thank you Chazmo - No other Guilds, just an older Taylor 514 and a soon to be shipped Blackbird Lucky 13. When I acquired the DV72 it was just dumb luck on my part, as I just thought it was a beautiful guitar and figured if it sounded as good as it looked I'd be happy. After owning it awhile and having several folks play the guitar who were much more experienced than myself and being absolutely floored by the tone, did I began to realize how special these models really are.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome! We'd love to see photos of your DV-72. It is probably Indian rosewood, but I'm guessing they hand-selected some nicer looking pieces for these models.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG!

I am sure we would all love to see pics of your DV-72... '93 would make it an early one!

Chazmo is correct... you will probably just get "East Indian" in response to your question. I have three DV-7X (a '94 turquoise 72, a '94 malachite 72MK, and a '95 DV-73), and all appear to be straight-grained EIR. I have seen some Westerly-built Guilds with highly figured EIR backs, tho', including the 1976 D-50 I owned for a few years prior to acquiring my DVs...

Dorney

Reaction score
Thanks Guys! I'll try to get some pictures soon and then "attempt" to post them (which may become a thread itself) - If I remember correctly, it is a fairly early production number, either #22 or #23 and defiantly has a nut closer to 1.75".

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Try Imgur for hosting your photos, it's free and works well. Pull up the picture you want after uploading and just click on the links for "BBC...etc (for Bulletin Boards like LTG) Once the photo is copied in that format, just paste it to your post.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Guys! I'll try to get some pictures soon and then "attempt" to post them (which may become a thread itself) - If I remember correctly, it is a fairly early production number, either #22 or #23 and defiantly has a nut closer to 1.75".

All three of my DV-7X (from early '94 into '95) are closer to 1-3/4" nuts than to 1-11/16"... I've gotten very use to the extra 1/16" of real estate.

So is your DV-72 is one of the 50 or so with the LK prefix in the SN? I'd be curious to know what the bracing around the sound hole looks like... pattern 2 or pattern 3 as shown in this diagram... (my discussion of dreadnaught bracing patterns is here...).

Dorney

Reaction score
All three of my DV-7X (from early '94 into '95) are closer to 1-3/4" nuts than to 1-11/16"... I've gotten very use to the extra 1/16" of real estate.

So is your DV-72 is one of the 50 or so with the LK prefix in the SN? I'd be curious to know what the bracing around the sound hole looks like... pattern 2 or pattern 3 as shown in this diagram... (my discussion of dreadnaught bracing patterns is here...).

Gardman your research on the different bracing patterns is truly impressive. Thank your for sharing. I just confirmed that mine is indeed a LK prefix (LK000022), mfg date 10/26/93 and incorporates the "style 3" bracing pattern. Hope that helps!

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
Welcome Dorney!

After owning it awhile and having several folks play the guitar who were much more experienced than myself and being absolutely floored by the tone, did I began to realize how special these models really are.

+1 :eagerness:

Mine is a '94 with the AD prefix SN. Definitely a 1 3/4 nut and, like GardMan, I love the extra breathing room. My research has shown the back/sides to be EIR. Here's of pic of my back:

AroO7nN.jpg

Looking forward to your pics! :applause:

Aristera

Reaction score
My '93 DV-72 LK000043 has a neck block date of Nov 1 1993. I saw another DV-72 '93 LK000033 for sale a while back with a neck block date of Oct 28 1993. Alot of activity in a couple of weeks.

Dorney

Reaction score
Welcome Dorney!

+1 :eagerness:

Mine is a '94 with the AD prefix SN. Definitely a 1 3/4 nut and, like GardMan, I love the extra breathing room. My research has shown the back/sides to be EIR. Here's of pic of my back:

AroO7nN.jpg

Looking forward to your pics! :applause:

Beautiful back! I can see the similarities in mine. I swear the rosewood on these guitars has a "richer" look than many that I have seen on the big 3 manufacturers. Perhaps I have ingested too much of the Guild kool aid?

Dorney

Reaction score
My '93 DV-72 LK000043 has a neck block date of Nov 1 1993. I saw another DV-72 '93 LK000033 for sale a while back with a neck block date of Oct 28 1993. Alot of activity in a couple of weeks.

I'm with you - a little surprised at the rate of production for a limited-run guitar. But, I suppose if you compare that to Taylor's production numbers it's fairly minuscule.

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
Beautiful back! I can see the similarities in mine. I swear the rosewood on these guitars has a "richer" look than many that I have seen on the big 3 manufacturers. Perhaps I have ingested too much of the Guild kool aid?
I flows like water here! :excitement:

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm with you - a little surprised at the rate of production for a limited-run guitar. But, I suppose if you compare that to Taylor's production numbers it's fairly minuscule.

Comments from Hans Moust, author of the Guild Guitar Book, LTG member, and most revered Guild Guru, suggest there were about 50 DV-72s made in 1993 with the LK SNs, and SN lists include 197 with AD SNs made in 1994. Given uncertainties in Guilds SN lists, that means about 250 DV-72s were made... that's pretty limited compared to the number of D-25s!

That number is mostly turquoise-trimmed DV-72s, but includes a smaller (uncertain) number of DV-72 MKs with malachite trim (I'd guess on the order of 20; I have one from '94, there is another owned by an LTGer, and I have seen pics of two others) or pink coral trim (I have seen pics of one).

The DV-73 (turquoise, red coral, black onyx, and nickel silver trim) was more limited... about 50 made (I have one from '95), about a dozen or so DV-74s (look very similar to DV-73, but with pink coral? One was for sale in Atlanta a few years back), about 10 DV-76s, and 1 DV-82. I have never seen pics of the last two, and have no idea how they were trimmed out.

Last edited:

Dorney

Reaction score
Comments from Hans Moust, author of the Guild Guitar Book, LTG member, and most revered Guild Guru, suggest there were about 50 DV-72s made in 1993 with the LK SNs, and SN lists include 197 with AD SNs made in 1994. Given uncertainties in Guilds SN lists, that means about 250 DV-72s were made... that's pretty limited compared to the number of D-25s!

That number is mostly turquoise-trimmed DV-72s, but includes a smaller (uncertain) number of DV-72 MKs with malachite trim (I'd guess on the order of 20; I have one from '94, there is another owned by an LTGer, and I have seen pics of two others) or pink coral trim (I have seen pics of one).

The DV-73 (turquoise, red coral, black onyx, and nickel silver trim) was more limited... about 50 made (I have one from '95), about a dozen or so DV-74s (look very similar to DV-73, but with pink coral? One was for sale in Atlanta a few years back), about 10 DV-76s, and 1 DV-82. I have never seen pics of the last two, and have no idea how they were trimmed out.

Thank you for the information. I've read a lot about DV series, but this was the first time I have heard of the 76 & 82 - would love to see details for these models. On a side note, do you have a string preference for your 72's? I have personally tried Pearse Bluegrass, Elixer 80/20 Nano's and I believe GHS all with good results.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank you for the information. I've read a lot about DV series, but this was the first time I have heard of the 76 & 82 - would love to see details for these models. On a side note, do you have a string preference for your 72's? I have personally tried Pearse Bluegrass, Elixer 80/20 Nano's and I believe GHS all with good results.
I've tried John Pearse phosphor bronze and 80/20 bronze on all of them, but have settled on John Pearse PB Bluegrass on the 73, PB New mediums on the blue 72, and PB lights on my 72 MK.

I have never seen any info on the trim of the DV-76 and 82 models... every so often I google search for images, but have never turned one up. My fantasy would be a DV-72 with turquoise purfling around the body. Sort of a D-100 done in turquoise (replace all the D-100s abalone purfling and trim with turquoise).

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Willie used to sell old stock bridges and other parts from the Westerly plant on eBay ten or so years ago. I bought a couple of Guild rosewood bridges from him in my early days of Guild acquisition... I guess I was a little paranoid about a bridge splitting and needing to be replaced. Never needed them, so sold them off to another LTGer who was doing a restoration.

I think Hans told us that Willie passed away a few years back, now.